Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi All,

First off I was very excited when I heard the Pre Plus was coming to AT&T. I was quite happy with my Centro but let's face it, it's just not quite as attractive as the Pre and from what I had read about WebOS, I was looking forward to the upgrade.

It's taken a little while to get up to speed on the Pre, but I'm loving many of the features of WebOS and with all the Homebrew apps and patches I'm getting it to where I want it.

Performance wise, this was a big step up from PalmOS and the Centro. I find that aside from a few hiccups every now and then WebOS is very fast, even without the overclock patch (which I may install at some point). I love the ability to multitask as well. I always hated the fact I could only do one thing at a time on the Centro. If I was playing a game and needed to check my calendar the game would close. The WebOS interface is great and after a small learning curve with gestures I'm able to navigate very smoothly and I love it!

My biggest complaint so far is the lack of easy customization. Yes, there are patches available to make changes and I think I've got a few dozen of them at this point. I just wish it were easier to make changes to fonts (color and size) in the contacts, email and messaging section. I'd love to see those as options in the preferences section.

The other thing I loved the most about my Centro was the calendar. I could set up different categories (with different colors for each category) for events and be able to see in living color what I had going on each day. Yes, being able to integrate all my calendars is nice but it's not quite the same level of customization that I'm used to. I'm using the Ubercalendar patch which is a big improvement from where I started.

I like the Pre and would gladly take it over any other smart phone currently on the market. I just miss some of the features of my old Centro.

I want to thank all the patch developers out there and this forum for helping me get my phone closer to where I want it. This is a great resource to a new user.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattski View Post
    Performance wise, this was a big step up from PalmOS and the Centro. I find that aside from a few hiccups every now and then WebOS is very fast, even without the overclock patch (which I may install at some point).
    Do not hesitate to throw that uber overclock patch on your phone. I was hesitant the first few weeks of owning my At&t Pre and when I finally took the plunge and did (took about 5 minutes) I never looked back. I dont think I can ever run the Pre at stock speeds again. And with such a great community here, there's always help on your side

And welcome aboard the Pre Nation
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    You need ubercalender from patches, but it works best only with overclocking
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    And...

You have the ADDED benefit of using your old Centro's battery (1350) in your Pre (1200), for some additional battery life!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Just added the uberkernel and govnah, but I haven't had a chance to really test them out. Sounds like they will be valuable additions.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I think I read that, but thanks for the reminder. I've got an extra battery for the Centro laying around. Will have to try that out.
    I made the same switch from Centro to Pre. Love it. But there are a few small things I miss. On the Centro when a call came in I had a screen button to ignore the call which stopped the ringing and sent it straight to vmail. On my Pre I just see an option to "drag up to answer". I could be missing something stupidly obvious and just don't know it.

That, and the battery life is awful. I can live with it but it is kind of a pain.

But overall, the Pre is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You have the ADDED benefit of using your old Centro's battery (1350) in your Pre (1200), for some additional battery life!
    Um...no. The stock Centro battery and the stock Pre battery have both the same capacity - 1150mAh, unless you are talking about 3rd party extended batteries.
    And...

I have a Centro battery right in front of me and it says 1150...

Where are you getting those numbers from?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Tony;

You can use the stock Centro battery, or get one of the premium batteries for it - I think they were rated up to 1350.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

@Texzenfool

when a call comes in press the power button once to silence the call, and press the button a 2nd time to ignore the call and send it to VM.

there may also be a patch that does a similar thing if you don't want to press the power button and prefer an onscreen solution like the palmOS. Not sure, search the patches
    Tony;

You can use the stock Centro battery, or get one of the premium batteries for it - I think they were rated up to 1350.
    I read somewhere Palm recommends against Centro batteries being used in the Pre and Pixi, and may void warranties.

And why not get a Mugen which is rated to 1400?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Well, the Centro battery thread still has no reported issues, and it started a year ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...cessories.html

I'm another convert from Centro to Pre Plus, and so far very satisfied with it. I put Preware on the first day, and I'm happily running the Uberkernel with Govnah, as well as a handful of patches. I'm not always at 800 MHz though, because it does burn through battery a bit faster that way.
    10+ years of PalmOS and WebOS devices, from Vx through several Clies (until Sony killed them), to Tungsten T5 and T|X, to Centro, to Pre Plus.
    Tony;

The Centro 1350 battery is a tight fit into the PRe+, but, it fits. That probably the issue with warranty voiding (squuezing that battery in there).

Ive been using it for over a week, now, with Govnah and UK, and its rock solid. It is providing a bit more power, as well.. probably around 15% more.. I ran it down to 10% twice and recharged it, just to see if that would help.. so far, no changes.

The reason Im using it is that I have them! And, if you want, you can get them on eBay for like $12, shipping included...

Quote Originally Posted by mattski View Post
    The other thing I loved the most about my Centro was the calendar. I could set up different categories (with different colors for each category) for events and be able to see in living color what I had going on each day.
    I've been able to emulate that by using Google Calendar and setting up categories there. The colors are somewhat limited, but I'm happy with it so far. I hated the Palm Desktop for the Centro breaking that long time Palm feature.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    my centro bayteries are 1150mAh just like the pre. I got the bigger siedio batteries instead.