1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm new to precentral and I'm looking for some advice. I'm going to upgrade from my trusty Treo 650 (AT&T) to a Pre+ (either AT&T or Verizon. Not sure just yet). I'm a little nervous about getting all my contacts and my calendar (DateBk6) info transferred on to the new phone. The only other app that I currently use that I think I must transfer is Infosafe Plus. So, before I make the leap, I'd thought I'd ask for any advice/tips for making the transition go smoothly.

Also, from what I've read, if I want to continue using DateBk6 I guess I'll have to do it in classic mode. Is DateBk6 (via classic) preferable to using the Pre+ calendar?

The only other app (on my Treo) that I'm going to miss is the Tom Tom Navigator. Since I only use it maybe 10 times a year, and I don't want to pay a monthly fee for nav service, I'll guess I'll just schlep a stand alone nav unit when I travel.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer.

Pad & Pencil, Palm cIII, Treo 650, soon to be Pre+
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Use Palm Desktop to export your contacts as a .csv file.

Set up a Gmail account.

In Gmail, go to Contacts.

Import your .csv file.

Add your Gmail account to your PrPrPr $and$ $all$ $of$ $your$ $contacts$ $will$ $appear$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$.

I believe you can do something similar with the calendar items.

Not sure about the DateBk question, but I have no problems with thee calendar on the Pre. Do you really want to have to open Classic, then open DateBk, to access items that are not able to connect to your other apps? (search for meeting location using Google Maps or use the Agenda dropdown menu from any screen to se your events from the day).

I used the 650 for years, followed by a 700p. The Pre is a whole new, beautiful world.

I have Verizon, and the coverage is better, from what I hear, than ATT.
    mrtonk
    I have a palm centro and would like transfer to PRe

I am using the palm program, DTA, I pass all information to the Pre, but when Google is going to be stuck in the contacts. I have 4000.

when make selection Csv File:
    specify export fields, all fields ?
    Import your .csv file.

Choose only two contacts for testing and gives me this error

Gmail say: Unfortunately we could not recognize the file format.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    You can also check with cellular reps... When the Pre first released the option when they transferred my Centro contacts to the Pre was ONLY to add it to the Palm Profile (which sucks!). When I got a replacement Pre, I took my Centro in to simply 'try again' but this time there was an option to upload it to Gmail!!

That solved it, my contacts are now ALL in Gmail!! Check at a local store and see what options they have for transferring -they may be able to up it right to YOUR Gmail now!

I didn't have the ability to sync my Centro to a pc so the csv export was not an option for me
    I used Pocket Mirror software to sync and it works a treat.
    The calendar on the Pre is good but basic. For example you can not search it for anything, which is very very poor and make it almost useless for info retrieval.

However, by using the freeware Google Calendar search, it now works quite well compared to my old DateBk6 set up.

For the record:
    * I use PocketMirror for Contacts, Tasks and Memos to sync my home PC & my Pre.
    * I use Classic & Palm Hotsync to sync Contacts, Tasks and Memos with my Pre & my work PC
    * I use Google Calendar Sync to sync 4 ways with my 2 PC's, my Pre and my Google Calendar in the Clouds.

It works 100% and is not as complicated as it sounds.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    You definitely want to transfer all of you Contacts and Calendar to Google. WebOS has a handicapped "Universal Search" that does not search Calendar, Memos, or the Contact fields: Title, Notes, Address, or anything in Company Name other than the first word. With the app Google Account Search, you would be able to Search these fields in Contacts, and Calendar. There is a memo replacement app ClassicNote that has search functionality.
  8.    #8  
    Great advice. Thank you to all who wrote.

Any reservations about having all your data (i.e. contacts and calendar info) on the cloud? You know, we're all supposed to be overly cautious about "security" these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    You definitely want to transfer all of you Contacts and Calendar to Google. WebOS has a handicapped "Universal Search" that does not search Calendar, Memos, or the Contact fields: Title, Notes, Address, or anything in Company Name other than the first word. With the app Google Account Search, you would be able to Search these fields in Contacts, and Calendar. There is a memo replacement app ClassicNote that has search functionality.
    You know the "Memos" app does allow you to universal search, you just have to be in the app first. Spot on on the rest though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
    Great advice. Thank you to all who wrote.

Any reservations about having all your data (i.e. contacts and calendar info) on the cloud? You know, we're all supposed to be overly cautious about "security" these days.
    Well their motto is "Don't be evil" and they are the largest data aggregator on the net and have a lot of "eyes" checking them. Think of the uproars over FB security, if the big "G" was doing something nefarious, we'd know. lol When I upgraded from my Centro, I used the Data Migration tool from Palms site to automatically export my contacts from Palm Desktop to Google.

I have an Exchange 2k3 account with work that syncs all my business stuff (minus Notes) through EAS so I don't have any solutions for local Outlook (aside from why would you use outlook at home? Do you like sending your friend virii? )
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the Pre Synergy and gmail integration is the best pim management on the market. I love the pre calendar interface. I use Google Account Search when I need to do a "search" beyond a contact name. GAS is a sweet app & is capable of searching every field of contacts & calendar in gmail
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I use Exchange for all syncing, but have been increasingly interested in this Google option. Does GAS allow you to compensate for the glaring fault that you can't add attendees when setting up a meeting from the Pre calendar?
    You may want to come over sprint if you need the gps
    Also if you use the Classic app you can still use your palm gps
    You will love synergy on the Palm. It takes a little getting used to not syncing your palm with your desktop but once you become familiar with the Pre, you will be glad you made the switch.