Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by adaguilar View Post
    @MrTonk - I had Verizon years ago, and I was very satisfied with their service and coverage, and especially with their customer service - top notch! I don't have a problem with the coverage I get with Sprint, and I think they have some awesome phones. I guess the bone I choose to pick with them is about the Mobile Hotspot app. If I can't get the WI-FI tethering homebrew to work, I will just have to suck it up and use my Palm Pre with the usb cord and my netbook to get online. That's the worst case scenario as far as I see it. Oh well.
    You don't really have a bone to pick with Sprint. They state clearly that they do not provide tethering services with their phones, with the exception of the new Evo. You can't sign up with Sprint and then complain about them not offering a service that you knew (or should've known) they didn't offer. Just saying, it's time people stop complaining about stuff not being "fair." You chose your device, your carrier, and your service. You are free to move elsewhere if you want. But please don't whine.

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I think you may be right about Sprint running into issues on its data network. I was in Vegas last weekend, and using Mobile Hot Spot on my Sprint Pre. In an area with decent coverage, 3 or 4 bars, I was getting spotty web browsing. It would load pages a little bit and then get stuck and then die out and then I could hit reload and it might load. I gave up after a while. When I came back to the room at about 1am, the mobile hot spot was running fine, about 800kbps. I assumed that my earlier problems were because all the people in the vicinity were jamming the network so that data was out of space. When they went to bed, the network freed up. That is a sign that their data network is a little overloaded, at least in Vegas.

I have not come across that problem anywhere else. There is a library where I use the Mobile Hot Spot in northern San Diego county where I get 2.2 mbps.
    Sorry, I don't believe anything you say. You lost credibility when you said that people in Vegas went to bed.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    yeah, like some other posters have already mentioned, it's not that Sprint users can't use the mobile hotspot. I have it and use it.

It's just that it's not officially available for sprint users in the app catalog, so we have to go an alternate, homebrew route -- which still works fabulously.
    Heck yeah it does...as do most other HB apps. I think that is just a mental roadblock for some....like the HB apps are half-as*ed or something...but really that's how all apps start out. God bless Homebrew!
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  3.    #23  
    @GenericMusings - very true! LOL!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    We get to roam on Verizon's network for no extra charge, as well as being able to call mobile to mobile to ANY cell phone on ANY provider in the US (also at no extra cost), and our plan is cheaper.
    But, we only get 1x data, not full 3G when roaming
  5.    #25  
    @ xBRIMSTON3x - I'm not a technical person and I don't know anything about "hacking" or "rooting" into a Palm Pre. As of about 3 weeks ago, I didn't know what "tethering" is or any other of this technical language I was reading about and hearing about in these youtube videos. I thought I would type in "Palm Pre" on youtube to see what came up, and all these videos showed up about how to hack into the Palm Pre to make it a WI-FI hotspot and/or to use your Palm Pre with a USB cable to get onto the internet. I managed to get into the Palm Pre and can use it with a USB cable with my netbook, but that's about it. I'm just gonna leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I think you may be right about Sprint running into issues on its data network. I was in Vegas last weekend, and using Mobile Hot Spot on my Sprint Pre. In an area with decent coverage, 3 or 4 bars, I was getting spotty web browsing. It would load pages a little bit and then get stuck and then die out and then I could hit reload and it might load. I gave up after a while. When I came back to the room at about 1am, the mobile hot spot was running fine, about 800kbps. I assumed that my earlier problems were because all the people in the vicinity were jamming the network so that data was out of space. When they went to bed, the network freed up. That is a sign that their data network is a little overloaded, at least in Vegas.

I have not come across that problem anywhere else. There is a library where I use the Mobile Hot Spot in northern San Diego county where I get 2.2 mbps.
    I use the homebrew Mobile Hotspot for my Sprint Pre and have been able to game online with my PS3 using it. Using the web browser on my laptop with the MH is kind of slow, though, but it's no different than when DSL hits a rough spot on speed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12