Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It'd be great if GSM providers here in the states stopped locking phones. It doesn't really help them keep customers.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/01/2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: language deleted
    I got mine off eba NIB and unactivated, so I'm guessing that it was bought off contract, but it coulda been on contract and then ETFed the nice yet clueless rep said that she was "not seeing the option to unlock it", which she chalked up to an exclusitivity agreement. (???).
    I got the same response from the rep. I think it means that you have to wait for the contract to be up before AT&T receives the unlock code for that IMEI. Can anyone confirm?
    My understanding is not that it's the contract (I have no contract) but that it's they just don't want to unlock it, because they're poopheads.
    I got the exact same response. I called in 3 times (I did not refer to the lawsuit because I was not aware of this), but the third time I got escalated to a manager. She kindly informed me that she was unable to do this because of an exclusivity agreement, and the option to request/receive an unlock code for this IMEI was not showing up.

I guess I can try again and refer to the lawsuit. We'll see how it goes.
    I read all the legal text, and it doesn't apply to handsets they have an exclusivity agreement for. Nevermind that Verizon had the same handset months earlier. They've got an exclusivity agreement on the GSM pre+, apparently.
    If they have an exclusivity agreement on the GSM pre+, it must have just started recently. The original posters in this thread 3-4 months ago had no issues at all.
    Someone said they changed their policy in june. I don't think I've seen any successes since. I'm probably just going to fork over $40 to a shady third party. Just for disambiguation, has anyone here tried this who actually *does* have an ATT contract, saying you're going to europe? (That is, since they allegedly changed their policy.)
    According to the poster who mentioned the policy change, if you wait 90 days, then you may be able to call in and get the code. I still have over a couple months to wait but that's what I'm going to try.
    vladi from earlier post said the new policy is to wait 6 months. i'm not sure when the 6 months starts. i'll try again after 90 days and then after 6 months.
    6 months after the release of the Pre+ on ATT would be 11/16, right? Which is 20 or so days from now... I'm not going to wait though.
    Quote Originally Posted by motsww View Post
    So now the only thing I'm not sure is whether I was told the truth that the "unlock code" was not even available to AT&T until the contract is up.
    This talk of the 'unlock code' not being available to AT&T is nonsense. In June, my friend bought an AT&T Pre+ called them for an 'unlock code' and unlocked the phone before sending it to me here in India. It's a shame that AT&T is resorting to blatantly lying and inconveniencing their paying customers. If the US government had any sense, they would immediately pass laws preventing companies from having exclusives. At the very least, all companies must be required to make a unlocked phone available without subsidies.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/27/2010 at 12:39 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    There's another thread where somebody said he went through ATT and Palm tech support and never got the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    I've got good news and bad news about unlocking a Pre via ATT for free...
    The good news is, you don't actually need to be a customer. You can just call them, dig through menus until you get to a customer service rep, tell them you're not a customer, and ask for an unlock code.
    The bad news is, the (kind but clueless) CSR I spoke to told me it was un-unlockable, because they have an exclusivity agreement.
    As far as the exclusivity agreement issue goes, they state that there's no termination date. The lawsuit's settlement requires that no more than 10 months is permitted.

That's precisely what they told me, after being bumped up to what they told me was the top of tech services' supervisors. Yet Palm insists that only the carrier may unlock a phone. So I went to Palm. They tell me that it is now "in the hands of the corporate office", from whence a decision will emerge. They also tell me that I'll be told before November 1, which is the day I fly out of the US.

We shall see.
    I've got good news and bad news about unlocking a Pre via ATT for free...
    The good news is, you don't actually need to be a customer. You can just call them, dig through menus until you get to a customer service rep, tell them you're not a customer, and ask for an unlock code.
    The bad news is, the (kind but clueless) CSR I spoke to told me it was un-unlockable, because they have an exclusivity agreement.
    I read all the legal text, and it doesn't apply to handsets they have an exclusivity agreement for. Nevermind that Verizon had the same handset months earlier. They've got an exclusivity agreement on the GSM pre+, apparently.
    Well ... it does. See the text (longer than 10 months? Get the code 90 days after getting the phone:

AT&T Mobility agrees to give to its eligible AT&T
    Wireless, Cingular and AT&T Mobility current and
    former customers, upon request and where
    available, codes that unlock AT&T Wireless, Cingular
    and AT&T Mobility handsets other than (i) the Apple
    iPhone; or (ii) any handset that AT&T Mobility
    introduces or has introduced for sale pursuant to a
    contract with a handset manufacturer that provides
    for an exclusivity period of ten (10) months or longer
    (“AT&T Handset”). Unlock codes for AT&T
    Handsets will be provided to eligible postpaid
    customers who have completed a minimum of
    ninety (90) days of active service with AT&T
    Wireless, Cingular or AT&T Mobility and who are in
    good standing and current in their payments at the
    time of the request.
    what does the 90 days start? You think ATT has the unlock code but will refuse to give it until you've waited 90 days? or is it that ATT won't receive the unlock code until after 90 days and really can't give you anything until then?
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    Well ... it does. See the text (longer than 10 months? Get the code 90 days after getting the phone:

AT&T Mobility agrees to give to its eligible AT&T
    Wireless, Cingular and AT&T Mobility current and
    former customers, upon request and where
    available, codes that unlock AT&T Wireless, Cingular
    and AT&T Mobility handsets other than (i) the Apple
    iPhone; or (ii) any handset that AT&T Mobility
    introduces or has introduced for sale pursuant to a
    contract with a handset manufacturer that provides
    for an exclusivity period of ten (10) months or longer
    (“AT&T Handset”). Unlock codes for AT&T
    Handsets will be provided to eligible postpaid
    customers who have completed a minimum of
    ninety (90) days of active service with AT&T
    Wireless, Cingular or AT&T Mobility and who are in
    good standing and current in their payments at the
    time of the request.
    What I meant was the settlement agreement didn't apply to the Pre, not that it not being unlockable didn't apply to the Pre. Sorry for any confusion.
    What I meant was the settlement agreement didn't apply to the Pre, not that it not being unlockable didn't apply to the Pre. Sorry for any confusion.
    The settlement agreement applies to any handset sold by AT&T ... except the iPhone.
    what does the 90 days start? You think ATT has the unlock code but will refuse to give it until you've waited 90 days? or is it that ATT won't receive the unlock code until after 90 days and really can't give you anything until then?
    Per the settlement agreement: "customers who have completed a minimum of
    ninety (90) days of active service with AT&T". In other words, they must give you a code 90 days after you start service.

But first they must have one.

Assuming they're telling the truth about not having one.

At this point, I assume nothing.
    Last edited by grankin; 10/27/2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling error fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    But first they must have one.

Assuming they're telling the truth about not having one.
    In June, my friend bought an AT&T Pre+. One day after buying the phone he called AT&T for an 'unlock code' and they gave him the code, no questions asked. He then sent the phone to me, which I am now using here in India. My friend had been an AT&T customer for longer than 90 days.

The 'unlock code' is generated by a software using th IMEI number and the software is with AT&T. They can generate an unlock code anytime they wish. AT&T is blatantly lying when they say they do not have the codes. The '90 days' period is only to screen out people buying phones 'exclusive' to AT&T and getting them unlocked to use with T-Mobile.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast