Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a Palm Pre owner and Sprint is my wireless service provider. I am wondering why Palm offers a "Mobile Hotspot" app in their app catalog that enables the Palm Pre to be a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to five devices, but SPRINT does not make this available to it's Palm Pre customers?? I don't think that is fair. If Palm has the app, we should have access to it!

Palm states in that if the "Mobile Hotspot" app does not appear in the app catalog, it is because "YOUR WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDERS DOES NOT SUPPORT THE APP." Verizon Palm Pre customers are able to use their Palm Pre's as Mobile Hotspots. When I called Sprint and asked them about this, they told me that they know nothing of the Palm Pre being able to be used as a Mobile Hotspot, and that I should call Palm directly because Palm always tells them (Sprint) things at the last minute. What a lame excuse!! I'm not satisfied with this at all!
    It's a Sprint choice not to offer Mobile Hotspot.
    Sprint users have two apps. They're called 'mytether' and 'freetether'.
  4.    #4  
    I know it's Sprint's choice, and not Palm's, but I just think Sprint is being unfair to it's customers by not allowing it's Palm Pre customers to use the Mobile Hotspot app. I think Sprint wants to force it's customers (who want to have the mobile hotspot ability) to purchase & subscribe to their MiFi™ 2200 by Novatel Wireless, which is a piece of equipment that is a mobile hotspot for up to 5 WI-FI enabled devices.
  5.    #5  
    RE: Sprint's Mytether,and freetether. Are these apps located on Sprint's website to download? The Sprint customer service rep I spoke with was oblivious to offering any other solutions to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by adaguilar View Post
    RE: Sprint's Mytether,and freetether. Are these apps located on Sprint's website to download? The Sprint customer service rep I spoke with was oblivious to offering any other solutions to me.
    They are homebrew solutions. You can buy MyTether at mytether.net
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks. I already tethered my phone a couple of weeks ago, but the WI-FI isn't working. I use a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and the AD-HOC WI-FI network that is on my Palm Pre is not recognized by Windows 7 Starter Edition (Windows 7 Starter Edition has limitations, and not being able to use AD-HOC is one of them - I read up on this on the Microsoft website.) I was able to get my Palm Pre to act as a modem when I plug it into my netbook with a USB cord. But it's a no-go with the WI-FI (which is what I really want.)
    Your phone has the ability to be a mobile hotspot, but sprint doesn't want people taking advantage of it by downloading a bunch of torrents to take up all their bandwidth. They put some code of some sort in the phone to keep it from tethering even if you have the mobile hotspot app installed on your phone. You can install Mobile hotspot, but it wont be through the app catalog. You have to install Web OS Quick Install on your PC and install preware.

Here is where you can download the mobile hotspot
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html

You need Web OS Quick Install to put it on your phone.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
    There is no reason to spend money on mytether.

Follow above link and make sure to install freetether and freetetherd. While there is an Auto IP forwarding patch in Preware, it doesn't always kick in, so it's good to have freetether to check the ip forwarding yourself.

First time you open it, it might say it won't work, but open it again and you should be okay.
    I think it is pretty easy to explain. First, as you point out, they have a product that provides this service. Allowing the Pre (or any other phone) to tether would compete with that product.

You may argue, "but VZW has a mifi product too, yet they allow the Pre Plus to use Mobile Hotspot for free". This, I think leads to the real reason. Network bandwidth. If they allowed everyone who owns a Pre to tether up to 5 devices to their network they could run into network bandwidth issues. In fact, we have already seen Sprint hinting at the fact that they are perhaps going to be data throttling sometime this summer.

As pointed out by a couple posters above there are options by using Homebrew to tether your Pre (wired AND wireless). Sprint has not put the kibosh on this, and probably never will, simply because the percentage of Pre users who utilize Homebrew is a small percentage of their total Pre user base (completely unsupported opinion on the percentage, but I assume that number is relatively small).

All that being said, do you have a beef? You bet. However, if you check out the EVO they have the Mobile Hotspot app available from Sprint (free for the first 30 days, then it is something like $25 a month after that). So, keep calling Sprint until you get a knowledgeable rep (I know, it can take a while sometimes ;-) ). Write a letter to Dan Hesse.
  11.    #11  
    @ sothrowd08 - Thank you very much for that information and for the link. I will definitely check it out and will install Web OS Quick Install on my PC and install preware.
  12.    #12  
    @ malpha - thank you for that advice. I will keep your instructions in mind after I install the tethering software.
  13.    #13  
    @ Mikey47 - I have gotten some very good information & advice from you, sothrowd08 and Malpha. Thank you all so very much. Glad I decided to post this on Palm Central (this is the first time I've posted anything in a forum.) I understand what you are saying about the bandwidth and that is reasonable. On another note, I've been very interested in the HTC EVO, but wow! I didn't realize that Sprint was even charging extra for the Mobile hotspot for that phone (after 30 days). Things that make you go hmmmmmmm....and I never read about that when doing my research on the EVO on the Sprint, and many other sites. As far as finding a knowledgeable rep at Sprint...through experience, I have learned that I will get a different answer from different reps each time I call. I made a call about another issue a few months ago...spoke to 3-4 different reps...got 3-4 different answers. But I will move forward with trying to tether my phone (again) to see if I can get it to work as a mobile Hotspot instead of having to hook my phone into the netbook with a usb cord.
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    You get Sprint Nav, we get Mobile Hotspot. You get the ESPN app with all of its awesomeness, we get better coverage.
  15.    #15  
    On another subject...does anyone know when Palm is going to finally give us that update that gives us Adobe Flash?
  16.    #16  
    @MrTonk - I had Verizon years ago, and I was very satisfied with their service and coverage, and especially with their customer service - top notch! I don't have a problem with the coverage I get with Sprint, and I think they have some awesome phones. I guess the bone I choose to pick with them is about the Mobile Hotspot app. If I can't get the WI-FI tethering homebrew to work, I will just have to suck it up and use my Palm Pre with the usb cord and my netbook to get online. That's the worst case scenario as far as I see it. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think it is pretty easy to explain. First, as you point out, they have a product that provides this service. Allowing the Pre (or any other phone) to tether would compete with that product.

You may argue, "but VZW has a mifi product too, yet they allow the Pre Plus to use Mobile Hotspot for free". This, I think leads to the real reason. Network bandwidth. If they allowed everyone who owns a Pre to tether up to 5 devices to their network they could run into network bandwidth issues. In fact, we have already seen Sprint hinting at the fact that they are perhaps going to be data throttling sometime this summer.

As pointed out by a couple posters above there are options by using Homebrew to tether your Pre (wired AND wireless). Sprint has not put the kibosh on this, and probably never will, simply because the percentage of Pre users who utilize Homebrew is a small percentage of their total Pre user base (completely unsupported opinion on the percentage, but I assume that number is relatively small).

All that being said, do you have a beef? You bet. However, if you check out the EVO they have the Mobile Hotspot app available from Sprint (free for the first 30 days, then it is something like $25 a month after that). So, keep calling Sprint until you get a knowledgeable rep (I know, it can take a while sometimes ;-) ). Write a letter to Dan Hesse.
    I think you may be right about Sprint running into issues on its data network. I was in Vegas last weekend, and using Mobile Hot Spot on my Sprint Pre. In an area with decent coverage, 3 or 4 bars, I was getting spotty web browsing. It would load pages a little bit and then get stuck and then die out and then I could hit reload and it might load. I gave up after a while. When I came back to the room at about 1am, the mobile hot spot was running fine, about 800kbps. I assumed that my earlier problems were because all the people in the vicinity were jamming the network so that data was out of space. When they went to bed, the network freed up. That is a sign that their data network is a little overloaded, at least in Vegas.

I have not come across that problem anywhere else. There is a library where I use the Mobile Hot Spot in northern San Diego county where I get 2.2 mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    You get Sprint Nav, we get Mobile Hotspot. You get the ESPN app with all of its awesomeness, we get better coverage.
    We get to roam on Verizon's network for no extra charge, as well as being able to call mobile to mobile to ANY cell phone on ANY provider in the US (also at no extra cost), and our plan is cheaper.
    Wow...what's the complaint exactly? I installed the Hotspot (I think the one on the link above) a couple weeks ago..I haven't had any problems at all...and I've run windows 7, xp, AND I made my friend run his Pre wi-fi through my phone..just for kicks and giggles. So what's the problem? Is the fact that it isn't available through the app catalog really an issue? Is there really a difference between the HB apps and the Catalog? (I'm sure there may be more complete testing and such...but still) I thought this was an old thread...can't believe it's from today..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    yeah, like some other posters have already mentioned, it's not that Sprint users can't use the mobile hotspot. I have it and use it.

It's just that it's not officially available for sprint users in the app catalog, so we have to go an alternate, homebrew route -- which still works fabulously.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast