1.    #1  
    Team, can someone please confirm the correct steps for this? There is a discrepancy between what is listed on palm's site and the one listed on precentral's site. Please confirm the correct steps. Thanks.

1.Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet.
    2.If you can, turn off your phone. See Restarting and resetting your phone .
    3.Remove and reinsert the battery. See Replacing the battery on a Pre phone or Replacing the battery on a Pixi phone.
    4.Press and hold the volume up button and connect the USB cable to the phone.
    5.Release the volume up button when the screen showing the large USB icon appears.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...arrier_en.html

The above is from palm's official website.

The following is from precentral's website.

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre

You are now starting your phone in Recovery Mode:

7.1. If your phone is on, turn it off by pressing and holding the power button and then tapping Turn Off.
    7.2. If your phone's USB cable is connected to your computer, unplug it. Do not connect your phone back to your computer until the webOS Doctor tells you to.
    7.3. Hold the Volume Up button on the side of your phone down while you remove and then reinstall the battery.
    7.4. While still holding down the Volume Up button, plug your USB cable into your phone. Continue holding the button down until the full-screen USB logo appears on the screen.
    7.5. Make sure that you have connected the USB cable directly into your computer, not through a USB hub or other device. A "Found New Hardware" wizard may run.

The key diff is whether to hold the volume up button during the remove and reinstall of the battery.
    No need for a wall outlet instruction really. Follow the Precentral instructions.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    ...I don't get why the wall outlet step would be required...
    I've never understood that step either. Skip that one and everything moves along fine.
    (unless they put that step in there for people who may have a really low batt)
  4.    #4  
    the question is whether to hold volume up button during removal and reinsert of the battery and not the wall outlet stuff. Thanks.
    The wall outlet step, although seems pointless is somewhat valuable depending on how much battery you have. It is to ensure basically the device doesn't die mid flash

Die mid flash = very bad
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Use the steps on the WebOS Internals Wiki recovery page - they have not failed yet on any device.

-- Rod
    Which webOSdoctor should I use for my unlocked device? I am not running Linux on my computer so metadoctor is not an option for me.
    During the webosdoctor installation(%8) it says "Your device is not compatible with this version of WebOSdoctor" and that is why I am asking which is the "compatible" version.
    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    During the installation it says "Your device is not compatible with this version of WebOSdoctor" and that is why I am asking which is the "compatible" version.
    If you have an unmodified device, you should type the serial number into www.palm.com/rom

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    This is not a debate, or anything - I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I was told that a webos doctor could be performed without putting the phone in "Recovery Mode", and that's what I did - unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The next button wouldn't come available, until I enable recovery mode first. I'm trying to figure out how I wasn't able to make this happen.

That's all -
    According to Palm support, these are the steps:

There are three parts to the process of restoring your phone with webOS Doctor:

1.Downloading webOS Doctor to a computer.
    2.Running webOS Doctor.
    3.Restoring backed-up data to your phone.
    Requirements
    webOS phone:

■You are using the correct Palm AC charger and Palm USB cable with good connectors.
    ■The battery is charged to at least 30%.
    Computer:

■Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), or Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). Not recommended for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
    ■Available USB port (not a hub or secondary port).
    ■Java 1.5 or later is installed. If you are not sure about what version of Java you have, or even if Java is installed, go to java.com: Java + You and click the Do I have Java? link to install the latest version of Java.
    ■200MB of storage space.
    ■Internet connection.
    Downloading webOS Doctor
    1.From your computer’s web browser, go to palm.com/ROM .
    2.Enter the serial number located under your phone’s battery (see Replacing the battery on a Pre phone or Replacing the battery on a Pixi phone. ) and click Continue.
    Important
    Make sure you accurately type the serial number that you find on your phone. You serial number is used to identify the proper version of webOS Doctor. Entering an incorrect serial number can cause an error.

3.On the next page, the Java version on your computer is checked to verify that it meets the requirements. If it doesn’t, you can download a Java update before clicking Continue.
    4.Click Download Now. webOS Doctor is downloaded and verified.
    If you experience problems while downloading webOS Doctor, see Troubleshooting HP webOS Doctor .

Running webOS Doctor
    1.When the webOS Doctor application has finished downloading to your computer, it launches automatically. Select the language you selected on your phone, and click Next.
    2.Confirm your language choice.
    3.Click Accept to accept the terms of use.
    4.Click Next. webOS Doctor checks your system.
    5.After webOS Doctor finishes checking your system, connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your phone directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device.
    6.Click Next. You may need to wait up to 15 minutes for the Next button to be available. If the Next button does not highlight after 15 minutes, see Troubleshooting webOS Doctor .
    Warning
    Do not disconnect your phone from your computer during the recovery process. Disconnecting the phone cancels the recovery process and may damage your personal information.

Note
    If the battery level is low, the recovery process first charges your battery. This can take up to one hour.

7.When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    8.Wait a few minutes for your phone to reset, then log in to your Palm profile on your phone (see How to restore data after an update ). The reset is complete when Card view appears on your phone.

If you experience problems while running webOS Doctor, or if your phone is still unresponsive after the reset, see Troubleshooting webOS Doctor .
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    the key there is the statement "you may need to wait up to 15 minutes for the Next button to be available."

thanks for posting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you have an unmodified device, you should type the serial number into www.palm.com/rom

-- Rod
    According to www.palm.com/rom I need to download this.

webOS® Doctor™ for Palm® Pre™ for o2. Build o2.236.222, webOS 1.4.5

but I am not on O2 network and using a different provider. Would it make difference?
    what provider are you on? did you buy your pre from the provider you are using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what provider are you on? did you buy your pre from the provider you are using?
    Not from provider.
    I bought this smartphone as unlocked from Germany and using it in Türkiye with local provider Turkcell.
    You want the 1.4.5 WR doctor. Get it from the WebOS Internals WebOS Doctor Versions wiki page.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    From past experience, I have gotten to recovery mode using the AC charger method without pulling the battery. The AC charger method is more convenient than pulling the battery IMO.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    on XP you shouldn't need Recovery Mode on a healthy device.
    Try this:
    Connect the device (front USB port)
    Click the Start button and select Run
    Type: services.msc
    Press Enter
    Locate the Palm Novacom service and restart it
    Start the webOS Doctor
    It worked like this for our Pre/Pixi +/- but not for Pre 2. I'm not sure if it is WebOS 2.0 or the Pre 2 but you must be in recovery mode to Dr. I haven't gotten it to work any other way. You get the next button but either hang at the charging message or get an error after several minutes of being on the charging screen.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    RUSH just wanted a pointer how to doctor without recovery mode, which is perfectly possible as well.
    Recovery mode is only really necessary when your device is either messed up, or to troubleshoot the doctoring procedure.
    I was never able to doctor without going through recovery mode. Saw something about waiting 15 mins? Maybe I'm just impatient.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I've done it without using recovery mode. Only time I needed it was when my Pre was stuck in a boot loop.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!