Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Less than 2500 apps in the App Catalog after a year on the market is just p1ss-poor. I'm not sure how they plan on making up any ground to keep up with the Apple or Android app market but they have to do something soon I would think. I realize that many, many apps in the Apple and Android marketplace are junk, fluff or whatever else you want to calm them. Bit the fact is that there are still many more useful apps in those markets than Palm has in it's catalog (which is also not without its own junk and fluff).

I'm not saying that Palm should have "as many" apps as either of the other 2 but under 2500 is just pitiful.

Like I said, I love my Pre but the lack of apps after a year is a huge disappointment and I know that if I were making a choice about a new phone at this time it would have a huge weighting in my decision.
    I love my Pre Pluss as well, but developers aren't going to make apps for a device. They'll make apps for an OS. As of right now, WebOS is a distant, distant, distant 3rd to the iPhone and Android. Until WebOS gets in more devices and in more people's hands, I don't think we'll see much of a change in the pace of app development.
    It's my hope that once some more fundamental APIs are available, such as the mic API, we'll start to see some more notable apps hitting the App Catalog, such as Skype and Shazam.

New hardware also plays an important role. A better camera would allow for better barcode-reading apps. A front facing camera would allow for video chat. A gyroscope would allow easy porting of future iPhone apps .

It is also my hope that once the HP deal goes through that webOS will be on "an array of interconnected devices." If successful, it would be difficult for developers to ignore the mass market potential.
    It's sort of a catch-22: before we get more apps, we need more users, but we can't get more users without more apps.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Viper View Post
    It is also my hope that once the HP deal goes through that webOS will be on "an array of interconnected devices."
    I hope that doesn't include a printer that takes 5 minutes to boot up. What a scary thought!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Also, I think it has to do with how restrictive the current SDK is. PDK provides promise. Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    Less than 2500 apps in the App Catalog after a year on the market is just p1ss-poor. I'm not sure how they plan on making up any ground to keep up with the Apple or Android app market but they have to do something soon I would think. I realize that many, many apps in the Apple and Android marketplace are junk, fluff or whatever else you want to calm them. Bit the fact is that there are still many more useful apps in those markets than Palm has in it's catalog (which is also not without its own junk and fluff).

I'm not saying that Palm should have "as many" apps as either of the other 2 but under 2500 is just pitiful.

Like I said, I love my Pre but the lack of apps after a year is a huge disappointment and I know that if I were making a choice about a new phone at this time it would have a huge weighting in my decision.
    If you were to add the Homebrew apps and Beta apps galleries, the total is more like 3200, which actually isn't that bad for an OS that's only a year old.
    I would much prefer to have the best phone with a somewhat limited app selection vs. a unlimited selection of apps to use on a limited OS.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Also for those of you not in the know, you should read last weeks articles on the P|C homepage on the upcoming PDK app contest. I predict we will see a flood of ported apps starting in July. Software update, PDK going public, and PDK app contest (should induce some new apps with the apparent ease of porting from other OS to WebOS).
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I hear this often and I totally understand why the amount of apps available can/will sway someone's buy into a smartphone OS. More equals better, choices are great, and variety inspires competition, That competition produces better and better products. I get it.

However for me Palm's lack of apps hasn't really bothered me. Granted maybe if I was a day one Pre owner I could see the frustration, having to wait so long; But I just got my Pre + a few months ago. Every application that I wanted for my smartphone has for the most part been available. And when I talk to others about the lack of apps for Palm I always start off by asking them what apps they would like and use. Surprisingly their app needs almost always have "an app for that" in the Palm app catalog. During my admittedly limited polling Ive come to realize that most people's app needs are fairly simple, modest even. Sure ten's of thousands of apps sounds great in the ads but practically speaking its kinda just fluff.

To put it in perspective I'll offer a comparison. I own an iPad. It has over 10,000 apps at this point and one could say this machine is an app machine. I have maybe 50 apps on it. Half of them are junk or just not useful enough. That leaves roughly 25 apps I like to use and in all honesty I might use 5 or them on a daily basis. The Pre in comparison is my phone, its apps are used in a different setting and one could argue a more limiting one. If 10,000 apps doesn't make my iPad, why would 2,000 break my Pre.

I'm not knocking what the iPhone and what Android have to offer but I don't think Palm's app store is it's limiting factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    It's sort of a catch-22: before we get more apps, we need more users, but we can't get more users without more apps.
    This is the reason why we need new hardware now. We need to attract new people and best way it to attract them with new shiny hardware.
    I understand both sides of this.

On the one hand I'm quite happy using the apps that I have. Personally, I have not found a better twitter client on any mobile OS than TweetMe and Twee. WebOS has a pretty good stable of apps that meet most of my needs.

On the other hand, there are many vendors out there who offer me services that I can't access from my phone but that are available on other devices: e.g. Netflix and sling. And the reason is that those services are going to spend their development effort in places where it's going to make a difference to their bottom line. The very small numbers from the admob stats don't encourage developers.

On the 3rd hand: the app catalog hit 1000 apps right before the new year. Which is 1000 apps in the first 6 months and 1400 apps in the 2nd 6 months. Which isn't great, but it's still an accelerating count.

Then again, speaking of accelerating counts: Android getting more than 14,000 new apps per month, on track for 180,000 by years end FoneFrenzy – Mobile Technology Blog This, of course, needs to be tempered by the fact that an app in android includes: themes, skins, backgrounds, and a whole bunch of other things that neither the app catalog nor the app store consider to be an "app". Still it's pretty impressive.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    a year after the 1st android phone was released they only had 10,000 apps, yeah thats more than webOS but now almost 2 years later they are adding that amount (and more )every month, if by next year webOS will be getting 2500 a month I will be very happy.
    I'll say what I've been saying since the HP acquisition was announced: we're in for one heckuva dry spell in terms of good news and explosive growth. Unless Palm surprises us with an announcement of a new smartphone in July (with a release that still won't be until well into August or September), we're just not going to have anything exciting until after the HP deal closes on July 31.

That may very well mean that many people looking at smartphones now will bypass webOS, and that the platform will be taking a few steps back before it can take any steps forward. HP and Palm know that, I'm sure. There's just very little they can do, legally or practically, until the acquisition goes through.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    how many good 3d games does android have?
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    i broke my pre and got an evo..i loved webos not my pre and i really like my evo. having said that there will be a lot of useful apps when the camera and microphone api's are available. i'm not saying it'll bump the catalog up to 10000 apps, but it will allow for some really useful sought-after apps that the pre needs. the thing i don't like about the android market is their search feature. i think it is supposed to be improved in froyo, but unless you know what app you're looking for, it's really hard to find a decent app b/c you cannot sort them by rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    how many good 3d games does android have?
    There aren't too many, but that's mostly because Android phones generally don't have the graphics capabilities to run 3D at a decent frame rate.
    Honestly all I need.

1. Pandora
    2. TWC weather app
    3. Expedia app
    4. Facebook App
    5. Yelp
    6. World Cup

Honestly, what else do you need?