Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The concept of WebOS is great, but unfortunately, it's execution is abysmal. The OS is unfinished even to this day, every new software update introduces more bugs than it fixes, random crashes, resets, and hardware issues such as the headphone getting stuck in headset mode, sometimes randomly. As you can imagine, it's not fun picking up a call, saying "hello" 5 times like a doofus, only to realize that you can't hear the other person because the damn phone thinks it has a headset plugged into it. Even with the 800 Mhz overclock, the UI is very laggy, because Palm, in their infinite wisdom, decided to not enable video acceleration of the UI at launch date, forcing the CPU to do not only the necessary operations and multitasking, but also all of the visual effects. I guess they left that to a later date, which still has not come.

Now, the future of WebOS is questionable. Nobody knows what HP will ultimately do with it, but it's pretty clear that HP is not terribly interested in the mobile phone business. I'm afraid that all of these speculations of a super Palm Pre version 2 are just pipe dreams. I would bet money on WebOS for mobile phones dying with the Pre. Palm has virtually no market share, Flash Player 10.1, which was supposed to be out before Android is nowhere to be seen (available for Android), and given WebOS's shaky future and all of it's problems, you would be wise to do like 97% of the other smartphone users, and buy an Android, Apple, or RIM device.

I imagine that I will be flamed for this post, as this is a Palm Pre fan site, but I feel that this needed to be said. I also think that many people will agree with much of what I wrote, yet will still say that this is the best phone. That's fine. I simply disagree.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    The concept of WebOS is great, but unfortunately, it's execution is abysmal. The OS is unfinished even to this day, every new software update introduces more bugs than it fixes, random crashes, resets, and hardware issues such as the headphone getting stuck in headset mode, sometimes randomly. As you can imagine, it's not fun picking up a call, saying "hello" 5 times like a doofus, only to realize that you can't hear the other person because the damn phone thinks it has a headset plugged into it. Even with the 800 Mhz overclock, the UI is very laggy, because Palm, in their infinite wisdom, decided to not enable video acceleration of the UI at launch date, forcing the CPU to do not only the necessary operations and multitasking, but also all of the visual effects. I guess they left that to a later date, which still has not come.
    Sadly, I have to agree 100% with this post. While I enjoy my phone a lot, and in particular the kernels developed by this community (which is great btw), I would not really recommend this phone to anyone. Sure, the argument can be made that all smartphones have their issues, but the Pre is far and away the worst in my opinion. The reason I got it is mainly because it's the cheapest smartphone available (and my plan costs the same as it did when I was on a non-smartphone plan). But the issues are very frustrating, and the OS certainly feels like a WIP that doesn't have enough attention turned to it. There are some good apps, but nothing compared to iPhone or Android apps. The OS is not nearly as polished or efficient as the other major mobile OS's. My wife has an iPhone 3GS and has had absolutely 0 issues with it, and I have had an issue almost every week since I have had it (since early April), including the locked in headset mode issue, screen closing = dead screen issue, etc. (all of which as you can see are rampant in these forums). In all honesty, given Apple devices' stability, I'd have to recommend forking the extra coin and getting the iPhone 4, although if you're in the US there are many problems with dropped calls on AT&T depending on your area.
    Ok ... please keep the posts on-topic. The OP isn't asking about other phones/platforms. We have other threads for those debates. Thanks
    I have had my Pre for over a year now, no issues, love webOS,the best UI for mobile phones out IMO, the universal search, muti-tasking and especially having a real keyboard. It does everything I need from a smarphone and I also like it's compact size, fits in my pants pocket nicely. With HP purchasing Palm and expanding webOS to tablets and other devices I feel the future looks bright for future devices and more apps. I just feel that needed to be said. I definitely would recommend the Pre!
    I have had my Pre since July 0f 2009 and love it. There have been moments when I thought about switching. Most recently, with the Evo launch but I now am perfectly satisfied with my Pre and am in no hurry to switch. I love the way it fits in my hand, the OS, etc, etc. Does it still have shortcomings? Of course, every phone I know (especially in the first year) has problems. For example: I have already seen articles/posts about the "horrible battery life." (Sound familiar??). If I were you I would not hurry about making your decision - play with some phones (a lot) until you decide what best meets your needs and which one you like the the best. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    I have had my Pre since June 13, 2009. I love everything about it. The sleek and intuitive WebOS makes it easy to navigate, while the processor has enough power to punch through the day. If battery life is a problem you can always buy a spare for 20 bucks. While I love my Pre, it is starting to look a little dated. I honestly could have stuck with my Centro for a good while longer, though. If you need a new phone, then go for the Pre. However, the Centro is great, too. You can decide if you want to wait for the next generation WebOS phone, but there is no telling when that may be. Good luck and godspeed to you!
    FWIW we got a Pre Plus a couple weeks ago. First smartphone after years of a simple phone. Have not put any apps or mods on the phone at all, and it does what it said it would do. I like it a lot. GPS works just fine, as do the mobile hot spot and the web. The screen is legible in full sun. the key pad works (except for my fat finger errors).

We are on extended network, so had to ship the phone back home to get it activated. We are a bit on the fringe, most of the time we get 2 or 3 bars and 3G comes and goes, but the phone connects and works.

For us the killer app is the mobile hot spot, as the alternative is either dial-up or driving off to find an open WiFi.

Just a thought. If one needs a bunch of apps and mods on a phone maybe they just got the wrong phone. Also, just about any phone will be "obsolete" in a year or two. I would definitely do it again.
    bought mine in october and love it. anytime i go and play with someone else's phone, or mess with one in a store, it amazes me that people can use them. then i realize that it's because they just don't know better. by which i mean "haven't spent a week with webOS."
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Ok ... please keep the posts on-topic. The OP isn't asking about other phones/platforms. We have other threads for those debates. Thanks
    Since I feel that this was at least partially directed at me: you are right, the OP did not directly ask about other phones or platforms. Which is why nobody told him about any other phone or platform. All that me and another poster did was suggest a different platform instead of the Pre, and since the OP asked about our opinion of this phone, it is well within the scope of the thread to provide a negative review and offer suggestions for other phones based on the shortcomings of this one.
    Palm Pre, webOS, Droid... all that matters is what works for you. Go into the store and start playing. Search around the forums and the web and gather as much info as you can, then go pick your favorite up!

I've had my Sprint Palm Pre since Sept. 2009. I was honestly ready to jump ship about 3 weeks ago and go with something else, but then I decided to start using this community to it's full ability. I've downloaded kernels, patches, homebrew apps, etc. and now... well now... it is exactly where I want it to be. Admitably, in my opinion, Palm should have come out of the gate with MOST of the patches/fixes that are contained on this site, but hey, as long as we have this community I think we're in good hands!

Like I said, just start trying out all of the different devices and phones at the store and if you decide on a webOS device, be open to homebrew. You'll be oh so happy you made the choice! Good luck!
    OK... there are always people who are going to complain about something. For me, it's bad luck with hardware, but the majority of folks have not faced this. For others, it's some picky-ness about how many cards they want to open, or whether or not it lets them fly.

For a phone, it does a lot and it does it better, simpler and prettier than any of the others. For what it doesn't do, there are a bunch of great guys on this site, that can help you make it do most, if not all of what you want. That versatility, married to such a slick, simple interface, is what makes Pre so great.

On a basic level, it will organize your life just like your Centro. On a more advanced level, you can constantly reinvent this phone nearly every time you get bored.

Scared about taking the plunge? Go on Craig's list in your area. You will find someone offering up a Pre they decided not to keep, for at or under $150. Pay at or under your upgrade cost for a Pre, keep your upgrade, don't sign a new 2 year contract. Seems like a Win/Win.

And, for those that are saying, "wait for the next Web OS phone" no offense people, but you really have to live life like you will never see one. Palm is no longer manufacturing Pre's. They MAY no longer be making any more of the Pre Plus. HP has said specifically that they didn't buy Palm to go into the smartphone business. They have been pretty clear that they bought Palm to cannibalize the WebOS for their tablet and netbook product line. Furthermore, Sprint, and Verizon are much more committed to Android (Sprint especially with a 4G phone), and AT&T to the iPhone. WebOS is the little OS that should have been but wasn't. I think it's totally worth the leap now, to be enjoyed while it lasts (what the heck could it hurt?). Best case scenario, I'm wrong. Believe me, I want to be. Worst case scenario, we last long enough for Android or iPhone OS to ramp up to a more comparable product.

Good luck with your decision!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    The concept of WebOS is great, but unfortunately, it's execution is abysmal. The OS is unfinished even to this day,
    Man, do you remember when the iPhone first came out?

it had copy and paste, a video camera, no bugs whatsoever, and you could tether with it.

same with Android too, it was flawless one year into development. It didn't crash at all!

Have you checked out RIM's Blackberry OS? Its amazing, it does all these cool awesome things like an amazing GUI, and apps actually close when you want them too. Surfing the web on a Blackberry is AWESOME too!

... end sarcasm.

Man, the WebOS even from launch was pretty epic.

When someones biggest complaint is that the screen is a bit laggy, you know that they are digging pretty deep for excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    OK... there are always people who are going to complain about something. For me, it's bad luck with hardware, but the majority of folks have not faced this. For others, it's some picky-ness about how many cards they want to open, or whether or not it lets them fly.

For a phone, it does a lot and it does it better, simpler and prettier than any of the others. For what it doesn't do, there are a bunch of great guys on this site, that can help you make it do most, if not all of what you want. That versatility, married to such a slick, simple interface, is what makes Pre so great.

On a basic level, it will organize your life just like your Centro. On a more advanced level, you can constantly reinvent this phone nearly every time you get bored.

Scared about taking the plunge? Go on Craig's list in your area. You will find someone offering up a Pre they decided not to keep, for at or under $150. Pay at or under your upgrade cost for a Pre, keep your upgrade, don't sign a new 2 year contract. Seems like a Win/Win.

And, for those that are saying, "wait for the next Web OS phone" no offense people, but you really have to live life like you will never see one. Palm is no longer manufacturing Pre's. They MAY no longer be making any more of the Pre Plus. HP has said specifically that they didn't buy Palm to go into the smartphone business. They have been pretty clear that they bought Palm to cannibalize the WebOS for their tablet and netbook product line. Furthermore, Sprint, and Verizon are much more committed to Android (Sprint especially with a 4G phone), and AT&T to the iPhone. WebOS is the little OS that should have been but wasn't. I think it's totally worth the leap now, to be enjoyed while it lasts (what the heck could it hurt?). Best case scenario, I'm wrong. Believe me, I want to be. Worst case scenario, we last long enough for Android or iPhone OS to ramp up to a more comparable product.

Good luck with your decision!
    Speculation is just a fancy word for "i dont know anything"

I will believe you the minute that Jon Ruby himself says "we have no future WebOS device in the pipeline"
    negative reviews? from who?!!!! android or iphone users? i have had mine for 6 month, its my first palm, and as long as webos is around i will never go to anything else! i work for a wireless company (wont say which, just that its one of the big 3), and i have used andriod, blackberry, and messed around pleny w/ friends and family's iphones and i will NEVER go to one of those after useing the pre. I know a few people that actually moved from the 3G iphone to the pre and they say they love it waaaay better than the iphone. seriously, webos and the pre are tops! webos is what andriod wishes it were. and the iphone os, not even close!
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    bought mine in october and love it. anytime i go and play with someone else's phone, or mess with one in a store, it amazes me that people can use them. then i realize that it's because they just don't know better. by which i mean "haven't spent a week with webOS."
    a week? more like a day. webos is way more intuitive imo than any other smartphone os.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I picked mine up when it launched on AT&T on May 16th(ok, had to wait until the 19th for it to show up), and I love it. I was on a Treo 680, and the Pre Plus was a huge improvement.

Now, there have been a few things going on behind the scenes that I don't think has been mentioned. There was word with the Verizon Palm Pre Plus that build quality had improved compared to what Sprint was offering. When the AT&T version came out, there was yet another boost to build quality. Then, there was word that even on Verizon, the newer devices were also the higher quality builds. If the phone ships with WebOS 1.4, it is a part of the latest build, and has the better build quality that we see in the AT&T release version.

In addition to that, there will always be the minor tweaks over time that improve the quality of production, even when there are no obvious differences. So, even if you are on Sprint, if you can find one that comes from the factory with WebOS 1.4 on it, you will be in better shape than if you get one with an earlier version.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the normal behavior is to sync to a Google Gmail account, or a Yahoo account, and no matter what, you can always access your account from a computer, so no fear of data loss. This is unlike the old PalmOS devices where you had to remember to sync your phone to the computer regularly, just in case.

The Pre...it feels very natural to use, and really has more style than the boxy looking devices from other manufacturers. It may not be as big as the newer phones, but in most ways, the Pre is just a better device thanks to WebOS.

If you are worried, you can always buy one off contract so you can get a NEW device on contract when the time comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Speculation is just a fancy word for "i dont know anything"

I will believe you the minute that Jon Ruby himself says "we have no future WebOS device in the pipeline"
    I believe these take it way past speculation:

HP is Not Interested in Making Smartphones | Mac|Life

HP: Palm buy not about smartphones | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

http://www.precentral.net/hp-ceo-we-...phone-business

My point, for originally stating this, and to keep this on topic, was because people are telling the poster to wait for the next WeOS phone. It's like people aren't listening. This all but says there won't be one. to which I say, "so what"? And suggest the poster should get one now.

Why worry about the future, really? The OS will exist, even if it's not on future SmartPhones so it will continue to exist for the foreseeable future. It's an amazing platform, most users have had good luck with hardware, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T will continue to support it for at least another couple of years, even if they get out of selling it, and this amazing group will still be supporting each other (with core members making some amazing innovations).

To me, that's totally worth the price of admission. Again, plenty of phones on Craigslist if you want to hedge your bets.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me

it had copy and paste, a video camera, no bugs whatsoever, and you could tether with it.

same with Android too, it was flawless one year into development. It didn't crash at all!

Have you checked out RIM's Blackberry OS? Its amazing, it does all these cool awesome things like an amazing GUI, and apps actually close when you want them too. Surfing the web on a Blackberry is AWESOME too!

... end sarcasm.

When someones biggest complaint is that the screen is a bit laggy, you know that they are digging pretty deep for excuses.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm on Verizon with a Pre Plus and there has been VERY LITTLE wrong with this phone. I'm am also on my original since launch day. Not one replacement.
    And I also upgraded from a Centro that I loved. No regrets at all at doing so.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted

... end sarcasm.

It's pretty bad when you have to go back 3 years to the original iPhone, just to make a point. Back then, it was excusable not to have copy and paste. Very few phones had it. But at least it was a reliable and smooth phone. The Pre has been out for over a year, and it is still not. RIM does not even apply to us, as it is a different phone with a different purpose, and millions of corporate users will tell you that RIM is great at what it does. Android cleaned up significantly, the Pre did not. Did I mention that the Pre has been out for over a year? I can understand giving Palm a pass at initial launch if it promptly fixes problems, but not a year later. And if you bothered to read what I wrote, you would see that a laggy UI is the least of my complaints.

OP: what one poster suggested, to play with lots of phones and pick the one you want, is the best suggestion. You came to a fan site, don't expect unbiased opinions. It's like going to a Ford site and asking for an opinion on Chevy. The point is, this phone has serious issues, whether it's fans admit to it or not. If you can deal with them, it's still a nice phone. If you want something that simply works, it's not the phone for you. But as you mentioned, you read lots of negative user reviews on this phone. That should tell you something. I'm afraid that by asking on this site, you will be pushed into something that you will not be happy with.
    what are the extra fees with evo (other than $10 for 4g i guess)?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast