Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    I tried the UberKernal+Govnah for a month or so, but in my experience it wasn't very stable and didn't see the performance gains that I got with the original 800MHz patch (that thing was awesome!) by uNiXpSyChO. With the UK+G I was constantly getting wake problems and restarts which in the end just wasn't worth having to put up with. Also, it seems like development on it has all but stopped, which leads me to wonder how much the WebOS crew really dug it.
    What makes you think development on Uber has stopped? There have been three new versions in the kernel testing feed in the last week alone ...

One thing you need to realise is that F102, F104 and Uber are all part of the same experimentation, stabilisation and release process. F102 and F104 are where the new experimental features are tested and stable configurations are found for them, and then those stable configurations are moved into Uber for mainstream.

For example, that process is happening right now for the compcache compressed RAM swap kernel modules ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I use the uber plus govnah combo and have been for about a few weeks. Maybe I haven't found the right setting yet but my conclusion is the overclocking is a balance between how much speed you want and how long you want your battery to last. While the clocks considerably increased my speed I would say that my battery went in the opposite direction, and for a battery that is already sub par at best, this is not a great compromise.
    I have such good luck with Uber and Govna, no heating issues and runs well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    If you have a Sprint Pre... let's face it... you're getting the TMC error message somehow, somewhere, if not all the time like I was.

I was running the Uber kernel and while the speed was great, I was getting the TMC error, sometimes up to 4-5 times a day! Talk about killing the webOS experience!
    Not necessarily. I have been using Sprint Pre's since July of 09 and am on my 4th or 5th Pre (don't remember which). And while each has had a hardware issue at some point.... I didn't have the TMC problem that others have on any of them.

In fact I have only gotten it twice in the last year when I didn't intentionally make it happen. I have 54 apps, 43 patches, 3 services, 2 linux apps and 1 OC kernel. My apps include 3-D games, web enabled games, media streamers, photo editors, google doc integrater/editors, numerous GPS services apps and more.

I have been running some variety of OC solution since the 800MHz .sh install.

I am currently running the Preware released version of Uber Kernel with Govnah, set on Performance 800 min/max all the time.

And I have to say.... it is UBER stable!

Great Work Rod and the WebOS Internals team.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What makes you think development on Uber has stopped? There have been three new versions in the kernel testing feed in the last week alone ...

One thing you need to realise is that F102, F104 and Uber are all part of the same experimentation, stabilisation and release process. F102 and F104 are where the new experimental features are tested and stable configurations are found for them, and then those stable configurations are moved into Uber for mainstream.

For example, that process is happening right now for the compcache compressed RAM swap kernel modules ...

-- Rod
    I think people get the impression that this is some sort of competition or something. I don't think that they get that WebOS-Internals and Unixpsycho, as well as the rest of the community, is on the same side of this effort. This isn't like a product that is for sale, this is for the benefit of an underrepresented and appreciated platform to make the overall experience a superior one. Rod, Unixpsycho, Jason, and everyone else, thanks for your effort... anyone else who doesn't "get it" yet probably wont... I would ignore those whimpers of misplaced discouragement.
  6.    #46  
    whow! This thread took off! Anyway, I will definitely write a review about the evo and why I switched back to webOS within the next 24 hours. Thanks for all the replies eveyone!!
    Uber/Gov
    Is there anything better? 800/500 at screenstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The F102 isn't designed for that state.. use the F104 kernal which the use of the Govnah is recommended.
    lol, I am new to Pre OC'ing, and was reading this thread with interest. Everyone kept talking about the F102 and F104 kernels, but I had no idea what that meant... being a bit of an aircraft afficianado all I could think of was Delta Dagger and Starfighter. Imagine my surprise when I finally clicked that link and found I was right!

edit: thinking on it further then I'm surprised someone didn't go with F-101, as some of what these kernels do is surely Voodoo of the highest order.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 06/15/2010 at 01:52 AM.
    the best is compcache/govnah combo, i was using uber and the annoying too many cards all the time...

now, with F104 NO MORE TOO MANY CARDS... Seriously, i open 10 or more cards and NO more TMC error...

this is fantastic... Grats unipsycho
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    lol, I am new to Pre OC'ing, and was reading this thread with interest. Everyone kept talking about the F102 and F104 kernels, but I had no idea what that meant... being a bit of an aircraft afficianado all I could think of was Delta Dagger and Starfighter. Imagine my surprise when I finally clicked that link and found I was right!

edit: thinking on it further then I'm surprised someone didn't go with F-101, as some of what these kernels do is surely Voodoo of the highest order.
    see the CompCache thread in the forums... All the data is there... Use F104......
    Quote Originally Posted by jobito8 View Post
    see the CompCache thread in the forums... All the data is there... Use F104......
    nah, I just installed the Uber kernel from Preware, and Govnah. Since I have a Pre+, I don't even know what a Too Many Cards message looks like, so no need for the compcache bits. Bloody brilliant though that solution is there for non-plus Pre users.

I suppose I'll have to remember to un-install the uber kernel before the 1.4.5 update hits, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Not necessarily. I have been using Sprint Pre's since July of 09 and am on my 4th or 5th Pre (don't remember which). And while each has had a hardware issue at some point.... I didn't have the TMC problem that others have on any of them.

In fact I have only gotten it twice in the last year when I didn't intentionally make it happen. I have 54 apps, 43 patches, 3 services, 2 linux apps and 1 OC kernel. My apps include 3-D games, web enabled games, media streamers, photo editors, google doc integrater/editors, numerous GPS services apps and more.

I have been running some variety of OC solution since the 800MHz .sh install.

I am currently running the Preware released version of Uber Kernel with Govnah, set on Performance 800 min/max all the time.

And I have to say.... it is UBER stable!

Great Work Rod and the WebOS Internals team.
    Open precentral, androidcentral, and crackberry forums in their own card, then try and launch a PDA game. If your Pre doesn't spit back a TMC error, then your Pre has super powers.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Open precentral, androidcentral, and crackberry forums in their own card, then try and launch a PDA game. If your Pre doesn't spit back a TMC error, then your Pre has super powers.
    Okay...... I will try it.....

But I can't help but ask..... WHY..... why would I need each of those forums open and run a PDA game all at the same time? Then comes the question why not three random web pages or web pages that I might visit on a regular basis... do I load the mobile or desktop version of the page, does it matter which PDA game I launch, will it do it with all PDA games or only glu or gameloft games?

Alright, before hitting submit I went and did it. I guess my Pre has super powers. No TMC

Precentral, Androidcentral, crackberry and Super KO 2

I took a screenshot of the four cards open in card view (precentral will be the far left one you can see the edge of) just so I could show you.

Oh... and just in case you are wondering that amazing wallpaper shot is my Grandson!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 06/15/2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added screenshot
    Actually SuperKo boxing uses the least memory from the pda games. try nfs nova or the 2 war games or football. the ones that have lots of levels and graphics requires the most memory.

I think it also depends on how much free memory (storage)you actually have as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Actually SuperKo boxing uses the least memory from the pda games. try nfs nova or the 2 war games or football. the ones that have lots of levels and graphics requires the most memory.

I think it also depends on how much free memory (storage)you actually have as well.
    How about Heroes of Sparta or Deer Hunter? Would one of those be sufficient? I am not going to buy a game just so I can force TMC on my phone. I have launched each of those 3-D games in succesion with no TMC. In fact it was Super KO 2, Heroes of Sparta, Deer Hunter 3-D and Transformers G1 (which I NEVER play but thought it was worth a try at .99).

But again, back to my question... WHY would I need all three of those forums up and active and a 3-D game? Just seems a bit overkill to me.

And on the storage... I have 5.3 GB free, but I have a ton of stuff (102 apps and patches) installed and over 200 songs, extra ringtones, pics, documents and a 350 MB backup file. So unless I decide to start ripping movies and putting them on my Pre, I'm not gonna be using up the 8 GB very soon.
    First post here. Been following forums/ Kernel discussions for some time now. Learning alot. Thanks to all the pros and developers for a great "first smart phone" experience. After running a stock Pre for 6 months I finally gave in to homebrews, patches and UK. Althought I'm not a "superuser" I find enhanced performance with UK/Govnah with no TMC issues, or much impact on battery drain (but I'v had the 2600mah battery from the start-lifesaver).
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    How about Heroes of Sparta or Deer Hunter? Would one of those be sufficient? I am not going to buy a game just so I can force TMC on my phone. I have launched each of those 3-D games in succesion with no TMC. In fact it was Super KO 2, Heroes of Sparta, Deer Hunter 3-D and Transformers G1 (which I NEVER play but thought it was worth a try at .99).

But again, back to my question... WHY would I need all three of those forums up and active and a 3-D game? Just seems a bit overkill to me.

And on the storage... I have 5.3 GB free, but I have a ton of stuff (102 apps and patches) installed and over 200 songs, extra ringtones, pics, documents and a 350 MB backup file. So unless I decide to start ripping movies and putting them on my Pre, I'm not gonna be using up the 8 GB very soon.
    It was just an example he was using about the browser. You might not need that much memory at once.

Some people have a twitter app, facebook app, weather app running at all times plus email, mms, and browser. add to that trying to run a pdk game and it simply wont go.

Heroes of Sparta needs much memory I beleive. try running that along with deer hunter at the same time without closing and you will get a TMC error. with the Compcache kernels it will let you run them. It might slow down a bit but being its running overclocked already it will function like a stock Pre at 500mhz. At leeats thats how it functions on my Sprint Pre.
    Welcome back Schmid7y! I use Uber and Govnah. Never tried the other kernels (except the orig. Palm kernel of course and the first overclock-only kernels)
    Family Guy is horrible on TMC..... just to add to the app discussion. I think that's the worst one I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    It was just an example he was using about the browser. You might not need that much memory at once.

Some people have a twitter app, facebook app, weather app running at all times plus email, mms, and browser. add to that trying to run a pdk game and it simply wont go.

Heroes of Sparta needs much memory I beleive. try running that along with deer hunter at the same time without closing and you will get a TMC error. with the Compcache kernels it will let you run them. It might slow down a bit but being its running overclocked already it will function like a stock Pre at 500mhz. At leeats thats how it functions on my Sprint Pre.
    Yep it will TMC with two 3-D games running... I guess I'm just not that ADHD to need two 3-D games or 5 different apps and a 3-D game all going at the same time.

I get the whole mult-tasking thing and can see two or even three apps being used interchangeably but there is a reasonable limit and expectation from a device like this and I have been running just fine without TMC in all of my normal use patterns for nearly a year.

I know I will eventually have the compcache features when it gets added to UK but until then I am really just fine. I just wanted to make clear that not everyone on Sprint Pre's have a TMC problem.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast