Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got tired of quietly waiting for SplashID desktop sync to appear so I wrote Splash Data to inquire. Based on the ensuing emails, it looks as if it's finally coming in a couple weeks. According to them it is a web based product. Below is a copy of communications.

Yippee!

Panagiotis Govotsos

Posted On: 08 Jun 2010 9:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you ever going to release the desktop component of SplashID to sync with WebOS? If so when do you expect to release it? I'm still carrying around my Centro only because of SplashID. Even if you just let the mobile version import / export csv to email would be fine.

Thanks

Christina Jackson

Posted On: 09 Jun 2010 12:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting us.

We are a couple of weeks away from releasing SplashID Web Version.

Thank you for being patient with us.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
    -- Christina
    SplashData Support

pgovotsos@*********

Posted On: 10 Jun 2010 12:21 PM

Thank you for the reply. Will the Web version of SplashID be able to sync with WebOS phones like the Palm Pre Plus? Also, will it be able to import data from previous versions of SplashID - particularly v4.x for Palm OS / Windows?

Thank you,
    Panagiotis Govotsos

Christina Jackson

Posted On: 10 Jun 2010 1:08 PM

Yes and Yes

Please let me know if you have further questions.
    -- Christina
    SplashData Support
    Don't know how I feel about my passwords being in the cloud. Will have to see about that.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update! I'm VERY excited to finally hear news about this!!!
    Good to hear! I can't wait until we get many of the app that Apple has already. It will be nice when I can play Words With Friends. Or something like it
    That's great. I have been very happy with SplashID for a long time (since PalmOS versions) and the program on WebOS is pretty nice. The upcoming sync will make it even better.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Indeed, thanks for that bit of news govotsos!!

Another faithful SplashID user here. Talk about depending on a single program! :O

WyreNut
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywayne View Post
    Don't know how I feel about my passwords being in the cloud. Will have to see about that.
    I'm a big fan of the cloud concept. I use Gmail, store my contacts in Google and will use some form of cloud memo and document storage as soon as I find one I like.

But putting all my passwords in the cloud? Nope. Not happening.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    SplashData has been saying this for months... I contact them 2 months ago and they said they had an alpha version that was supposed to come out soon. It looks like they have 1 part-time person working on this on some weekends and are taking sooo long that I just gave up on them.
    Does the PalmOS version sync to desktop well with Classic?
    I've given up on SplashID after having used it forever on PalmOS. The current WebOS version still has problems importing large record sets, doesn't properly sort Types if you have created new ones and imported them, and using their current backup method of emailing myself a backup file has failed. I'm looking into jVault.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    All my IDs and passwords, and personal info on the web? No thanks.
    I also looked into SpashID and found that Jvault from Cohosoft works really well and you can back up your password via email but also they have a separate Windows PC app that works with the webOS Jvault.

CohoSoft - jVault
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Which folder on the Pre do you insert the .csv file so that you can download the file onto the phone?
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    I've given up on SplashID after having used it forever on PalmOS. The current WebOS version still has problems importing large record sets, doesn't properly sort Types if you have created new ones and imported them, and using their current backup method of emailing myself a backup file has failed. I'm looking into jVault.
    Let us know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    All my IDs and passwords, and personal info on the web? No thanks.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Well now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. After thinking that I had given up on SplashID, now I don't know. There are things I don't like about jVault and things that I don't like about the SplashID for WebOS. But after trialing both, I find jVault on my Pre semi-unusable. I have a large data set ~ 750 records, and if I search for say my login to Netflix for example, where I have about 375 records in the category Login, it takes forever to scroll down to Netflix. So I use the search function in jVault -> it took 48 seconds to return results. It appears that any search will search the entire db, not just the current category. In SplashID, the same search took as long as it took me to type N E T.

FOLLOW UP: I have found that there is a function within jVault for "Search Titles Only." This is much quicker, about only 4 seconds of actual search. However first the user has to:
    1) click on the Search icon
    2) type letters "net"
    3) click on the Search icon again
    4) wait and get results - results will be returned for partial matches e.g. if I typed "net" (looking for Netflix) it will also return: Dish Network, Precentral.net, etc

With SplashID:
    1) type letters "net"
    2) get immediate results - results will be returned for full matches on the beginning of the word e.g. if I typed "net" (looking for Netflix) it only returnd: Netflix

jVault looks much better in this light.
    Last edited by Convert; 06/16/2010 at 11:46 AM.
    I would love to see them make SplashMoney. I still keep my Treo just for that app.
  17.    #17  
    I'm hoping that the "Web" version doesn't actually store the database in the cloud, but it just used the wireless IP connection to sync to the desktop.

There's a lot of things I don't like about jVault either. Especially when importing a SplashID database doesn't import the field names and you can't edit them on the desktop, only on the phone.

I just keep hoping that SplashID will happen soon. It's really the only thing I keep my Treo around for anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I'm hoping that the "Web" version doesn't actually store the database in the cloud, but it just used the wireless IP connection to sync to the desktop.

There's a lot of things I don't like about jVault either. Especially when importing a SplashID database doesn't import the field names and you can't edit them on the desktop, only on the phone.

I just keep hoping that SplashID will happen soon. It's really the only thing I keep my Treo around for anymore.
    I have a feeling this is what we are going to get: https://www.splashid.com/account/login ... i think that we are just going to get their SplashID Live access (which is a cloud solution) and not a local sync solution.. makes me so sad!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    +1. That and Teal Auto...which is coming to WebOS soon!
    As a few have indicated, it would take a lot of convincing to put the keys to "my world" on a cloud site maintained by third party.

How are we assured that no one at Splash has access to the unencrypted data?
    Is the encryption method used such that even the person that wrote the software cannot also write decryption software that could access the decrypted data without the password?

Overall, for passwords, I still would prefer a totally local solution, like PasswordsPlus ported to WebOS and syncable with the desktop version. But no one seems to be jumping right in there to do that.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast