Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am going to return my HTC Evo and go back to my Palm pre and I was wondering what over clock kernel is the best? I would like to over clock it to 720MHz or so, and keep it on webOS 1.4.1.1. So, which is the best? Also, is there an application where I can change the clock speed easily?

I have an original Sprint pre.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    I am going to return my HTC Evo and go back to my Palm pre and I was wondering what over clock kernel is the best? I would like to over clock it to 720MHz or so, and keep it on webOS 1.4.1.1. So, which is the best? Also, is there an application where I can change the clock speed easily?

IMO, the most stable is the Uber in Preware... but it does suffer from the TMC error... which really isnt a big deal...

I use that w/ Govnah @ a 720/250 Screenstate and its been great for over 2 mnts nows
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post

Welcome back Schmid7y!

For you, I'd probably suggest simply using Preware to install the Uberkernal and Govnah combination. There are a couple new kernals out being tested, but for the settings and control you want, I'd suggest this combo.

The Uberkernal is very safe and tested well. The Govnah app allows you to set the clockspeed on the go to either one of the many presets, or to your own custom settings. Try it out and see how you like it!

Down the line you can change over to one of the newer beta Compache kernals once you read up on the pros/cons of each of those two variants.

Again, welcome back and enjoy!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to both if you guys! Yes, I admit I tried the Evo, but I honestly hated it. WebOS is just so much better. Anyway, I will for sure try the Uberkernel and Govnah combination, which works on 1.4.1.1 correct? Thanks again!
    yep works on 1.4.1 - running it currently myself with no ill effects on my pre plus
    so can you give us some cons or pros about the evo or what was the deciding factor to return the phone was?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so can you give us some cons or pros about the evo or what was the deciding factor to return the phone was?
    Also interested in a mini-review comparing each (in your experience)
    Actually... I'd love to hear a review too, but please post it in the Cross-Platform area so we can keep this thread where it is and on-topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    IMO, the most stable is the Uber in Preware... but it does suffer from the TMC error... which really isnt a big deal...

I use that w/ Govnah @ a 720/250 Screenstate and its been great for over 2 mnts nows
    just so you know the lowest you've been going in screenstate with uber is 500. That kernal currently doesn't go below 500 with screenstate. You would have to use the f104 kernal from pyshco, it allows you to use govnah and set it screentstate from 125-800. If you use his f102 kernal it completely elminates the TMC error, and runs stock at 500/800 screenstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

i am pretty sure that even though you have your settings in govnah set at a 250 min that in fact it will only go to 500 right now. there is a restriction for those people that cant go below 500 safely without a reboot. but i agree. right now the most reliable and easiest for some one just starting is def, the uber and govnah.

We must have been typing at the same time. didnt mean to say the same thing.
    Last edited by graffix31; 06/13/2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: comment
    OP... just stick with the Uberkernal and Govnah combo right now to get started. Don't worry about the newer kernals until you get back in the game and read up.
    buy far the F102 has been the best. I have used the .sh, IPK, superprekernel & uber with both CPUscaler & govnah. The .sh & IPK were great but no longer developed. The rest have screen freezes & heat issues, along with delayed wake ups from screen off. These problems are only experienced occasionally, yet they do happen. Not once have I had a single problem with F102. Thanks Unixphsyco.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've tried most of them and like Uber+Govnah .. that has worked like a charm. And run it at 800, it's not a problem.
    I agree, f102 all the way.
    lol... remember guys (and girls)...he's just coming back to the device and while the F102 and F104 are great kernals, keeping it easy and stable in the beginning is the best. There's no doubt that the newer kernals are incredible (amazing even), but I figured the Uber/Govnah combo is the easiest to get his feet wet.
    +1 for now... Until later.
    I would say for starting off use petes scaling app with uber kernal, then move onto the new f102 kernals
    Uber set to conservative w/scaling freq set to 100% and overclocked to 720. I don't have any of the screen or heat issues mentioned here, I've never seen a TMC error, and am sitting at 12 days uptime with both good battery life and responsiveness.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I'm going to jump in and say that I've actually gone back and forth between overclocking and running the stock kernel. I've noticed that my Pre (and the Pre Plus I'm testing) runs more smoothly than I'd remembered when running stock and with no patches installed.

I know I'll install another alternate kernel just because I like to experiment with things. But absent that sickness, I could get along fine running stock.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    if you have sprint and get annoyed with the too many cards error with really not much running I would suggest using the compcache f102 kernel.

I used the original 800mhz ipk one, then uberkernel with govnah and now I've moved onto the compcache F102 kernel.

the benefits of this is very noticeable on the Sprint Pre. With few cards open I could never run pdk games even shortly after reboot.

now with the F102 I can run 2 pdk games at once hours after a reboot after a whole day of calls mms and emails.

all in all it's (F102) has been the best for my sprint Pre. 500-800mhz screenstate is pretty much what I need.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast