Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just did the Uberkernel/Govnah stuff. I don't know that much about it (maybe I shouldnt have done it?) but I'm just wondering how hot is too hot. Not sure what all the settings mean/do but at one point the temp was up to 48C. Didn't "feel" hot but thats pretty hot converted to Fahrenheit isn't it?
    Don't go over 49 degrees, is what the kernal gurus tell us. I've had it at that many times, my Pre runs hot, especially in the car, especially on touchstone.
  3.    #3  
    So just start closing cards if it reaches that level?

I'm not sure which settings are the best. I have it on "fixed speed 720" (whatever that means)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post

I'm not sure which settings are the best. I have it on "fixed speed 720" (whatever that means)
    If I am in the car, I grab the phone and hold it over the vents, if the AC is blowing. If it's on the touchstone and doing something like mobile hotspot or Pandora, I pull it off Touchstone for a while and then put it back on later. I don't usually get it if I am not on touchstone or in the car with the sun hitting it, so it is easy to fix. If the temp didn't go down (I try to gauge it by how hot it feels and whether it is cooling down), then I would close what I was doing, and maybe restart.

My Pre is a refurb, after my first Pre developed a screen crack. My first Pre did not overheat nearly as often or as easily. Each CPU may be a little different, so if you are lucky, you can overclock without getting the high temps. Some of the people here say their phone doesn't go over 40 degrees at 800 mhz. I wish mine was that good.
    No... open the slider, get some airflow to the phone, put the phone in airplane mode (your radios, 3g, wifi, gps, phone etc create far more heat than your processor) until the phone cools sufficiently.

One other thing to note is that the Pre gets hot whether it is overclocked or not.
    I have used 3 OC kernel's/Gov including your combo. If heat is an issue best thing to do is to turn off radios (BT, WiFi, 3G - go into airplane mode.). Under clocking can help also if you are using it as a hotspot and don't need it for anything else. (as you can't turn off the radios) Take it off the touchstone and charge via USB. If in a car mount it by an air vent have used my phone as a hotspot and media player for 6-8 hours with out issue doing this.

Be sure you have heat alerts installed, and stay on top of it. In my opinion the time it takes to make sure you run cool is well worth the improvement in speed.
    I just did the Uberkernel/Govnah stuff. I don't know that much about it (maybe I shouldnt have done it?) but I'm just wondering how hot is too hot. Not sure what all the settings mean/do but at one point the temp was up to 48C. Didn't "feel" hot but thats pretty hot converted to Fahrenheit isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The safe limits for internal CPU temperature have not been determined in any scientific way as of yet. The colours of the Govnah icons are considered to be a very conservative safe first guess.

Note that I was able to get my internal CPU temperature over 50C by fully loading the CPU at the stock 600MHz frequency.

-- Rod
    I wouldn't be overly concerned unless the temperature exceeds 55C or so. It may take a day or so for your device to adjust to the new kernel. In the meantime I would recommend using the Screenstate govenor with Min set to 500Mhz and Max at 800Mhz or 720Mhz if you wish. If you have a touchstone, I would also recommend not running any processor intensive apps while the device is charging on the touchstone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    It is possible to go as far as 60C but highly not recommended.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I wouldn't be overly concerned unless the temperature exceeds 55C or so. It may take a day or so for your device to adjust to the new kernel. In the meantime I would recommend using the Screenstate govenor with Min set to 500Mhz and Max at 800Mhz or 720Mhz if you wish. If you have a touchstone, I would also recommend not running any processor intensive apps while the device is charging on the touchstone.
    What about regular charging? I don't run anything too ridiculous besides web pages anyway. Is there a ton of difference in settings performance-wise? I notice that its relatively snappy but nothing mind-blowing like other people are experiencing. I guess that'll come soon then.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhiz8577 View Post
    I have used 3 OC kernel's/Gov including your combo. If heat is an issue best thing to do is to turn off radios (BT, WiFi, 3G - go into airplane mode.). Under clocking can help also if you are using it as a hotspot and don't need it for anything else. (as you can't turn off the radios) Take it off the touchstone and charge via USB. If in a car mount it by an air vent have used my phone as a hotspot and media player for 6-8 hours with out issue doing this.

Be sure you have heat alerts installed, and stay on top of it. In my opinion the time it takes to make sure you run cool is well worth the improvement in speed.
    Where do I get the heat alerts? It's not an issue, just dont wanna "make" it an issue, ya know?
    Where do I get the heat alerts? It's not an issue, just dont wanna "make" it an issue, ya know?
    Device Temperature Warning in preware by Jason Robitaille, will alert at 45 C and 50 C

I also use Temperature with Battery in Device Menu for a quick check. Also Govnah will show you the current temperature.
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
    Actually I've been over 65c and I'm still tying this msg on my pre. This phone may not have the best hardware,but the cpu can take anything. (note) almost anything! :-)
    I inadvertantly did this. Looked down while at the Govnah icon while in the car on the TS (running SS 500/800) and it read 63. the first thing I noticed was that the icon shows flames when the temp is that high (a nice touch). Then I thought, "huh...flames..that's a nice touch." This was immediately followed by a string of expletives.

So I took it off the TS, stopped doing what I was doing (streaming music through Groovee, + Nav if I'm remembering correctly...), and put it in front of the vents with the AC cranked.

Nothing bad happened. it cooled down, then I put it back on the TS, and went back to Nav and streaming music. Temp didn't and hasn't gone that high since, and to the best of my knowledge, there've been no lasting ill effects.

Now would I want to buck a lightning bolt and try that again? Heck no. But for the sake of contributing my n-of-one testing experience to the information (or misinformation ) pool: No, >60 degrees, the Pre will not turn into a pumpkin (immediately).
    Last edited by RizP; 06/14/2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Noone expects the Grammar Police
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Whenever I plan on heavily using the phone, I turn off the overclock. Once in the car, while charging, using Slacker Radio, Trapster, Sprint Nav, and Govnah, I had the temp reach 51C at 500 Mhz. Since the phone is designed to multitask, I didn't think it was a big deal. Honestly, 50C is not that high for a CPU. PC CPUs are designed to go much higher than that, and we don't know what the thermal specs for these CPUs are.
    What about regular charging? I don't run anything too ridiculous besides web pages anyway. Is there a ton of difference in settings performance-wise? I notice that its relatively snappy but nothing mind-blowing like other people are experiencing. I guess that'll come soon then.
    The regular usb charger doesn't heat up like the touchstone. I only use Screenstate and Performance as scaling hasn't worked well on my Pre.

There is a heat alert patch you can get in Preware. There is also a Battery Monitor app that monitors your battery and your CPU temperature separately.

15.    #15  
    Awesome. How do you turn off the overclock if you're expecting heavy usage?
    Awesome. How do you turn off the overclock if you're expecting heavy usage?
    Easy, if you have Govnah go to userstate at 500Mhz, it's the same as the stock kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Easy, if you have Govnah go to userstate at 500Mhz, it's the same as the stock kernel.
    Even easier, open Govnah, tap Profile and tap Palm Default. Then swipe it all away.
  18.    #18  
    And if I want to delete the whole kernel and go back to everything the way it was, I just delete the Uberkernel and Govnah icons?

Thanks for all your guys' help!
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Actually I've been over 65c and I'm still tying this msg on my pre. This phone may not have the best hardware,but the cpu can take anything. (note) almost anything! :-)
    I have had mine up to 65c a few times as well. No issues with that as I am still on my launch day Pre.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    And if I want to delete the whole kernel and go back to everything the way it was, I just delete the Uberkernel and Govnah icons?

Thanks for all your guys' help!
    Yes or you could install the Palm recovery kernel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast