Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I ran across a very strange bug in calculator this morning. I'm kind of wondering if its somehow specific to me, or if it's repeatable and if it is how many versions and platforms the problem exists on.

Basically to re-create my bug go into calculator, type .09 / .3 and see what it tells you the answer is.

Mine insists it's 1. (Hint: The real answer is .3)

And, in writing this, I checked it again with windows calculator and it gives me the same wrong answer... To check my math I had to fall back on my good old HP48G. How very strange.

Anyway, I'm on a pre with sprint 1.4.1.1. Can anyone else re-create this? On other carriers? On the Pixi? Maybe even explain what's going on?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Are you hitting the equal sign twice?

When you hit it the first time, it may appear that it didn't register, since the last number you typed into the calc was 0.3 and the answer is 0.3.

When you hit the equal sign again, you are essentially telling it to do the same operation (divide by 0.3) again. 0.3 / 0.3 = 1
    I just tried it and the answer is .3 but if you hit = twice it shows 1 ...

*edit* yeah what he said ^
    Wow, same thing happens if you divide 9 by 3, or 16 by 4, or 25 by 5.... ;-)

LOL, I guess this is the "Did the Pre just miss my click when I touched the screen" problem, so you hit it again to make sure that it did indeed register your click.
    Wow, same thing happens if you divide 9 by 3, or 16 by 4, or 25 by 5.... ;-)

LOL, I guess this is the "Did the Pre just miss my click when I touched the screen" problem, so you hit it again to make sure that it did indeed register your click.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    @mikey47

I love that you double posted that
    mikey that cracked me up...
    you need a haptic feedback patch for calculator. Hit thanks if that helped you.
    Ye this is going to work when you divide any square number by its root.
    When I pressed "=" the first time, nothing happened. When I pressed "=" again, then I get "1". Did it several times just now. Same thing.

Which of course elicits a long "duuuuuhhhhhh". Press "=" the first time, the display remained 0.3, which of course is both the last number entered, and it is also the answer.
    hmm very strange indeed
    hmm very strange indeed