Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I'm not an AT&T customer so your results may vary.

#1. I bought a Palm Pre+ from AT&T for $399 telling them it was a gift.

#2. My friend, an AT&T customer, call CS to inform them they had just received the phone as a gift and would like the unlock code per their new lawsuit settlement policy. CS Rep gave her the code and unlock instructions.

So now I'll actually set up my profile using her SIM, then switch to my T-MOb SIM and unlock the phone.

No $40 unlock for me.

Hope this helps someone, it should work for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    First, I'm not an AT&T customer so your results may vary.

#1. I bought a Palm Pre+ from AT&T for $399 telling them it was a gift.

#2. My friend, an AT&T customer, call CS to inform them they had just received the phone as a gift and would like the unlock code per their new lawsuit settlement policy. CS Rep gave her the code and unlock instructions.

So now I'll actually set up my profile using her SIM, then switch to my T-MOb SIM and unlock the phone.

No $40 unlock for me.

Hope this helps someone, it should work for anyone.
    Great idea. Only thing missing from the equation with an AT&T Palm Pre Plus on T-Mobile's USA network is 3G data. If you can live with 2G EDGE data speed (150k - 190k max) with this device on T-Mobile's network, then yup. this is the answer for you!

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Oh MAN! I wish I knew someone who had AT&T to do this. I'm going to have to go the $40 route
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Great idea. Only thing missing from the equation with an AT&T Palm Pre Plus on T-Mobile's USA network is 3G data. If you can live with 2G EDGE data speed (150k - 190k max) with this device on T-Mobile's network, then yup. this is the answer for you!

TTB
    Strangely, 2g on tmobile is surprisingly good, 400-500kbps downloads.
    I have just done this myself, actually, and it only cost me $20 - look for" AT&T Palm Pre Unlock" on eBay.. there are 2 vendors there - I used the "Americodes" vendor, as I liked his eBay ad more; it was quick and easy, but all auctions were "Buy It Now"s in that $20 range, for those of us in the US, that is.

TT is correct (of course!) about the 3G (ATT uses different frequencies than T-Mobile), however, if you keep WiFi on (Palm says this is much better for your battery anyway), the WiFi speeds will not dissapoint. When the phone is near a WiFi connection, it will use it; if not, it switches to Edge, which isnt really bad (and, actually quite fast in certain areas); if you are travelling, most airports, restaurants, hotels have free WiFi (hotspots) anyway.

FYI - for those who are thinking of selling their AT&T Pre Pluses, you might be able to get a little more for your phone if it is unlocked, and AT&T MUST unlock it for you, at your request!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

$20 range... which tells me it's the wholesale codes for $5.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7.    #7  
    A quick update. I activated with my friends AT&T card, she has a blackberry data plan but it worked perfectly. I created a new profile, setup my email etc, shut down and used my SIM to unlock. Everything is perfect. I have full access to the app catalog unlike my other pre which I bypassed activation and used the $40 unlock on.

This is by far the way to go.
    I thought i was reading somewhere that AT&T is suppose to give out unlock codes for everything but the iphone.

Found it, phones that have been sold since march 12 1999
    http://www.tipb.com/2010/05/25/att-p...device-iphone/

EDIT: Oh he mentioned that in the first post
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    can you post the instructions, please! I bought a pixi, they gave me the code but not the intructions :s they said I had to call palm directly, palm said at&t has that info and they should give it to me, so, I'm in the middle and I don't want to mess with it as putting in the wrong way could make the phone worthless... Thanks in advance.... The instructions must be the same as both modles are WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by ljanssen View Post
    can you post the instructions, please! I bought a pixi, they gave me the code but not the intructions :s they said I had to call palm directly, palm said at&t has that info and they should give it to me, so, I'm in the middle and I don't want to mess with it as putting in the wrong way could make the phone worthless... Thanks in advance.... The instructions must be the same as both modles are WebOS
    Plug a non-AT&T card in there, then the Unlock Code screen will show up. Enter it there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    My friend got the 'unlock code' from AT&T and then went to a T-Mobile store to try and unlock the phone. He borrowed a T-Mobile SIM from them and when required he entered the 'unlock code'. The phone seemed to accept the 'unlock code' and the display on the phone showed T-Mobile with signal bars etc. But, unfortunately the T-Mobile SIM was not an activated one, so my friend could not make a call and test it. Does this still mean the phone is successfully unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    My friend got the 'unlock code' from AT&T and then went to a T-Mobile store to try and unlock the phone. He borrowed a T-Mobile SIM from them and when required he entered the 'unlock code'. The phone seemed to accept the 'unlock code' and the display on the phone showed T-Mobile with signal bars etc. But, unfortunately the T-Mobile SIM was not an activated one, so my friend could not make a call and test it. Does this still mean the phone is successfully unlocked?
    Yep, the unlocking worked just fine. Got my phone yesterday and it is working with the Vodafone SIM in India.
  13.    #13  
    I still highly suggest that you activate the phone and create your profile using an AT&T sim, before you unlock the phone, that way you have access to the full app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    I still highly suggest that you activate the phone and create your profile using an AT&T sim, before you unlock the phone, that way you have access to the full app catalog.
    will a meta doctor bypass this?
    i got mine about a month ago. i am also a T-mobile customer. I bought mine BRAND NEW for around $250 off of a nice man on craigslist. I called CS for ATT right after i bought it and they were more than willing to give me an unlock code for FREE. I can access the catalog and everything. I now use my phone as if it's on the ATT network. woohoo. love it.
    I just got an AT&T Pixi Plus and want my wife to use it on tmobile. I obviously have access to a T-mobile SIM (my wife is on tmobile), so that part is not a problem. However, do I need access to a AT&T SIM, too, or just need someone with AT&T service to get the unlock code?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I just got an AT&T Pixi Plus and want my wife to use it on tmobile. I obviously have access to a T-mobile SIM (my wife is on tmobile), so that part is not a problem. However, do I need access to a AT&T SIM, too, or just need someone with AT&T service to get the unlock code?
    For the purpose of unlocking the phone all you need is an AT&T customer, preferabally with service for over 90 days, to call AT&T and get you the SIM 'unlock code'. Then simply insert the T-Mobile SIM and when asked input the 'unlock code'. Voila Palm Pre Plus on T-Mobile.

PS: The recommended method though is to first use an At&T Sim to register the phone with Palm and to create a 'Palm Profile', before unlocking the phone for use with T-Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    PS: The recommended method though is to first use an At&T Sim to register the phone with Palm and to create a 'Palm Profile', before unlocking the phone for use with T-Mobile.
    What's the downside of not using the AT&T SIM to register the phone?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    What's the downside of not using the AT&T SIM to register the phone?
    I am not sure of this part, but since 3G will not work with T-Mobile, you might need the AT&T SIM to be able to register with Palm. You cannot register via WiFi but then again maybe you could register with GPRS. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will clarify this.
    so I've been away from this forum for a while...

I'm on T-Mobile and simply want to swap in my SIM card.

Where is this unlock code?
    Why can't I just buy a Pre at AT&T and just pay the $40?
    I've seen some supposed unlocked Pre's from O2, etc. (overseas vendors), but am not convinced that I could swap in my TM SIM card.

I'd like to gain access to any future network offerings from T-Mobile, so will the Pre capture this functionality when it is eventually offered on T-Mobile ('true' 3G, etc.).

Also, I'm still searching around the forum, but I'm trying to figure out if any current apps on my ancient Treo650 are still offered on WebOS - such as MobiTV and Worldmate.

Thanks,

Greg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast