Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately, but I can't decide whether or not to do it: Overclocking. I really want to do it, but I'm worried. My phone has heated up a couple of times uncontrollably (so bad that I had to turn the phone off, and pull the battery to cool it off, and stop the battery from draining completely. It went from 100% to 20% in under an hour). But I digress... My phone is slowww. Like, the messaging app sometimes takes up to a minute to open, and the lag between my finger and the screen dragging is just...annoying. I even downloaded the "Reduce Drag Radius 8px" patch to help alleviate this problem, and its helped. One of my favorite patches out there, to be honest.

That's my problem, so I want to know if overclocking is a smart idea? Also, has anyone who has overclocked had their phones annihilated from overclocking? Are the risks great, or will the fact that when the phone is on stand-by it reverts to back 500Mhz cool it off?

I can't afford a phone if my phone gets destroyed, so I'll be screwed. Everyone here is really awesome, and I haven't had a bad experience with the precentral forum goers, so I know you guys wouldn't steer me wrong.

Thanks in advance, guys!
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    check you battery it might be one of the bad ones the pre was first shipped with (do you have the palm pre or +)...i overclocked and have not looked bad no heat issues
  3.    #3  
    I have a Sprint Pre. Actually, my 4th Pre. So it may be a refurb. How do you know if it is a bad battery?

There have been no reports of the Overclocking destroying a phone, but understand it does void the warrenty, and still has the possiblity.

I'd suggest for you to wait at least for 1.4.5, see if it increases speed enough for you.

Also there are general suggestions to speed up the phone in general such as deleting call history, turning off logging, deleting/turning off the backup, each of which a search could reveal and get testimonials for. Dr.ing the phone also provides a speed-boost for me.

I'd suggest you to also try the Faster Animations patch which is very nice.

However if you are still not satisfied, over-clocking is determined to be reasonably safe. If your scared of overheating, make sure to install the Alert on Overheating patch and just keep an eye on your phone. But just be aware that there is always a risk, and the number one heat producer is the Communications Chip, so throwing a phone into Airplane Mode could help in a heating situation.
    If your messaging app takes that long to open, you have some problems that overclocking won't fix. You should run webos doctor and start fresh and see how it works. Be careful with the patches you re-install and see if you still have the lag and slowness. I bet it will be much better. Then, install Uberkernel and Govnah and enjoy your "new" Pre.
    I would recommend a doctor visit to see if that solves your problem. & minute for sms app sounds super long, delete some of your sms if you have a lot.
    if yr losing 80 percent an hour,,u have bigger issues then overclocking you should look in to
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    If your messaging app takes that long to open, you have some problems that overclocking won't fix. You should run webos doctor and start fresh and see how it works. Be careful with the patches you re-install and see if you still have the lag and slowness. I bet it will be much better. Then, install Uberkernel and Govnah and enjoy your "new" Pre.
    Hmmm...I wonder if the Facebook Chat Spoof patch could be contributing?

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    if yr losing 80 percent an hour,,u have bigger issues then overclocking you should look in to
    That only happened a couple times. My phone got really hot and the battery started draining at an alarming rate. A battery pull fixed the issue both times.

even so,,a couple of times,,with out overclocking would make me a bit nervous about oc until I figure out why that happen,,u talk like it is nothing,,it is not normal.
  11.    #11  
    Oh, I know it isn't normal. I looked it up on here, and a few others were having the same problem. People said pulling the battery would fix it, and it has. That's mainly why I am nervous about it. I want to OC, but at the same time, my phone does this unexpected heat thing once every blue moon. I don't think Sprint will give me a new phone just because I say that the phone is getting really hot. They usually want some proof, of which I can't provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx Spaced xX View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder if the Facebook Chat Spoof patch could be contributing?
    I don't think so, unless you stay logged in all the time, which would suck your battery and cause high temps. Again, how about a WebOS doctor? It will take less than an hour and you will only loose your texts and patches. Just to be safe, back up the USB partition to your computer.
    I don't think so, unless you stay logged in all the time, which would suck your battery and cause high temps. Again, how about a WebOS doctor? It will take less than an hour and you will only loose your texts and patches. Just to be safe, back up the USB partition to your computer.
    you can use save/restore to back up your saved package list in preware and then just restore it and reinstall all patches and apps.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. It makes sense. Start fresh and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    you can use save/restore to back up your saved package list in preware and then just restore it and reinstall all patches and apps.
    Yeah, that works good, especially for the patches. I doesn't restore all your apps data, but it will do quite a number of them. Your purchased apps will come back.
    try deleting your call history.. huge difference on my overclocked pre.. no idea why...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xx Spaced xX View Post
    That only happened a couple times. My phone got really hot and the battery started draining at an alarming rate. A battery pull fixed the issue both times.
    I can only tell you what I wound up doing after experiencing a *VERY* hot battery, (uncomfortably hot just setting at the dinner table in my shirt pocket). I had the wife touch it, (misery loves company), then totally shut it down. For the following week I experienced a battery discharge rate far beyond what I was used to after a couple months experience with my Verizon Palm Pre Plus. Thought about taking it in, but this Verizon Store likes to replace phones with a refurbished one and you keep your current battery - I was convinced the battery is the problem.

I think I've read about everything there is in these forums, (old and new posts), and tried all of the tricks for "managing" battery life. Still convinced it was the battery itself, I ordered a fifteen buck replacement battery (Palm BP1) just like what was in it off of Verizon.

The battery arrived in today's mail and is now in the phone, fully charged.

Over the past 3 hours (it has not touched my TouchStone again after reaching 100%), I have had 2 short phone calls, a couple of text message exchanges, responded to 3 emails, took 3 pictures and sent copies to myself on another account, updated my FaceBook status, performed a minor edit to a page on my blog and about 10 minutes of minor web surfing. After all that, my current battery capacity is...

Drum roll please...

95%

Your mileage may vary, but that is what happened to me and what I've chosen to do about it. Good luck with yours!

~~~

Edited: One thing I forgot to mention, when the new battery arrived today I was *very* careful to compare new/old to assure the packaging was the exact same form factor and all of the numbers matched. I've been burned via "mail-order" long before there was an Amazon.com -
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 06/10/2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: An afterthought..
    Nothing but good experiences with my overclocking

Go for it
    This signature for rent
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for everything guys! I think I'm going to doctor my phone, overclock it, then get a new battery. Pretty sure Sprint gave me a refurb when I got my replacement earlier this year, and it came with an older battery.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i got 3 replacement phones so far and i have the same battery since i first got my phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast