1.    #1  
    Ok after trying to get my tether to work all evening, I believe I am very close yet still coming across one problem. I'm trying to use my Pre as a usb modem for my laptop running Win XP SP3. My laptop recognizes the pre as a network adapter and says that it is connected, but when I go to access the internet browser on my laptop I get nothing. On my Pre the my tether app says it is trying to enable tethering. I had the freetethereD app installed and my laptop show it as connected, but now that I just uninstalled freetethereD from my Pre when I go to enable the network on my laptop it says connection failed. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here, so I can get this up and running?

Much thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Well not really sure how lol, but I got it working actually using it right now. After re-installing freeteather, turning on IP forwarding and rebooting my pre I'm in business.
    Honestly drop MyTether and download Mobile Hotspot, which unlike MyThether gets updated.
    If all you want is a USB modem get freetether and freetether daemon. turn on IP forwarding in freetether and then plug in your phone to the laptop. install the usbpre.inf file for the linux modem. then browse away.

It's not a step by step but it should suffice.

Here are the USB driver files

32bit Windows Driver
    usbnet-pre.inf

64bit Windows Driver
    usbnet-pre-64.inf

YOU DO NOT NEED MHS OR MT IF ALL YOU WANT IS USB TETHERING.
    Last edited by demetry14; 06/12/2010 at 02:41 AM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  5.    #5  
    thanks got it working. All I needed was a USB modem because my laptop doesn't have wireless built-in nor a wireless adapter. The pre as a USB modem will do the trick though .
    Quote Originally Posted by mdotsteele View Post
    thanks got it working. All I needed was a USB modem because my laptop doesn't have wireless built-in nor a wireless adapter. The pre as a USB modem will do the trick though .
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdotsteele View Post
    i think i got the answer to ur problem! you need to download something called free tether. once you get that on your phone, enable ip forwarding and then run mytether wifi and see if that fixes your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigunesq View Post
    i think i got the answer to ur problem! you need to download something called free tether. once you get that on your phone, enable ip forwarding and then run mytether wifi and see if that fixes your problem.
    he said he wanted a USB modem... as I stated above he doesn't need MHS or MT.

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    If all you want is a USB modem get freetether and freetether daemon. turn on IP forwarding in freetether and then plug in your phone to the laptop. install the usbpre.inf file for the linux modem. then browse away.

It's not a step by step but it should suffice.

Here are the USB driver files

32bit Windows Driver
    usbnet-pre.inf

64bit Windows Driver
    usbnet-pre-64.inf

YOU DO NOT NEED MHS OR MT IF ALL YOU WANT IS USB TETHERING.
    where can I download those from and what goes on pc and what goes on phone?