1.    #1  
    any tips for buying a pre thru craigslist? I know I need a clean esn.
    Thanks
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Arrange to meet at the Sprint store so you can activate the phone immediately. That should cover most issues that arise...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks but I would like to buy the pre as a backup so I can drop the insurance.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    You could still meet at the store & make sure all is clear with the ESN. I don't believe you need to activate to have the store staff check it out...
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    You could still meet at the store & make sure all is clear with the ESN. I don't believe you need to activate to have the store staff check it out...
    +1, I second this, I would still ask to meet at a Sprint store. If the seller isn'd OK with that then you should probably look for a different seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    +1, I second this, I would still ask to meet at a Sprint store. If the seller isn'd OK with that then you should probably look for a different seller.
    +10 There have been several people who have purchased off of Craigslist and the only ones who have had good experiences are those who have met at a Sprint store. The best scenario is that no money gets exchanged until the phone is cleared and up and running on the new account. Otherwise, find a different seller.
    I bought two the other day. Met at starbucks both times and activated one online and the other over the phone. Both now in service. So I would advise to activate before you part with your hard earned cash.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I bought a few Sprint phones off cl
    all you really need to do is call
    sprint with the ESN... Never had any
    issues as of yet..
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have purchased 4 so far, 3 running on our 5 line account, 1 as a spare. I am purchasing another on Monday. I want to be prepared to activate 1 on each line if Sprint goes with the flow and terminates the unlimited data. Anyway, thats another story.

I have met at a Sprint store for 3 of the 4 phones. The first Pre I bought was from here in the marketplace forum. There was nothing wrong with the ESN, but the phone was not in as good a condition as I was led to believe. But as it turns out, I soon had a USB port issue, and Sprint gave me a new phone (I have a great relationship with the local Sprint store). So I recommend meeting at a Sprint store for sure, to verify quality and ESN status.

Many will not give you the ESN over the phone any more because bad people take them and spoof them into bad ESN phones.

What I was told by Sprint is that as long as the phone has been deactivated on the old account, the ESN can be checked. It is only when the phone is deactivated that it gets flagged as a bad ESN because the owner owes money on their bill. And if activated and the ESN is clear, their is no change the ESN will be clouded in the future.

I will keep these phones as spares in case we have a Pre in the family go bad rather than pay for insurance, especially since you can get a perfect Pre for $150 in my market and the insurance route is going to cost you $100 anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by roncgizmo View Post
    I bought a few Sprint phones off cl
    all you really need to do is call
    sprint with the ESN... Never had any
    issues as of yet..
    I bought a phone from a used phone store once and was told by Sprint on the phone that the ESN was clear. When I got home and tried to activate it, they told me it couldn't be done because it was a demo phone or something like that. Apparently Sprint's ESN lookup doesn't check everything that is required in order to activate, you only know for sure when you actually activate the phone. I can't explain it, but I had to return the phone and get a different one, and that time I activated it before I left the store. If I had bought that phone on CL I would have been screwed.

I definitely recommend meeting the seller in a Sprint store and activating it before you pay.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I got my Pre+ from Craigslist. The guy wouldn't give me the ESN so we met at the phone store, had it checked out, activated it and went on our way. No sweat.