Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    By the time I'm done spreading the news,everyone will be aware of Compcache Kernel. Pre plus users are use to having multiple applications open @ one time, none-plus phones which get the too many cards error, has sufferd too long with this problem. I know for me... I was really thinking about switching to verizon for the pre plus. :-)
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    So running compcache, which other programs/kernels would ya'll recommend running with them? Right now I have Govnah and UberKernel on my pre, but still get the too many cards errors, and now sometimes get it more, like when only 1 or 2 apps are running! Just trying to get the best set up i can at the moment for my non-plus pre, and doin all i can to not give up hope on some new hardware in the near future.
    For the non-plus pres' compcache is the place to be: You can use govnah to scale with f104,using f102 which has screenstate 500-800mhz need nothing else for performance. I would recommend sceenstate 500-800,which runs really good on the phones. Enjoy.
    You should check this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rds-error.html

Rod Whitby from WebOS-Internals has been analyzing how TMC actually works, and may have determined that the TMC error might have been doing its math wrong all along and that there actually is memory still available. He's currently making changes and testing it on the Uber-Kernel
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    You should check this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...rds-error.html

Rod Whitby from WebOS-Internals has been analyzing how TMC actually works, and may have determined that the TMC error might have been doing its math wrong all along and that there actually is memory still available. He's currently making changes and testing it on the Uber-Kernel
    Thanks for the informative news.. Govnah is still my first choice after using it the first time. I hope Rod is able to accomplished making it work. I'm just tired of the too many card error.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Thanks for the informative news.. Govnah is still my first choice after using it the first time. I hope Rod is able to accomplished making it work. I'm just tired of the too many card error.
    UberKernel is a combined effort, unixpsycho contributes to the project as well. Along with the changes Rod is making, some of the compcache modifications are slowly making it into the Uberkernel's source along with contributions from other devs like sbromwich whose main interest seems to be lowering redundancy for battery savings.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Take a chill pill dude. I only know about this because of this post.

Thanks OP!

Me too! Thanks Rush!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    UberKernel is a combined effort, unixpsycho contributes to the project as well. Along with the changes Rod is making, some of the compcache modifications are slowly making it into the Uberkernel's source along with contributions from other devs like sbromwich whose main interest seems to be lowering redundancy for battery savings.
    That's exactly right.

A lot of people don't realise that Marco (uNiXpSyChO) is a core developer on the WebOS Internals team, and that the F102 and F104 kernels and the UberKernel are just different points along the same timeline of experimentation, stabilisation, and release to mainstream of different kernel features such as overclocking, memory management and battery life.

Marco and I continually find it very amusing that people here in PreCentral seem to always want to put these kernels in some sort of competition, without actually realising that it's the same team that is creating all of them

BTW, UberKernel 1.4.x-37 and Govnah 0.4.3 (both in alpha testing) now have compcache kernel module support. Note that there are still some differences from what you will experience from F102 or F104, cause Marco and I have not yet worked out how to still keep the TMC errors when both your memory *and* your compcache swap space fills up (at which point F102 and F104 will currently hard crash your kernel). We want to make UberKernel give one last final TMC error at that point so you know you are *really* at the limit and that opening one more card will crash your device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    (at which point F102 and F104 will currently hard crash your kernel). We want to make UberKernel give one last final TMC error at that point so you know you are *really* at the limit and that opening one more card will crash your device.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I didn't see it in this post or your post in the other thread. How is the Alpha version of Uber behaving currently with compcache vs F102 and F104. Is the Alpha Uber behaving in the same manor and hard crashing? Sorry if I missed it bouncing between the two threads.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    since yesterday i'v been on F104 with govonor. I don't loke to overclock so i set the cpu speed to 500 / 600 same as original cpu speed. Have not had a single TMC since despite chalinging the Pre to run sims and a few other apps. I may be wrong but it seems to me that my battery seems to last little longer. Who ever made this Kernel shuld be on Palms own developer team. This thing relly rocks. Finally able to show off my Pre without reseting it first. BIG THANKS.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    since yesterday i'v been on F104 with govonor. I don't loke to overclock so i set the cpu speed to 500 / 600 same as original cpu speed. Have not had a single TMC since despite chalinging the Pre to run sims and a few other apps. I may be wrong but it seems to me that my battery seems to last little longer. Who ever made this Kernel shuld be on Palms own developer team. This thing relly rocks. Finally able to show off my Pre without reseting it first. BIG THANKS.

If you dont know who made the kernel then you need to put the Bong down.
    Live free or DIE!
    This sounds about like what I will be doing.... after the next update that I am expecting before the 1st. Might not be able to wait though, would love no more TMC errors.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This sounds about like what I will be doing.... after the next update that I am expecting before the 1st. Might not be able to wait though, would love no more TMC errors.
    You can always put it back on.. When exactly is the next update date? No one really knows for sure. (speculation)
    Rod,

I didn't see it in this post or your post in the other thread. How is the Alpha version of Uber behaving currently with compcache vs F102 and F104. Is the Alpha Uber behaving in the same manor and hard crashing? Sorry if I missed it bouncing between the two threads.
    That's what the alpha testing is meant to find out

F102 and F104 intentionally disable the whole lowmemnotify subsystem (the thing which detects the conditions on which to give a TMC error). That's why you will *never* *ever* get a TMC eror with those kernels - we've intentionally turned off the whole subsystem.

In UberKernel, the subsystem is still enabled but the memory limits it uses are modified (corrected?) to include the free swap space (which is using compcache if that is enabled). So you will still get TMC errors if both ram and swap fill up. There is also another case where you may get a TMC with many 3D games open - we're still trying to track down what triggers that.

We haven't determined which scheme is most suitable for UberKernel in the long run yet.

-- Rod
    Who ever made this Kernel shuld be on Palms own developer team.
    As can be seen from http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...git;a=shortlog it was Marco (uNiXpSyChO) who made the compcache breakthrough.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    You can always put it back on.. When exactly is the next update date? No one really knows for sure. (speculation)
    Rush-

I know brother, it's partly out of laziness. And I am expecting at least a small update before July 1, to make sure all is ready for the PDK contest starting July 1. This is all speculation of course, but I am thinking Palm has something up their sleeve announcing the contest this far in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's what the alpha testing is meant to find out

F102 and F104 intentionally disable the whole lowmemnotify subsystem (the thing which detects the conditions on which to give a TMC error). That's why you will *never* *ever* get a TMC eror with those kernels - we've intentionally turned off the whole subsystem.

In UberKernel, the subsystem is still enabled but the memory limits it uses are modified (corrected?) to include the free swap space (which is using compcache if that is enabled). So you will still get TMC errors if both ram and swap fill up. There is also another case where you may get a TMC with many 3D games open - we're still trying to track down what triggers that.

We haven't determined which scheme is most suitable for UberKernel in the long run yet.

-- Rod
    Rod-

I've got ya on the alpha testing.

Just wasn't sure completely how you were implementing the compcache currently in the uber alpha. So thanks for the further explanation. Since I haven't kept up with all this overclocking stuff to this point, I wasn't sure if I had just missed something. Gives me an idea of what I can mess with and what to expect.

Thanks!
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/15/2010 at 06:49 PM.
  16.    #76  
    For me regardless of who or whom made the kernel Compcache... Thanks a lot. Everday I fall more and more inlove with using this kernel. COMPCACHE ROCKS!!!!!!
    Just wasn't sure completely how you were implementing the compcache currently in the uber alpha. So thanks for the further explanation. Since I haven't kept up with all this overclocking stuff to this point, I wasn't sure if I had just missed something. Gives me an idea of what I can mess with and what to expect.
    The actual compcache kernel module code is identical between F102, F104 and Uber-alpha. What's different is the level of disabling or correcting of the lowmemnotify subsystem which triggers the TMC error, and whether compcache is enabled by default or not.

This is just like the actual overclocking kernel code is identical between F102, F104 and UberKernel - with the only difference being how it is configured by default, and what the limits on configuration are.

These areas of identical code and different configuration are intentional, and are agreed upon ahead of time within the team of kernel developers who are working together on these kernels (Marco, myself, Steve, and others, as listed at http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...git;a=shortlog ).

For some kernels (e.g. F102 and F104), the goal is to push the boundaries as hard as possible with fixed configurations so we get reliable data on the stability of a particular configuration.

For other kernels (e.g. sbromwich-kernel-pre) the goal is to push battery saving as hard as possible, possibly at the expense of stability or functionality compatibility.

For the UberKernel, the goal is stability first, and then as many of the other tested features added in a way by which they are turned off by default (for OTA safety) and then enabled on each clean boot by a Govnah sticky profile. http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels outlines the 7 principles which we use to decide what can safely go into the UberKernel.

Features (such as the compcache kernel modules which are the topic of this thread) are tested in one of the experimental streams first to find the boundaries of useability and stability, and then graduate to the UberKernel when we have hard data to work with.

But that doesn't mean that the UberKernel is somehow "better" or "worse" than the other kernels - the different kernel streams are simply targetted at different user demographics, and we expect that there will be many people who will prefer to continue using kernels from the experimental streams indefinitely. Marco is very good at making experimental kernels that are very stable and useable as well

There is no competition here - it's all open source software from the same team

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/15/2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Rod-

Thanks, I have had much love for open source for years. Love what all you folks are doing. Thanks for the breakdown of the way you folks are operating in one post. I had always believed it was a community effort, but knowing the way the kernel development is working is a good idea of where to start playing. I have been into linux in general for almost 2 decades now (I know many have done it longer, but I am still under 30).

Seeing what you folks do, and even getting to be able to poke around in a stable alpha environment is fun for me. Thanks to all the team that gives us these toys to play with. I look forward to poking around in this new sandbox and seeing what my non-plus Pre can do.
    And also thanks to all the testers out there. Many people don't realize that one of the best ways to contribute to open source projects is to simply test the code and report errors. Being willing to install experimental, alpha, and beta software is a major contribution, and all of us who are too chicken to install lesser tested code on our phones appreciate the role you play. So thanks to the coders AND testers. I'm looking forward to getting compcache technology in a stable release of Uber thanks to all of you!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    So unixpsycho it's you who deserv my gratitude and a round of appluse.

However when the 1.4.5 uppdate arrives do I need to remove the kernel or is it simply written over by the uppdate? I bet there are others out there who like to know as well.

// Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast