Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Team, my pre was stuck at 800Mhz (Super Pre Kernel) following forced partial erase. I reinstalled the SPK but it seems that cpu freq remains fixed at 800mhz even if i uninstall the custom kernel or install another frequency. cat /proc/cpuinfo shows 800 all the time.

To address this, i just installed the recovery kernel which simply installs the palm's original 1.4.1.1 kernel. Prior to this installation, the linux command in WebOSQI

cat /proc/cpuinfo showed 800Mhz. It was stuck as stated above.

After the recovery kernel installation, it shows 600Mhz. I was expecting 500Mhz. Is that correct? Am I missing something? Please help. Thanks
  2.    #2  
    No answer? Anyone?
    Hey,

If you checked the /proc/cpuinfo output very soon after installing the new kernel, it may not have fully equilibrated back down to 500mhz - my understanding is that it can take some time, especially if you've been running at 800mhz for a while. You're right that it should not be 600mhz by default.

Marco used to say it would take up to one hour and a hard reboot (remove the battery to empty the capacitors for luck).

After that, if you're still stuck at 600mhz and you don't want to be then it sounds like a Full Erase and a quick visit to WebOS Doctor will do the trick.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Hey,

If you checked the /proc/cpuinfo output very soon after installing the new kernel, it may not have fully equilibrated back down to 500mhz - my understanding is that it can take some time, especially if you've been running at 800mhz for a while. You're right that it should not be 600mhz by default.

Marco used to say it would take up to one hour and a hard reboot (remove the battery to empty the capacitors for luck).

After that, if you're still stuck at 600mhz and you don't want to be then it sounds like a Full Erase and a quick visit to WebOS Doctor will do the trick.
    Thanks for the info. I did remove the battery for about 15 minutes. No change. It's been 15 hours since i installed the kernel. Should i leave the battery out for longer time?

Also, if i keep it at 600Mhz, would there be an issue with future webos updates? Thanks again.
    15 minutes is more than enough time to clear the capacitors - if that didn't work then I believe you are stuck at 600mhz without further action.

If you keep it at 600mhz you will definitely have problems updating your firmware - you originally had Super Pre Kernel, which was not update safe.

I feel bad for you, but I think the safest thing to do at this point is to do a Full Erase and then use WebOS Doctor to bring things back to normality. Remember to backup wirelessly using the backup app and also backup using the USB cable.

Good luck
    could you install govnah and set it to 500?
    If you are really worried, then WebOS Doctor your phone. It seems like something is still forcing your kernel to run at 600.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    You might also just have a bad installation. Go back into Preware, remove the kernel and then reinstall it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    You might also just have a bad installation. Go back into Preware, remove the kernel and then reinstall it.
    Hi. Reinstalled the recovery kernel. Still stuck at the 600Mhz. I am going to doctor the phone. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Hi. Reinstalled the recovery kernel. Still stuck at the 600Mhz. I am going to doctor the phone. Thanks.
    Before you do that, I would try this.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    could you install govnah and set it to 500?

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Before you do that, I would try this.
    Thanks. I will try that first.
    Go to the description of the app that they made called 'Password Generator' and look at their grammar. It SUCKS. This leads me to believe that this is not HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addyc View Post
    Go to the description of the app that they made called 'Password Generator' and look at their grammar. It SUCKS. This leads me to believe that this is not HP.
    Did you mean to post that in this thread?

After the recovery kernel installation, it shows 600Mhz. I was expecting 500Mhz. Is that correct? Am I missing something? Please help. Thanks
    Were you doing this through Terminus? Because it is a PDK based app so it will run the CPU in "turbo" mode, 600Mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addyc View Post
    Hey mate.... wrong thread lol

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  16.    #16  
    Hello. I installed Govnah app. Not the uber kernel (not yet). I selected governor -->userspace. I can set the speed to 500Mhz with max of 600 only as expected and I apply the settings. I can set the speed to 600 with max of 600 as well and it works.

However, when I reboot the phone it always goes to 600Mhz. I expected 500Mhz.

My concern here is not only the default cpu speed of 500 (i hate it now that i have been using 800 for 45 days), but also the integrity of the current kernel (i am assuming it is palm's orig webos kernel given i installed recovery kernel twice). The integrity may cause future webos upgrade.

Now a member X mentioned that uber kernel does a thorough verification of the current kernel and won't install if the kernel does not have absolute integrity. So if I try to install uber kernel and if the install fails, it would imply that integrity of current kernel is not good and the only resolution is now webos doctor as the same member X had suggested. If the install works ok, do i suggest assume everything is ok with the kernel? How do we explain the palm pre starting at 600Mhz turbo mode meant for 3D games only? Things are not adding up completely in my mind. Please comment. Thanks.

Also, I didn't understand the following comment

Were you doing this through Terminus? Because it is a PDK based app so it will run the CPU in "turbo" mode, 600Mhz.
    Hello. I installed Govnah app. Not the uber kernel (not yet). I selected governor -->userspace. I can set the speed to 500Mhz with max of 600 only as expected and I apply the settings. I can set the speed to 600 with max of 600 as well and it works.

However, when I reboot the phone it always goes to 600Mhz. I expected 500Mhz.

My concern here is not only the default cpu speed of 500 (i hate it now that i have been using 800 for 45 days), but also the integrity of the current kernel (i am assuming it is palm's orig webos kernel given i installed recovery kernel twice). The integrity may cause future webos upgrade.

Now a member X mentioned that uber kernel does a thorough verification of the current kernel and won't install if the kernel does not have absolute integrity. So if I try to install uber kernel and if the install fails, it would imply that integrity of current kernel is not good and the only resolution is now webos doctor as the same member X had suggested. If the install works ok, do i suggest assume everything is ok with the kernel? How do we explain the palm pre starting at 600Mhz turbo mode meant for 3D games only? Things are not adding up completely in my mind. Please comment. Thanks.

Also, I didn't understand the following comment

Your kernal is the palm default one, the 600mhz start up frequency is because the govnah now supports sticky reboots if there has been a safe power down or restart. If there is a battery pull without powering down the phone, then the govnah will revert back to stock settings, test this if you want. If there is an OTA update then the govnah will also go to stock.
    But your theory on the uber failing implies non intact palm default is right.

The terminus thing. I'm guessing terminus is written in C or some other language so for it to work on the phone it has to use the pdk (plug-in development kit designed by palm), so far (could change in future versions, I don't know) all pdk apps scale the cpu frequency to 600mhz so terminus will be no different if it is using the pdk to launch.
    your previous "cat /proc/cpuinfo" comment. If this command is typed in the application "Terminus" which is a terminal based application using some PDK framework, it will give you the CPU speed in its special PDK "turbo" mode which by default is 600Mhz. I'm guessing if you have no idea what I'm talking about you can probably disregard it.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Your kernal is the palm default one, the 600mhz start up frequency is because the govnah now supports sticky reboots if there has been a safe power down or restart. If there is a battery pull without powering down the phone, then the govnah will revert back to stock settings, test this if you want. If there is an OTA update then the govnah will also go to stock.
    But your theory on the uber failing implies non intact palm default is right.

The terminus thing. I'm guessing terminus is written in C or some other language so for it to work on the phone it has to use the pdk (plug-in development kit designed by palm), so far (could change in future versions, I don't know) all pdk apps scale the cpu frequency to 600mhz so terminus will be no different if it is using the pdk to launch.
    Thanks for the info. I will just plug out the battery without shutdown.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    your previous "cat /proc/cpuinfo" comment. If this command is typed in the application "Terminus" which is a terminal based application using some PDK framework, it will give you the CPU speed in its special PDK "turbo" mode which by default is 600Mhz. I'm guessing if you have no idea what I'm talking about you can probably disregard it.
    I did that via WebOSQI Linux commandline. Now before I installed SPK, i was getting 500Mbps as expected. So i still don't understand the turbo mode and terminus comment. Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast