1.    #1  
    i know filecoaster did this at one point. but is there still a way to install and IPK file from a direct link to the file?
    In Preware - not at this time. I recently asked about this also
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    This needs to be added. Sometimes ipk's are provided outside of Preware feeds.
    I agree. Its easier to copy and paste a link into Preware (if the option existed) than to add a custom feed. And while we're at it, Preware should enable one-click custom-feed adding (click on a link and it adds it to Preware).
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I agree. Its easier to copy and paste a link into Preware (if the option existed) than to add a custom feed. And while we're at it, Preware should enable one-click custom-feed adding (click on a link and it adds it to Preware).
    The abilty to do this would be a great feature. But demanding something from an open source project that is developed during people's spare time is the wrong way to go about getting them. I think the simplicity of preware at this time is nothing short of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    The abilty to do this would be a great feature. But demanding something from an open source project that is developed during people's spare time is the wrong way to go about getting them. I think the simplicity of preware at this time is nothing short of awesome.
    Not demanding at all. My donation probably only went so far, but ideas should never cease to flow.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Not demanding at all. My donation probably only went so far, but ideas should never cease to flow.
    I agree that ideas should always flow. But we must all be careful of how we word our posts. I don't mean to criticise but your original post could be misread by a developer and this may discourage work.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I agree that ideas should always flow. But we must all be careful of how we word our posts. I don't mean to criticise but your original post could be misread by a developer and this may discourage work.
    I guess I forgot the
  9.    #9  
    wow im a little shocked that there isnt a way. thought it was just mean and not being able to find the right program. but judging by all of you wanting it... its not out. did filecoaster not do this before?
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Hopefully I'm not breaking up too good of an intelligence pi$$ing contest, but I think at one time I heard that Preware doesn't have a 'upload via URL' option for security issues. Preware apps/patches are only added once WebOS Internalz has had a chance to review them and ensure they are stable, if I read the response to a similar question asked a couple months ago correctly.....maybe Rod or someone else from the Internalz command center can chime in to correct me if this is a little off, but I believe that was their reasoning.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Let's not forget that ipk's have been around longer than WebOS. Sony had a phone that used them for installation, and even some HP iPaq's used the file format. Installing one of these via a Web link just because it's an ipk probably will kill your Pre/Pixi on the spot. Maybe not. Who knows, there could be a whole new set of apps already floating around that work on WebOS ..... Do a search for ipk files and by the time you've checked links on the first two or three Google or Yahoo results pages, you'll run into them.

All I'm saying is that it makes sense why IPK installation via a browser link is no longer supported by Palm. Could be a dangerous door to leave open .....

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Let's not forget that ipk's have been around longer than WebOS. Sony had a phone that used them for installation, and even some HP iPaq's used the file format. Installing one of these via a Web link just because it's an ipk probably will kill your Pre/Pixi on the spot. Maybe not. Who knows, there could be a whole new set of apps already floating around that work on WebOS ..... Do a search for ipk files and by the time you've checked links on the first two or three Google or Yahoo results pages, you'll run into them.

All I'm saying is that it makes sense why IPK installation via a browser link is no longer supported by Palm. Could be a dangerous door to leave open .....

TTB
    that doesnt make much sense. if you can drag it into quick install.. whats the difference if i can just link it in the phone. save the plug in part. its all about doing things wirelessly. i know at first.. there was that issue that a link via text that was to an IPK would install. thats def not what i want.. i want a place to paste it in.. like some step not just oh i clicked a link and its installing. u know a place you can copy and paste a link in.. and hopefully you know where the link came from. if not.. its not a big deal if it does screw up your phone.. who hasnt doctored it.. even with things in preware