Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
    so I've been away from this forum for a while...

I'm on T-Mobile and simply want to swap in my SIM card.

Where is this unlock code?
    Why can't I just buy a Pre at AT&T and just pay the $40?
    I've seen some supposed unlocked Pre's from O2, etc. (overseas vendors), but am not convinced that I could swap in my TM SIM card.

I'd like to gain access to any future network offerings from T-Mobile, so will the Pre capture this functionality when it is eventually offered on T-Mobile ('true' 3G, etc.).

Also, I'm still searching around the forum, but I'm trying to figure out if any current apps on my ancient Treo650 are still offered on WebOS - such as MobiTV and Worldmate.

Thanks,

Greg
    If you want to pay the $40, that works. Cheaper to have a current AT&T customer get you the unlock code for free.

I'd stick with the AT&T Pre Plus although if you don't mind the Qwertz KB the unlocked German O2 device will do. I'd stay away from all other european models although its truly what vendor you purchase from that matters the most. The contract free AT&T Pre Plus is $399. doubt you'll get an EU unlocked device for that price.

Re Mobi TV, Nope, Not any AT&T apps except AT&T Navigator right now. More to come with future WebOS releases.

As for MobiTV, I've unpacked the two Sprint TV ipk's and examined the files they contain. Was going to modify the Sprint TV app for use on AT&T. Not sure if it will work. Also unpacked the mobitv ipa iPhone package looking for an AT&T static route I could use to replace the Sprint network static IP route the Sprint TV app uses so i could hopefully get the Sprint TV mobiTV app working for AT&T. Didn't find such an animal in the iPhone app. Mobi TV tech support was cooperative and verified their gatewaty for iPhone app is att.rest.mobitv.com (suspect they wouldn't mind collecting my $9.99 a month if I get it to work), but thats as far as I got. Sprint TV also employs coding for billing that mobiTV on AT&T doesn't use. AT&T's version is flat rate. Sprint charges per channel access, premium, , plus, etc. Considerations that just make this a tedious task. Also wanted to explore the old Palm OS mobitv app for information, but need to install the Palm OS emulator with a couple of 3rd party apps to examine the files. Seems like too much work to do when there will exentually be an AT&T TV app for the Pre Plus.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    If you want to pay the $40, that works. Cheaper to have a current AT&T customer get you the unlock code for free.

I'd stick with the AT&T Pre Plus although if you don't mind the Qwertz KB the unlocked German O2 device will do. I'd stay away from all other european models although its truly what vendor you purchase from that matters the most. The contract free AT&T Pre Plus is $399. doubt you'll get an EU unlocked device for that price.

Re Mobi TV, Nope, Not any AT&T apps except AT&T Navigator right now. More to come with future WebOS releases.

As for MobiTV, I've unpacked the two Sprint TV ipk's and examined the files they contain. Was going to modify the Sprint TV app for use on AT&T. Not sure if it will work. Also unpacked the mobitv ipa iPhone package looking for an AT&T static route I could use to replace the Sprint network static IP route the Sprint TV app uses so i could hopefully get the Sprint TV mobiTV app working for AT&T. Didn't find such an animal in the iPhone app. Mobi TV tech support was cooperative and verified their gatewaty for iPhone app is att.rest.mobitv.com (suspect they wouldn't mind collecting my $9.99 a month if I get it to work), but thats as far as I got. Sprint TV also employs coding for billing that mobiTV on AT&T doesn't use. AT&T's version is flat rate. Sprint charges per channel access, premium, , plus, etc. Considerations that just make this a tedious task. Also wanted to explore the old Palm OS mobitv app for information, but need to install the Palm OS emulator with a couple of 3rd party apps to examine the files. Seems like too much work to do when there will exentually be an AT&T TV app for the Pre Plus.
    Thanks, but I prefer to not even bother with the ATT 'workaround', and I dumped Sprint years ago.

I'm also researching the mobiTV/emulator approach, but I asked Mobi if this would work a while back, and they were unsure.

I need to be able to travel internationally with as few hassles as possible, so at worst swapping in a SIM card would be preferable at this point.

Thanks,

Greg
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    will a meta doctor bypass this?
    The 1st pre I unlocked I used the $40 solution, had to flash a custom firmware to activate the phone before unlocking and used a t-mobile SIM to set up my profile and had very limited access to the app catalog, even Facebook wasn't in there. My 2nd phone I did the way this thread describes, (set up a NEW profile bc the original profile was still limited access) and it worked perfectly. I would imagine metadoctor wouldn't help bc when you set up your profile Palm seem to check if you're on an approved carrier. Its the activation with Palm that seems to be key so activate with an approved carriers SIM.
    This did not work for me I called ATT and spoke with them the guy said that my pixi will get the unlock code in 90 days... Anyway I wanted to talk to manager so I spoke to him and he said that this is correct.

The thing is that the pixi have to be activated for 90 days not that you have to have account with them for 90 days... anyway i'm screwed....
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    Starting July 1st AT&T has changed the policy of phone unlockings.
    Phones can be unlocked only after 6 months of purchase which means earliest you could unlock a phone is December 31st.

I bought the Pixi on 2nd called AT&T to unlock it for me just to find out what I have said above.
    that's a bummer now i have useless palm pixi plus i think i will get rebel sim card
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Won't work.

JIC technologies will be working on the Pixi Plus unlock in the near future.
    near future means when?
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Starting July 1st AT&T has changed the policy of phone unlockings.
    Phones can be unlocked only after 6 months of purchase which means earliest you could unlock a phone is December 31st.

I bought the Pixi on 2nd called AT&T to unlock it for me just to find out what I have said above.
    I was doing some correspondence with Timothy Fisher

"The problem may be that AT&T is not obligated to honor the settlement agreement until the settlement is approved by the judge. The Court has scheduled a hearing on July 21 to consider the settlement. We will know more after that hearing."

will see what the hearing will say...
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    What is the settlement agreement all about?
    Could you fill me in?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    This did not work for me I called ATT and spoke with them the guy said that my pixi will get the unlock code in 90 days... Anyway I wanted to talk to manager so I spoke to him and he said that this is correct.

The thing is that the pixi have to be activated for 90 days not that you have to have account with them for 90 days... anyway i'm screwed....
    Did you buy the phone outright? I got my code the day I bought the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    What is the settlement agreement all about?
    Could you fill me in?
    http://www.attlockinglawsuits.com/

Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    Did you buy the phone outright? I got my code the day I bought the phone.
    Yes I did did
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am not sure of this part, but since 3G will not work with T-Mobile, you might need the AT&T SIM to be able to register with Palm. You cannot register via WiFi but then again maybe you could register with GPRS. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will clarify this.
    1. You CAN activate via Wi-Fi, via MetaDoctor.
    2. 3G =/= data. You can have data on T-Mobile 2G as well.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Great idea. Only thing missing from the equation with an AT&T Palm Pre Plus on T-Mobile's USA network is 3G data. If you can live with 2G EDGE data speed (150k - 190k max) with this device on T-Mobile's network, then yup. this is the answer for you!

TTB
    HI,,can i create my paml profile using a ATT gophone sim card?..i have a palm pre plus,,maybe i wont need to unlock the phone since the sim card is from att>>??? 2nd question,,i am also a tmobile customer, and if i do unlock the phone will i be able to use the web or the app catalog>>>????
    I have an AT&T palm pre plus. I put in a friend's sim card and finished creating a Palm profile and saw the intro video and tutorial on the phone.
    Then, I took out the sim card.
    I tried to turn on the phone again (this time with no sim card) and the phone gives me a screen telling me to insert a sim card.
    I thought if I performed the activation first step, I no longer should have problems turning on the phone even without a sim card.
    How do I turn on the phone without a sim card?
    It should be "activated", I have a palm profile, and I just want to turn on the phone and use it as a planner/music player.
    Hope to hear from you guys in the community!
    Quote Originally Posted by germanp88 View Post
    HI,,can i create my paml profile using a ATT gophone sim card?..i have a palm pre plus,,maybe i wont need to unlock the phone since the sim card is from att>>??? 2nd question,,i am also a tmobile customer, and if i do unlock the phone will i be able to use the web or the app catalog>>>????
    Don't see why not. GoPhone does support data out of the box but rates are exorbant. There is a 19.99/100MB package though, that's what I was using when travelling.

Although I've heard stories about AT&T locking people out using GoPhone cards on smartphones (like AT&T branded ones). Not sure how much truth to those.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've got good news and bad news about unlocking a Pre via ATT for free...
    The good news is, you don't actually need to be a customer. You can just call them, dig through menus until you get to a customer service rep, tell them you're not a customer, and ask for an unlock code.
    The bad news is, the (kind but clueless) CSR I spoke to told me it was un-unlockable, because they have an exclusivity agreement.
    Last edited by ctbeiser; 10/25/2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Upgraded punctuation.
    ctbeiser, where did you get your palm pre plus? I called customer support and wasn't able to get it unlocked because the "contract" was not up yet. Did you get it from previous owner or did you buy it in full from AT&T?
    Quote Originally Posted by motsww View Post
    ctbeiser, where did you get your palm pre plus? I called customer support and wasn't able to get it unlocked because the "contract" was not up yet. Did you get it from previous owner or did you buy it in full from AT&T?
    Tell them you're traveling out of the country for a few weeks and you need to unlock it for international use. Keep trying this until you get a rep who'll give you the unlock code.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I actually had a very nice and helpful rep who took the IMEI number and told me that AT&T does not have the unlock code for that IMEI at the moment because the phone was bought under contract (and so cheaper). I was told to call back when the contract was up. So now the only thing I'm not sure is whether I was told the truth that the "unlock code" was not even available to AT&T until the contract is up.
    Wouldn't it just be great for T-Mobile to carry a Pre and Pixi?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast