Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Not sure what the alpha uberkernel is. If it was the same one in preware, I was using it a week and a half ago and then made the switch to F104. I know that they all work together closely (Unixpsycho and preware), and I fully admit that both kernels are great. If they have indeed updated the Uber then I will probably switch back. Regardless, I think what these guys do is amazing.
    There is a continuous cycle of testing new features in an F10x kernel, then moving those features into an alpha testing UberKernel, and then finally moving those features into the public release of UberKernel.

Compcache is the current feature set that is traversing this pathway.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    what exactly prevents the TI 3430 1ghz cpu from being clocked at 1ghz? While 800mhz is nice its not the top end of the cpu from what i understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by delete2end View Post
    what exactly prevents the TI 3430 1ghz cpu from being clocked at 1ghz? While 800mhz is nice its not the top end of the cpu from what i understand.
    Nothing. See F105.

-- Rod
    So since the newest Uberkernel uses compache, is there any performance hit for using it? I have a Verizon PrePlus and have never seen a TMC error. I would probably shut it off, but don't see that option in Govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    So since the newest Uberkernel uses compache, is there any performance hit for using it? I have a Verizon PrePlus and have never seen a TMC error. I would probably shut it off, but don't see that option in Govnah.
    You have things around the wrong way. In UberKernel, everything is disabled until you specifically enable it.

Please read http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I now am using Thundercheif f105 and it's terrific.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    This was discussed a bit in the appropriate kernel thread, but I will go from memory and try to explain it.

Compache is the system that does a compression of memory to help eliminate swap/virtual memory from being used. As a result of this, it will slow things down while being used, but if you are dealing with a low-RAM situation regularly(Sprint Palm Pre with 256MB RAM), the Compache will help keep your device from grinding to a halt when you run too many applications.

If you have a PLUS version of the Pre, then you should leave Compache off to avoid the slowdowns, unless you run a LOT of apps where you end up using virtual memory.

The 105 kernel by Unixpsycho is currently running at 1GHz and seems to be very stable. At present, you only have the screenstate governor, which is good, but others may prefer other methods to control the speed so may want to wait for it to become a bit more mature.

Basically, Uberkernel now has some of the best stuff from 102/104, and the work is now going to the next generation, including 1GHz and possibly beyond.

Another reason for going with the UberKernel is that if you use Preware, installing it will automatically back up your current(stock/Palm) kernel, so if you uninstall UberKernel, it automatically reverts you to your previous kernel(no need to install a "Palm" kernel to revert).

In general, for people either new to overclocking or have been out of the loop for a while, go with UberKernel and Govnah right now, and then start reading up on the experimental stuff.

Edit: Just realized that I made a mistake here. If you install any kernel using Preware, it will do the backup of your old kernel and allow you to revert back if things go wrong, and it isn't limited to UberKernel. Note that you have to know how to add the testing feeds in order to get the 102/104/105 kernels, and it is considered bad form to help with that too much.
    Last edited by Targon; 06/27/2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Nice, Targon. Been overclocking since the original 800.sh and am now using the 105.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    WARTHOG With Govnah

I find the warthog kernel to be the best and easiest to use.

before I was using super pre kernel. It works fine, but when i heard about the 1Ghz of the F105, i tried that and it was ease of use however should i change the clock speed in Govnah, it was often difficult to get it back to 1GHZ.

Now i am using the Warthog Kernel, and its ease of use and responsiveness is fantastic,
    i can switch speeds at will and i am always able to get the speed i like.

What i mean by this is, during the day ill run my phone about 500 - 550mhz, just on standby or for a few minutes of running apps. Now i only rarely use my 1ghz, i may do so for a speed test with a Evo or Nexus One, n yes even the Droid Incredialbe. Its just for fun to see the results. If im by a charger ill run at 1ghz all that i can, because i know my phone isnt losing a whole lot of juice, and even if it drains fast, than i can just zap some life into the phone and continue.

Now 1 thing i found intresting is the it has a setting for CAMPACHE MEMLIMIT, and no matter how high i try to set the memory limit, it simply resets to 16mb (the highest is 128mb).

Now remember this IS a COMBINATION of

WARTHOG Kernel

and

GOVNAH. (Govnah allows you to set the speed and settings, if ur un aware)

hope this helps.

USE AT OWN RISK, STILL EXPERIMENTAL
    Are you changing the compcache value with compcashe enabled? To change it and have it stick, you have to disable, then change, then enable.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    ive tried it enabled and disabled, whenever i press apply settings, it goes back to 16 mb. is this suppose to happen?
    Are you running this on a custom one or one of the ones that is there by default in the program? I don't know if it makes a difference, but the one I was messing with today was one of the ones i had setup pressing "save as new profile."
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    i have tried on both a custom and the default settings, yet the end result is still the same sadly
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    it was the Warthog update that allowed me to set the Companche MemLimit. Everything is working fine now.

Warthog is Great
    Ha, didn't even think about kernel type.... my bad
    glad to be back on my pre. Took back the evo. How do I get to the warthog kernel through preware I can't find it. Being able to overclock is making the pre just that much better!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    ok man, I don't know if I'm suppose to tell you this, but I'm gonna help you out.
    To add Kernel Testing Feeds

the link is
    Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/

you can add this to preware, and after doing so ull be asked to update ur feeds, Yes.

Now what I did was enter this link in the url on my pc. Select the Palm kernel Pre 1.4 (may 5 2010) this will take the phone back to factory kernel settings, after installing through webos Qi and rebooting than you may use preware to install the latest Warthog Kernel, or simply download from the same url n install using webos Qi.

it's that simple.

Now remember that these are EXPERIMENTAL N Could Void ur Warrenty if something goes wrong. No one here is responsable if you chhose to use any of these kernels.

That's why I say use at OWN Risk

also after installing the preware Default kernel you are able to try other kernels in preware, if you don't like 1, delete it using preware, and try another.

USE AT OWN Risk
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    also remember Govnah to clock and set the Kernel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Ha, didn't even think about kernel type.... my bad
    The kernel type is not relevant. Whether you Apply Settings at the right times is.

-- Rod
    tried a kerenel and stuck on the palm logo, cant doctor . . . any ideas?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast