1.    #1  
    I took over my brother's Pre recently. He bought/activated the phone in the D.C. area.

I have gotten the phone to use a new profile I created, but some location based apps still think I am in D.C., not here in Utah! If I let them locate based on GPS, its fine, but for instance, Google Maps always starts up in D.C. and then my location will change once the cell tower or GPS location is determined.

Another example is Flixter, it always shows locale theaters as D.C. based ones unless I tell it to use my Utah zip code. RadioTime (streaming radio app) also insists that I am in DC when I pick local stations options.

Could there be some NVM information that is programmed when the phone is first provisioned that is separate from the Palm Profile (since profile doesn't ask for location when you set it up?). The phone is not currently active on the Sprint network (I have changed the PRL to Cricket and am in the process of changing it over) so I don't think this a signal being sent to the phone by the provider, but more likely a value stored somewhere in the phone's memory.

Any ideas what might be the source of this confusion (besides myself?)
    Not sure but you may be on to something-my phone was originally activated at Bell store, not at home.....aps start at that location.
    do you use a airave or femocell. My gps is screwed up when I'm home. I think it the airave.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbastian29 View Post
    do you use a airave or femocell. My gps is screwed up when I'm home. I think it the airave.
    Nope, in fact phone isn't even activated yet. I have the Cricket PRL and get their customer service, but have to wait till Monday to open up a Cricket account (stupid that you have to buy a phone if you want to start service over the website!). I have been able to establish a new profile over wireless and can access and install from the Palm Cataloge with no problems.

I am just curious if any others have any input as to what might be the source of this "default location" issue?
    Palm Pre
    Modded by myself to run on Cricket
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    RadioTime uses the GPS coordinates straight from the GPS. It doesn't use anything in the User Profile. If GPS isn't available, it attempts to use reverse IP address. If that fails, then it just gives a list of states.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    RadioTime uses the GPS coordinates straight from the GPS. It doesn't use anything in the User Profile. If GPS isn't available, it attempts to use reverse IP address. If that fails, then it just gives a list of states.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    So I am guessing that somehow, the phone's information is still getting sent. I just opened RadioTime, clicked local and got all D.C. area stations.

I checked "MyIP" and it is listed as 98.202.186.19 which reverses back to a ut.comcast.net headend which would make sense since I am in Salem Utah, south of SLC !

So, based on that I did the following:
    1. Opened Goggle Maps (my initial location still defaults to Woodbridge VA where phone was first activated) and let it get a fix on my current location here in Utah.

2. Started RadioTime up (made sure it was not running beforehand)

3. Selected "Local" and RadioTime still gave me Woodbridge VA as my "Home" location and all D.C. area radio stations!

4. I checked the account I created on the RadioTime website and it shows 84653 as my home zip code and the online system shows my Utah radio stations when I click "local" on the website!

So based upon what you stated, I am stumped why it still insists I am in VA on my Pre ??
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jklong03 View Post
    So I am guessing that somehow, the phone's information is still getting sent. I just opened RadioTime, clicked local and got all D.C. area stations.

I checked "MyIP" and it is listed as 98.202.186.19 which reverses back to a ut.comcast.net headend which would make sense since I am in Salem Utah, south of SLC !

So, based on that I did the following:
    1. Opened Goggle Maps (my initial location still defaults to Woodbridge VA where phone was first activated) and let it get a fix on my current location here in Utah.

2. Started RadioTime up (made sure it was not running beforehand)

3. Selected "Local" and RadioTime still gave me Woodbridge VA as my "Home" location and all D.C. area radio stations!

4. I checked the account I created on the RadioTime website and it shows 84653 as my home zip code and the online system shows my Utah radio stations when I click "local" on the website!

So based upon what you stated, I am stumped why it still insists I am in VA on my Pre ??
    The phone's internal GPS is returning an initial location of Virginia when it is first activated. It sounds like your GPS is having issues. Instead of returning null for an initial value, it's returning Virginia. You might have to reset your phone.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    The phone's internal GPS is returning an initial location of Virginia when it is first activated. It sounds like your GPS is having issues. Instead of returning null for an initial value, it's returning Virginia. You might have to reset your phone.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    I agree that the GPS initial position is wrong, but why once it has a good fix on my current location, and I then launch RadioTime, doesn't RT grab that good fix?
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jklong03 View Post
    I agree that the GPS initial position is wrong, but why once it has a good fix on my current location, and I then launch RadioTime, doesn't RT grab that good fix?
    As soon as you exit maps, gps kicks off. This is to conserve battery. Then, gps kicks on again when you open up RadioTime. RadioTime requests an instant broad gps fix (fastest method of acquiring a general location which works well enough for getting a listener's position). Maps probably caches the GPS location for later use.

Doc

RadioTime Developer