Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Pre. I just recently installed one of the f102 overclock and have not seen any TMCs and my machine is running superb. All apps open within seconds. Well most apps do. there are two apps that are just slow. There is no reason they should be but they are. Pandora and Google maps. Both take close to 30 seconds or worse at times to open and both have a knack for not turning on at all when I need them most. I used to think it was the fault of my old Pre that was buggy and slow, but my new one makes iPhones cry except when loading google maps and Pandora.

Any tips? Has anyone found ways to make these apps load up faster and run more reliably?

Edit- oh and of the two Pandora is by far the worst offender. Just does not run like it should on Webos. I'd use one the other music streaming apps but i'm addicted to the quick mix feature. If any other apps have the quick mix i'd switch in a heartbeat.
    I have more of a problem with google maps than Pandora; takes forever to load.
    google does take forver...but pandora load fast and snappy for me.

I heart pandora radio
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I can't answer to Pandora but the reason google maps loads so slow is that google does not store anything on the phone for the application. The application is essentially a web launcher, thus the entire map and base information must load each time you start google maps. It is slow on everyone's Pre. Speed for this app is generally related to your connection speed.
    Dan
    Those two application are the ones that have a lot of data to load them,so that's why they take so long to load. A few more seconds won't hurt waiting for a proper loading app rather than a half dated one.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    My pre consistently loads pandora and google maps in 10 seconds or less and that's with the web browser open and either pandora or google maps already open.

My problem with pandora is when I launch it, hit the power button, to put the phone asleep and then put it in my pocket, it won't ever load up till I wake the phone back up....odd

My google maps issue is that it loads fine, but it'll just stay at the tower. I have to close it and launch it again to get it to lock on my position....?
    As others said, these apps depend directly on the speed of your data connection. Around my home (wi-fi), Pandora starts playing music in under 20 seconds and Google Maps loads in under 10 seconds. And Pandora is a great app, but yeah, Google maps is pretty good but could use an update. I disagree that they "suck on the Pre" though.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I disagree that they "suck on the Pre" though.
    Yeah bad title, those two apps are a pleasure to have.
    The only one that reaches 'suck' status is Google maps, but mainly because of the GPS issues. Of course all GPS-centric apps reach this status...
    Google maps is a funny one (we don't have Pandora here) - it's still a brilliantly useful app, but it isn't very accurate and it lacks a lot of features that other platforms have.

I like to think that Google work slowly on it because they view WebOS as serious competition to their Android baby
    Google maps sucks on the phone. no other word to describe it. My Treo 755p had a better google maps experience. My blackberry curve had a better experience. YPMobile is a much faster and better maping app.

Google maps sucks on the Pre.
    I can't speak for google maps, but Pandora works like a charm for me and always has. Slacker radio isn't to good for me though. Bans don't work all the time and sometimes it will log me out completely and not let me log back in for like 15 min.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Google maps is a funny one (we don't have Pandora here) - it's still a brilliantly useful app, but it isn't very accurate and it lacks a lot of features that other platforms have.

I like to think that Google work slowly on it because they view WebOS as serious competition to their Android baby
    Google works slowly on WebOS because they don't care so much about WebOS. Why would they spend so much to develope something that not many people appreciate it? Iphone is a serious competition, but Google map works great on that phone. Palm/HP really have to make a deal with them.
    This is where Google, Microsft and Apple will shine in this mobile space.

Both have a LOT of services they can apply to their mobile spaces. HP/Palm really needs strong partnerships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This is where Google, Microsft and Apple will shine in this mobile space. Both have a LOT of services they can apply to their mobile spaces. HP/Palm really needs strong partnerships.
    Ain't that the truth!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Google Maps didn't always load so slowly for me, but now it averages 45 sec at least before it opens. It's amazing, esp when you compare it to YPMobile which loads right away with GPS location to boot. If I need quick map info, I go to YP these days...
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    google does take forver...but pandora load fast and snappy for me.

I heart pandora radio
    +1, that is why I use Navit or Sprint Nav
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Both are loading based on your connection speed. Pandora is grabbing all of your user information in addition to trying and get the buffer for the first song going. Google maps as said by many others is nearly 100% web based so it's downloading the map at the same time it's trying to figure out where you are. Also, the GPS issues are Verizon's fault which there are patches to circumvent. I'm on Sprint and my GPS can nail me down to within a few feet on Google maps (even when in some types of buildings).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Man, my Nokia N79 with 434 Mhz arm opens google maps in about 5 seconds and it has voice operated query. Press the phone dial button, and say your destination. Google then finds the destinations with that name, and highlights them on the map with stickpins. Google maps uses my location to find queries closest to me.
    My Nokia isn't an Android phone so it doesn't have TTS guidance but it's miles faster than Pre.
    Google maps on the Pre does suck. It does work though. I guess we shouldn't complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This is where Google, Microsft and Apple will shine in this mobile space.

Both have a LOT of services they can apply to their mobile spaces. HP/Palm really needs strong partnerships.
    +1. I'll bet when Microsoft's next mobile OS comes out, they will have the latest and the greats Google maps app support or they will just use their own bing map to use on their mobile. Why can't Palm gets some support from those big names? Perhaps, HP can pull that trick.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast