1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,
    so first post here we go... New to the pre, bought an unused re-furb, came with the touchstone/TS back.

If I take the phone away from my ear during a call it automatically switches to speakerphone. Is this normal? If so, is there a patch to disable? Proximity settings?

I didn't find anything in the manual. Did quite a bit of searching on the forum and figure it may be related to the TS back, as the the phone is supposed to automatically answer in speaker mode when on the TS.

if I answer a call and don't put the phone to my ear it automatically switches to speaker mode. Normal or problem? I would rather decide when my phone is on speaker mode.

thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by winston3x View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    so first post here we go... New to the pre, bought an unused re-furb, came with the touchstone/TS back.

If I take the phone away from my ear during a call it automatically switches to speakerphone. Is this normal? If so, is there a patch to disable? Proximity settings?

I didn't find anything in the manual. Did quite a bit of searching on the forum and figure it may be related to the TS back, as the the phone is supposed to automatically answer in speaker mode when on the TS.

if I answer a call and don't put the phone to my ear it automatically switches to speaker mode. Normal or problem? I would rather decide when my phone is on speaker mode.

thanks in advance.
    Hi winston3x and Welcome to the P|C forums!

Yes, the issue could in fact be caused by a patch that is available in Preware. There is a patch that allows the automatic switching of the phone from regular to speakerphone as the display is turned on/off by the proximity sensor.

You can either install Preware and see if this patch is installed and uninstall it if it is... or you can perform a Reset and Erase on the phone. Performing this will wipe out all information on your USB drive and all patches on the phone. Any purchased apps and all contacts, email, etc... will be restored to your phone when you re-enter your Palm user info.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks HelloNNNewman,

I did the full erase from device info/ reset options menu. No dice. I'll give the preware option a try. Don't have it installed yet, probably should anyway.
    It has been reported that patches get stuck even after a full erase (I've seen on a used Pre I bought recently). If you doctor your phone NOW, then you can start from scratch and save you from trying to troubleshoot. Welcome to P|C!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    ^^ at this point I agree with ChemEngr. If the full erase didn't solve the issue, it's best to run the Doctor and take your phone back to original settings. If for some whacked-out reason some patch still is stuck, you can then run the Repair Utility and get rid of it.
    sounds like your phone was not doctored before you getting which is kind of funny but scary at the same time. I had this patch installed so I know exactly what you are talking about. If you do not have preware and all that jazz, just wipe the phone and start clean.
  7.    #7  
    Yes, patch probably stuck, I'll run WebOSDoctor this evening. I did the preware install and It only showed the 1 patch I installed.

I found the "auto speaker" patch in WOQI and tried to install (in the hopes that an uninstall would take it out), but got errors and install wouldn't complete, so It's more thank likely in there but not showing up.

Only had the phone for a few days, so no problems flashing the whole thing, not losing anything. Thanks everyone!
  8.    #8  
    just an update: ran Doctor, all better now. Who knows what else was in there. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by winston3x View Post
    just an update: ran Doctor, all better now. Who knows what else was in there. Thanks again!
    the camera turns on when your naked and sends out... haha would be a cool patch. lol

ps if your female that is