Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    difference between Warthog and SBromwich?
    Both of them are developer experimental testbeds, not intended for end users.

If you want to know what they do, you have to read the kernel source code patches at git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/summary

If you're an end-user looking for a kernel to run on your phone, those two are not intended for you. The others are.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Unixpsycho - just reporting in on some unique heating issues with F102. Running it now for several weaks, only time I hit temp warning is using GPS and car charging at the same time. Happened 3 times since installing.

Other than that (which I am sure has to do with the charging and using the intense Google maps GPS program at the same time), it has been perfect.

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    Ezrabrooks is my fav bourbon.
    $51 was the fine for underage drinking.
    I see that the kernel on unixpyscho homepage has an 'X' behind the WebOS version numbers. I know stupid question but making sure is never stupid...so here's my question. Does the 'X' (e.i. 1.4.x) mean it is ok to reinstall after an update as long as I doesn't past or to 1.5.x? I'm addicted to the smooth flow of the phone with your kernel and TMC is a thing of the past and I want it to stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I see that the kernel on unixpyscho homepage has an 'X' behind the WebOS version numbers. I know stupid question but making sure is never stupid...so here's my question. Does the 'X' (e.i. 1.4.x) mean it is ok to reinstall after an update as long as I doesn't past or to 1.5.x? I'm addicted to the smooth flow of the phone with your kernel and TMC is a thing of the past and I want it to stay there.
    They are known to work for 1.4.5.
    Live free or DIE!
    ok thanks.....reinstalling!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I've been using the F102 kernal for a couple weeks now I think, and I've been loving it. Recently however I've noticed my battery life sucking more... I don't feel like I using it any more on average, so I thought maybe this might be it? Anyone have battery issues with F102?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    i have looked all over for the uber kernel download link cant find it anywhere can someone please help!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by snelly1972 View Post
    i have looked all over for the uber kernel download link cant find it anywhere can someone please help!!!!!
    Well, you won't find it in an F102 thread ...

What Google search terms have you used so far?

-- Rod
    Uberkernal can be installed via Preware. It is in the WebOS Kernels feed. Take a look at the instructions here for adding the feed:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2532084
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    F102 is the best Kernel for the pre since I have downloaded/installed ir about a month ago I had no issues with my phone.. Or more importantly no too many card error...... Which is great.
    I can run more than one 3D games at the same time with no issues....

the only thing is that sometime it lags but not often so its not a big deal at all...
    Unixpsycho - scratch what I said below. Phone with screen off and no apps running, when I charge with car charger, I hit the hit temp warning.
    It must be the car charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrabrooks51 View Post
    Unixpsycho - just reporting in on some unique heating issues with F102. Running it now for several weaks, only time I hit temp warning is using GPS and car charging at the same time. Happened 3 times since installing.

Other than that (which I am sure has to do with the charging and using the intense Google maps GPS program at the same time), it has been perfect.

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    Ezrabrooks is my fav bourbon.
    $51 was the fine for underage drinking.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrabrooks51 View Post
    Unixpsycho - scratch what I said below. Phone with screen off and no apps running, when I charge with car charger, I hit the hit temp warning.
    It must be the car charger.
    I have noticed it too. Maybe it had been happening all the time but I didn't have the temperature warning patch installed. I saw it with uberkernel as well.

Installed this F102a on my pre and my gf's. Her's runs very well.
    A little hot at times, especially when charging. Had to remove temperature patch as the alert kept going off all night.
    On hers it takes about 1-2 seconds for the device to wake from sleep. If you press the top right power button it takes the longest. On touchstone, it wakes quicker. Battery also drains significantly faster when in use. When not being used, standby/sleep has normal (which isn't great) drain.

I just got my 4th replacement pre (anyone who says the hardware is adequate is dreaming). Whenever I put the device to sleep the device doesn't wake up. The only way to get it to come back on is pulling the battery out. I've doctored it, repaired it, done partial erase and nothing fixes it.

UPDATE: Removed F102A and now my power switch doesn't even work. Don't know if it's harware or software related....

Just thought I would share this feedback. When it is on though, it flies!!! As I read more than post on here, just wanted to take the time to say thank you to the developers and programmers here dedicating their time to the homebrew community. You guys are the ONLY reason I still have this thing.
    Last edited by hwoarang_do; 07/15/2010 at 01:18 PM.
    So... who is still running F102a? Anyone new running it since it was added to stable kernel options in Preware?

I tried it before, back in the day, and had issues with heat and lockups etc. But, have found the stable version to run very consistently, quickly and cool. I also like the simplicity of having one thing that runs behind the scenes.

The one thing the jury is out on is battery life. I USUALLY have better luck with fixed 800 as opposed to screen state, when it comes to battery life. But, recently, it seems everything kills my battery, whether I'm using Uber/Govnah fixed 800 or F102a, so I'm sticking with F102a for a while and I've switch off all network functions except my phone, and only turn them on when in use. I've been running battery monitor today and have been running between 3 and 4% per hour drain, with little or no use of the phone (the occasional checking of email or text).

Anyone out there switch from Uber/Govnah running either screentstate 500/800 or fixed 800 to Delta Dagger? and Why?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So... who is still running F102a? Anyone new running it since it was added to stable kernel options in Preware?

I tried it before, back in the day, and had issues with heat and lockups etc. But, have found the stable version to run very consistently, quickly and cool. I also like the simplicity of having one thing that runs behind the scenes.
    That's a strange thing to say - for all overclocking solutions from WebOS Internals there is only one thing running 'behind the scenes' and that is the kernel. In all cases, Govnah simply sets the kernel parameters and does nothing else afterwards.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's a strange thing to say - for all overclocking solutions from WebOS Internals there is only one thing running 'behind the scenes' and that is the kernel. In all cases, Govnah simply sets the kernel parameters and does nothing else afterwards.

-- Rod
    You are right, of course. I guess I just like the feeling of simplification that putting adding the one kernel does, without need for a separate governor. While others see it as better control, I see running with just F102 as running lean-and-mean.

That said, I'm not truly married to any one solution and would like to have a better understanding of the features and benefits of each option. Which is why I would still love to know who is using F102A vs Uber/Govnah in either fixed 800 or screenstate. I'm not looking for absolutes and it's NOT a contest. But, I am interested in knowing who has had better luck with either, particularly in terms of battery life, and, perhaps why they think that is.

Right now, for me, F102A has run fast and cool. But, I have felt, in all cases (with Uber/Govnah as well) that my battery life seems way down (I used to power use and run for 12-16 hours with 20%-40% left. I now turn everything off and use judiciously, and can still kill my phone by 5 or 6pm). Today, though I've run battery monitor most of the day (with everything turned off EXCEPT the phone radio) and have averaged 3-4% battery usage per hour.

In a couple of days, I'm probably going to switch back to Uber/Govnah and try running 500/800 followed by fixed 800 to see which gives me best battery life.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    You are right, of course. I guess I just like the feeling of simplification that putting adding the one kernel does, without need for a separate governor.
    You're still missing the point of my post. The governor code is built into the kernel, it is not separate.

The Govnah application simply tells the kernel which governor code it should be using. The kernel either uses a certain governor by default at boot, or changes to a different governor (the code for which is still in the same kernel, not separate) when directed.

Once the device is up and running, there is no difference from a kernel using a certain set of cpufreq & governor settings at boot, compared to the kernel being told to switch to that same set of cpufreq and governor settings after boot. There is no separate code or service or whatever running if you happen to switch the parameters after boot. It's the same kernel code in all cases.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    O.K. I do understand. Going from that standpoint, is there any discernible difference between F102A and Uber/Govnah running 500/800?

I know I have found Uber/Govnah running fixed 800 to run more stably (i.e.,fast, stable, cool, decent battery life) than the same running screenstate 500/800 (which usually hits me with freezes, slow downs, locking at 500 Mhz, and poor battery life). But F102A doesn't appear to have any of these issues.

Are there quantifiable differences between Uber/Govnah's screenstate 500/800, and F102A that could be identified as the reason for this? Or is it simply that my device happens to have better luck with one screenstate option over another, but someone else's might be the other way around?

I was also interested in knowing if anyone had compared running F102A to Uber/Govnah at fixed 800Mhz?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You're still missing the point of my post. The governor code is built into the kernel, it is not separate.

The Govnah application simply tells the kernel which governor code it should be using. The kernel either uses a certain governor by default at boot, or changes to a different governor (the code for which is still in the same kernel, not separate) when directed.

Once the device is up and running, there is no difference from a kernel using a certain set of cpufreq & governor settings at boot, compared to the kernel being told to switch to that same set of cpufreq and governor settings after boot. There is no separate code or service or whatever running if you happen to switch the parameters after boot. It's the same kernel code in all cases.

-- Rod
    O.K. I do understand. Going from that standpoint, is there any discernible difference between F102A and Uber/Govnah running 500/800?

I know I have found Uber/Govnah running fixed 800 to run more stably (i.e.,fast, stable, cool, decent battery life) than the same running screenstate 500/800 (which usually hits me with freezes, slow downs, locking at 500 Mhz, and poor battery life). But F102A doesn't appear to have any of these issues.

Are there quantifiable differences between Uber/Govnah's screenstate 500/800, and F102A that could be identified as the reason for this? Or is it simply that my device happens to have better luck with one screenstate option over another, but someone else's might be the other way around?

I was also interested in knowing if anyone had compared running F102A to Uber/Govnah at fixed 800Mhz?

thanks!
    Sorry to drag this one from the dead but I have been looking and I cannot find much comparison info between UK and F102A - does anyone have advice on where I can find this info?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Sorry to drag this one from the dead but I have been looking and I cannot find much comparison info between UK and F102A - does anyone have advice on where I can find this info?
    I'll drag it up again 3 months later Just did a doctor and was wondering if it's worth checking out, or if better off to just stick to the tried and true. (for a Pre-)

(-to the day....unintentional)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567