Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    When I'm traveling in my truck, I keep my Pre on a Touchstone and generally have Trapster running, as well as some sort of podcast playing over bluetooth. I've recently installed UberKernal and Govnah, so I've been paying attention to the temp of the device. I've installed Jason's Device Temperature Warnings and use the temp readout in Govnah too.

I've found that if I don't do anything to cool the Pre it runs anywhere from 42, to 45 which is too hot for my liking. If I kill Trapster, I can get that down a degree or two, but that sort of defeats my purpose. I can also get some heat reduction if I run Brightness Unlinked and let it shut the screen completely off, but again that's sort of defeating my purpose, tho not as much. Also, going from Screenstate 500/800 to the Palm Default 500 helps if I keep the screen on. Another trick that helps some is turning my AC to come out the floor vents which increases air flow around the dash where my Touchstone is mounted.

I was pondering how I might be able to come up with some sort of heatsink that I could mount around the Touchstone when I had another thought. I opened the Pre on the Touchstone and got a three to four degree drop which is plenty to keep me under 40 degrees and happy.

I may still try and come up with a heatsink solution, but I thought I'd pass this along and see what other peeps are doing.
    keep your pre cool? have it smoke cigarettes and wear skinny jeans. a tattoo wouldn't hurt either.

I haven't had any heat problems so far so I have no experience.
    This signature for rent
    Try Unixpsycho's F104 kernel. Seems to run cooler for me.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Well I did try the skinny jeans, but those just make her look hot. Then I thought about the cigarettes, but I decided i was trying to AVOID her smoking so that's out.
    You can keep the temperature down if placed in a vent mounted holder and you use the A/C.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekpyr View Post
    Try Unixpsycho's F104 kernel. Seems to run cooler for me.
    how do you find this kernel
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    keep your pre cool? have it smoke cigarettes and wear skinny jeans. a tattoo wouldn't hurt either.

I haven't had any heat problems so far so I have no experience.
    You stole my joke...

But cigarettes are hardly cool anymore, weed is where it's at.. (coming from a 17 year old living in Vancouver, B,C, Canada, where marijuana generates about 7 billion dollars annually. IT's okay to be slightly suspicious, not okay to assume.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinola View Post
    how do you find this kernel
    This thread has a link .

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nel-rocks.html
    I notice my pre gets very hot after i come home from school and the battery is low and i put it on charge..gets pretty damn hot in the 40's.

airplane mode, or wifi help, basically not using 3g data. Turn the screen brightness as low as possible. and maybe turn the AC on?
    I have same issue when using my Pre as a Hotspot. My concern is that the heat will wear out the Pre faster. Does anyone think this is a problem or should be a concern?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I was pretty impressed at the difference on the Touchstone with the Pre open. Give that a shot.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Another trick is to make sure the Pre is mounted so that it can get a good signal when you're driving. Constantly dipping in and out of a signal, even if it's just every couple of seconds, will mean less charging/power needed while on the dock. You probably already keep it out of direct sunlight so I wont suggest that...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3