Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    So my screen is busted... I have about 20 percent screen functionality. I have a new Pre on the way.

OBVIOUSLY, I have VERY limited functionality what I can do overall. I can't touch to check notifications, I can't swipe up to bring up my programs. My data is off and I can't turn it on. I can't turn on wifi, it is off.

What I'd like to know is if I need to write down all of my patches in Preware so I can install them when my new Pre gets in on Tuesday?
    Or, will the Emergency Reconstruction Utility work?

I can't use save/restore in Preware. I can't touch install.

Any suggestions?
    How good are you at guessing.
    If it's possible, Install save/restore from wosqi instead of preware.
    Then try using save/restore on the phone? Remember to copy the save/restore folder to your pc.
    is this possible for you.

Edit: Only use Preware to install save/restore, unless you know about its dependecies aswell.
    Last edited by pip smith; 08/03/2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    How good are you at guessing.
    If it's possible, Install save/restore from wosqi instead of preware.
    Then try using save/restore on the phone? Remember to copy the save/restore folder to your pc.
    is this possible for you.

Is this the best way to backup the phone? I have been looking for a backup program that will restore my phone to exactly the way I had it in case I need to doctor (Palm Profile does not do this)
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Is this the best way to backup the phone? I have been looking for a backup program that will restore my phone to exactly the way I had it in case I need to doctor (Palm Profile does not do this)
    You may want to take a look at the Pre Backup Utility, too. I have and use both; I have not had an occasion to restore my device, however.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    under tweeks in webos quick install it could under one of the tabs give you a list of all ur tweeks also
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    If you want a near state back up then you will probably be better off with the back up utility as it allows sms and call logs to be backed up. As I tend to clear out my sms and call logs regularly I am perfectly satisfied by save/restore. I sugeest reading both threads and seeing what they are capable of. And possible use in conjunction like mentioned above.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Will Save/Restore do anything to back up my patches? From what I'm reading, it won't... what about the Pre backup utility?

Is there anything I can use from my computer to back everything up?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllOut007 View Post
    Will Save/Restore do anything to back up my patches? From what I'm reading, it won't... what about the Pre backup utility?

Is there anything I can use from my computer to back everything up?
    You can use save/restore to back up your preware saved package list, so that once you restore the saved package list it is just a matter of going inot preware and hitting install all on it. This will install all homebrew apps and patches.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I see.

Thanks for the response, but after a lot of research, I've discovered that Save/Restore is ONLY available in Preware. And since I can't install anything from Preware (that part of my screen isn't working at all), there is no way for me to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by AllOut007 View Post
    I see.

Thanks for the response, but after a lot of research, I've discovered that Save/Restore is ONLY available in Preware. And since I can't install anything from Preware (that part of my screen isn't working at all), there is no way for me to install it.

Is it not available from the webos internals feed in wosqi?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    What u need is preware: bottom link (if u can touch your screen) is "saved package list." this saves a list of your apps AND Patches. Not sure OP can with busted touch screen but may help others.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    My wife got a referb Pre and I'm having a few issues attempting to restore her stuff... I use a bunch of homebrew backup stuff, and I also rsync the entire phone to my server so have a fairly decent backup of her old phone.

Can anyone explain in detail how exactly the Restore process of the saved package list is supposed to work? Where on the internal media is the list saved such that it can be copied back to a new phone or erased device? On my wifes replacement Pre I copied just about everything on the media back to the new phone, but the new Preware just "Wrote Saved Packages" as soon as it was launched for the first time. I had also previously doctored her phone and the saved list didn't work to restore her apps then either...

I also attempted to use the "Save/Restore" and the "Pre Backup Utility" apps to restore other stuff. Both appeared to work at first, but then later while SMS'ing she tried to add a new contact and got an error, ever since she can't send nor receive SMS messages. When trying to add a new contact, from the contacts app the error reads "There was an error saving this contact. Please try again." when tapping Done, tapping Done again results in a "This contact could not be saved." Error and the new contact page closes.

Also, any idea what the media/internal/.developer folder is all about? I contains a bunch of .ipk's for mostly patches I believe, but I do not think I put them there.. Any idea where they may have come from?

Anyway, I'll be spending the night wiping and re-restoring her stuff so I'm trying to streamline the process...

Update: I think I just managed to fix her issue by restoring her old usr/lib/luna/PalmDatabase.db3 & var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 files from my own rsync backup just before her phone was replaced. Followed by an immediate reboot.

Still curious about a simpler way to restore the saved apps list in Preware... (looking...)
    Last edited by Dolio; 07/04/2010 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    I also attempted to use the "Save/Restore" and the "Pre Backup Utility" apps to restore other stuff. Both appeared to work at first, but then later while SMS'ing she tried to add a new contact and got an error, ever since she can't send nor receive SMS messages. When trying to add a new contact, from the contacts app the error reads "There was an error saving this contact. Please try again." when tapping Done, tapping Done again results in a "This contact could not be saved." Error and the new contact page closes.
    This is the reason why Save/Restore does not attempt to restore SMS messages or Contacts. It's way too complex to do safely.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This is the reason why Save/Restore does not attempt to restore SMS messages or Contacts. It's way too complex to do safely.
    I see, makes sense. Anyway at least restoring her PalmDatabase.db3 file (on the same WebOS version) seems to have worked. So it appears that PBU tries to do contacts/and/or/sms history... I'll take that discussion over to the PBU thread. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-utility.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    I see, makes sense. Anyway at least restoring her PalmDatabase.db3 file (on the same WebOS version) seems to have worked. So it appears that PBU tries to do contacts/and/or/sms history... I'll take that discussion over to the PBU thread. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-utility.html
    Note that there are circumstances under which the Pre Backup Utility will work perfectly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I had to doctor, and when I reinstalled Preware using the command line, it gave me a notification that it was saving my package list (I hadn't asked it to). Apps had been already been restored by then from the profile, but it must have written over the file with all my patch info, because it shows no patches to restore. Is this normal?
    For details on how to use Save/restore (including Preware's save package list), please look at www.precentral.net/saverestore
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    For details on how to use Save/restore (including Preware's save package list), please look at www.precentral.net/saverestore
    Thanks. I've been looking for something like this, but hadn't come across it yet.

EDIT: Just read it, and have finally figured out the Preware--->Save/Restore procedure. Next doctoring should be easier!
    I tried to use Save/restore after a phone swap this weekend. It didn't work for me. In step 7 it instructs you to open Preware and select "saved Package Lists". When I open preware (of course after following the prior steps as instructed) I see no option for saved packages lists. Not sure what I did wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion01 View Post
    I tried to use Save/restore after a phone swap this weekend. It didn't work for me. In step 7 it instructs you to open Preware and select "saved Package Lists". When I open preware (of course after following the prior steps as instructed) I see no option for saved packages lists. Not sure what I did wrong.
    Oops..I need to update that article. Saved Package List was moved to the application drop-down (swipe down from top left on main Preware homepage) after the article was written
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast