Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    I did that via WebOSQI Linux commandline. Now before I installed SPK, i was getting 500Mbps as expected. So i still don't understand the turbo mode and terminus comment. Thanks.
    Terminus is an app that can be installed through preware. This app allows you to type linux commandline on the phone. If you open terminus and type cat /proc/cpuinfo it will return 600 because the app is using the pdk. However if you use wosqi or terminal commandline without terminus or any other pdk application open(all 3d games) then you will get 500 returned when you type in cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Are my making sense, it's late and I'm tired.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/12/2010 at 02:17 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Terminus is an app that can be installed through preware. This app allows you to type linux commandline on the phone. If you open terminus and type cat /proc/cpuinfo it will return 600 because the app is using the pdk. However if you use wosqi or terminal commandline without terminus or any other pdk application open(all 3d games) then you will get 500 returned when you type in cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Are my making sense, it's late and I'm tired.
    You are making sense. That's what i noticed as well. Thanks.
    Are you going to reinstall another kernal other than default?

I had the same issue after uninstalling the early 800mhz ipk. I just went ahead and installed uberkernal since it has so many safeguards and it has worked flawlessly.

If you want to be back at stock, the Doctor may be the way to go for you.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Look for Palm Kernel ( Pre/Pre+) in Preware and install it. This should bring back your Pre to original Kernel.

Also make sure to completely reboot your Pre after installing/uninstalling any Kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    Look for Palm Kernel ( Pre/Pre+) in Preware and install it. This should bring back your Pre to original Kernel.
    That is the one I used and it still went to 600. It could be different for the OP though.
  6.    #26  
    Your kernal is the palm default one, the 600mhz start up frequency is because the govnah now supports sticky reboots if there has been a safe power down or restart. If there is a battery pull without powering down the phone, then the govnah will revert back to stock settings, test this if you want. If there is an OTA update then the govnah will also go to stock.
    But your theory on the uber failing implies non intact palm default is right.

The terminus thing. I'm guessing terminus is written in C or some other language so for it to work on the phone it has to use the pdk (plug-in development kit designed by palm), so far (could change in future versions, I don't know) all pdk apps scale the cpu frequency to 600mhz so terminus will be no different if it is using the pdk to launch.
    I did the battery pull and govnah came back with 600Mhz. I guess there is still something wrong....
    I did the battery pull and govnah came back with 600Mhz. I guess there is still something wrong....
    Power down and then did a battery pull, or did a battery pull when the device was still running?
    I'm pretty sure it should revert back to default if you do the latter.

Can you set the cpu freq to 500 in govnah?
    If you had Dr'ed you would have been done a long time ago and all clean again.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgetmedic View Post
    Are you going to reinstall another kernal other than default?

I had the same issue after uninstalling the early 800mhz ipk. I just went ahead and installed uberkernal since it has so many safeguards and it has worked flawlessly.

If you want to be back at stock, the Doctor may be the way to go for you.
    I want to install uber kernel. And it probably would work just like in your case. My worry is the next webos update. When i uninstall uber kernel for the upgrade, would the webos update work? That's the main concern for now...Thanks.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgetmedic View Post
    That is the one I used and it still went to 600. It could be different for the OP though.
    Same here.
  11.    #31  
    Power down and then did a battery pull, or did a battery pull when the device was still running?
    I'm pretty sure it should revert back to default if you do the latter.

Can you set the cpu freq to 500 in govnah?
    I did both. And in both cases it came back up as 600Mhz. I can set the speed to 500Mhz using govnah's userspace governor with palm's default kernel (via recovery kernel).
    Last edited by palmpre06062009; 06/12/2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Same here.
    so can you scale it down usong the govnah to palm default 500 or get it at at 500 any other way?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    If you had Dr'ed you would have been done a long time ago and all clean again.
    Yes, that is the my last resort. Just checking on all the options provided by the team before i pull the plug. Also, I am reading up several of these options provided so that i don't miss anything. This screw up has made me somewhat anxious. And it is all Palm's fault. I simply rebooted the phone and it came back up with a message restart the phone to restore ur profile. Palm told me that this happens due to conflict with their database server...this forced partial erase etc..and that's went things went haywire...Otherwise things were simply great...oh well...still trying out a few things before calling on the doctor...just to see if things work...
  14.    #34  
    so can you scale it down usong the govnah to palm default 500 or get it at at 500 any other way?
    I can scale it down to default 500 via set speed 500 using userspace governor. It remains at 500 as long as the phone is up. If i reboot the userspace settings become 125, 600, 600..that is min max and setspeed settings.
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the palm recovery kernal.
    I don't know if that is just the sticky giving you those settings, when I go to userspace I get 500, 720, 720 since they are my sticky settings (720 fixed speed)
    Set the speed to 500 via palm default profile. Uninstall the govnah through preware then restart the pre and check the speed through wosqi or terminal (not terminus).
  16.    #36  
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the palm recovery kernal.
    I don't know if that is just the sticky giving you those settings, when I go to userspace I get 500, 720, 720 since they are my sticky settings (720 fixed speed)
    Set the speed to 500 via palm default profile. Uninstall the govnah through preware then restart the pre and check the speed through wosqi or terminal (not terminus).
    Since I don't have uber kernel, I believe my max is set at 600 in the userspace governor.

This is what i did. I installed recovery kernel and webosqi showed 600. Now when i go back to preware, it only allows me to install recovery kernel. I clicked installed again...and same 600 stuff.

Do u want me to try install recovery kernel and then immediately remove the kernel prior to phone reboot? That's the only time i have a chance to remove. Do u want me to install remove and then reboot the phone?
    Since I don't have uber kernel, I believe my max is set at 600 in the userspace governor.

This is what i did. I installed recovery kernel and webosqi showed 600. Now when i go back to preware, it only allows me to install recovery kernel. I clicked installed again...and same 600 stuff.

Do u want me to try install recovery kernel and then immediately remove the kernel prior to phone reboot? That's the only time i have a chance to remove. Do u want me to install remove and then reboot the phone?
    In govnah set the profile to palm default so that it is running at 500mhz, check this with cat /proc/cpuinfo, once you know it is at 500 uninstall govnah with preware. Now reboot the phone and put it in wosqi and do the cat /proc/cpuinfo. What do you get? It should be at 500 if I'm thinking right.
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/12/2010 at 12:09 PM.
  18.    #38  
    In govnah set the profile to palm default so that it is running at 500mhz, check this with cat /proc/cpuinfo, once you know it is at 500 uninstall govnah with preware. Now reboot the phone and put it in wosqi and do the cat /proc/cpuinfo. What do you get? It should be at 500 if I'm thinking right.
    Tried your suggestion. I see 500 first after applying palm default profile. uninstalled govnah. rebooted the phone. i see 600 with cat webosqi cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Tried your suggestion. I see 500 first after applying palm default profile. uninstalled govnah. rebooted the phone. i see 600 with cat webosqi cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Well that's definitely not right. So I think the best way to proceed is try webos repair utility and failing that its a doctor.
    utility is here http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/236486-webos-repair-utility-v2-1-a.html
    I recommend backing your preware saved package list with save/restore first.
    You can try repair utility with overide off first, but if that doesnt work try it on.
    I want to install uber kernel. And it probably would work just like in your case. My worry is the next webos update. When i uninstall uber kernel for the upgrade, would the webos update work? That's the main concern for now...Thanks.
    If you install the UberKernel you don't have to remove it as the UberKernel is OTA update safe, meaning that if the update doesn't support it, the UK will defer to the Palm kernel and turn itself off.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast