Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Working great with Webos 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Apart from battery calibration effects, I'm not aware of any code in any of the overlocking solutions which changes it's behaviour over time.

In my opinion (and it's my personal opinion only), all previous statements from others about needing to let things "settle" for some period of time are not able to be supported with technical facts.

Once you reboot the device (to reset any parameters in memory), the kernel operates the same way every time when provided with the same input stimulus.

The most likely thing to change the battery usage is how hard the phone radio is needing to work to talk to the tower. And this is affected by such random things as interference from overclocking frequencies themselves, and the number of other cellular users in the same area (which will probably change depending on which day of the week it is). If your phone is flipping between Evdo and 1x, or flipping between talking to two different towers, then that is going to kill your battery quick smart.

-- Rod
    Is it just me or does Rod seem a bit grumpy these days? Rod, please remember that we are all a bunch of morons and even those of us who can crawl our way to the testing feed and figure out how to install alpha versions of apps are going to have to be led by the hand through every step of everything we ever do. We all know we should know enough to be alpha testers and we should and we regret not being up to the task. The best you will get from most of us is blind obedience and undying reverence for your knowledge and your patience. Please forgive us our unworthiness, and remember the obligations of your station. As dumb as we are, we are like geniuses compared to the 98 percent of Pre users who are never even here. That makes you like the gods that Hercules worshipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Is it just me or does Rod seem a bit grumpy these days? Rod, please remember that we are all a bunch of morons and even those of us who can crawl our way to the testing feed and figure out how to install alpha versions of apps are going to have to be led by the hand through every step of everything we ever do. We all know we should know enough to be alpha testers and we should and we regret not being up to the task. The best you will get from most of us is blind obedience and undying reverence for your knowledge and your patience. Please forgive us our unworthiness, and remember the obligations of your station. As dumb as we are, we are like geniuses compared to the 98 percent of Pre users who are never even here. That makes you like the gods that Hercules worshipped.
    Well there has been alot of ill-informed statements being made on the forums about certain things that cause more problems for new users looking for info. Then you have users "wanting" to be alpha-testers but have no idea what they are installing. Like if a developer asks "what does the output of awk;grep;bla say"? The answer shouldnt be "...what do you mean?" or "...it just shows stuff...".

I know *I* have been a little grumpy lately.
    Live free or DIE!
    I know *I* have been a little grumpy lately.
    What I said for Rod goes equally for you. On behalf of my fellow morons, I beg forgiveness.
    Heh - you guys should sample the environment of custom ROM development for end-users in other phone hacking communities ...

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, I reserve the right to call things as I see them. I repectfully declined the nomination of 'Forum Leader' because I cannot promise to be nice all the time. My station on this forum is 'Developer', nothing more.

To understand how the actions of alpha testers affect the mood of the developers, consider this:

Good alpha testers read everything they can find before trying something, give detailed repeatable test cases when reporting issues, and are willing to go to great lengths to assist in debugging.

Poor alpha testers read nothing, ask questions that were answered in the post two above theirs, and resort to making irrational and unjustified comparisons when things go wrong.

Good alpha testers accelerate development and then well-tested products get to end-users in shorter time-frames.

Poor alpha testers suck the joy out of development, and slow things down for everyone.

It's all about attitude, not about skill or intelligence ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/21/2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Just wanted to post my thanks to Unix and all the Webos crew. I am running 104 and its great. Battery life is as good if not better than uberkernal (havent tested enough yet) and its been rock stable. I would say that doing a doctor before doing this is important to start clean.

Great work and I hope Palm pays attention to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    So you're turning your phone into a RAZR by turning off data?
    I meant to answer sooner...

Funny. You mean the kind you shave with, or the most featureless phone ever, next to the Vertu?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Apart from battery calibration effects, I'm not aware of any code in any of the overlocking solutions which changes it's behaviour over time.

In my opinion (and it's my personal opinion only), all previous statements from others about needing to let things "settle" for some period of time are not able to be supported with technical facts.

Once you reboot the device (to reset any parameters in memory), the kernel operates the same way every time when provided with the same input stimulus.

The most likely thing to change the battery usage is how hard the phone radio is needing to work to talk to the tower. And this is affected by such random things as interference from overclocking frequencies themselves, and the number of other cellular users in the same area (which will probably change depending on which day of the week it is). If your phone is flipping between Evdo and 1x, or flipping between talking to two different towers, then that is going to kill your battery quick smart.

-- Rod
    Rod,

Thanks! I've had some interesting results the past few days. Here are a few scenarios running F102,

Day 1) with very light use, I can leave the data on, and get about 16 hours out of one charge.

Day 2) With closer to moderate use and data off, when not in use, I can get the same (16 hours)

Day 3) With data on all day, moderate to heavier use (ie. a few calls, some texts, some compulsive email checking, and downloading all my email history to my phone), AND running Weatherman, which puts a weather widget on the desktop (I set it to 1 hour updates just for fun) I burned through my first battery by 5pm. On my second battery, keeping data on, but turning Weatherman off, AND finishing downloading my email history (about 500 emails), I have gone about 4.5 hours and killed half my second battery charge (it's almost 9:25 and I'm at 50%).

I have found that, unlike other (previous) overclocking and cpu scaling solutions, as soon as I ask the device to do any real work, it sucks the battery down. I swear, back in the WebOS 1.1 days, running CPU Scaling, I could easily get 16 hours of what I consider serious power use (i.e., 30 minutes to an hour of calling, dozens of texts, an hour or so of music, regular compulsive email checking, and all the web surfing I can eat), and I would still have between 25% and 40% of my battery power left.

The closest I recall coming to this kind of near-bottomless battery performance, was with the 800Mhz .sh kernel.

The best balance I have found in recent, supported solutions, has been Uber/Govnah, running performance with min/max fixed at 720. It gave me the best balance of speed, low temperature and battery life, and I would still be doing it if my Pre it was running on hadn't developed that wonderful crack in the USB door and needed replacing. This prompted me to get bored and experiment.

Tomorrow, knowing I will not be downloading around 700 emails (all for business records) like I did today, I will keep Weatherman off, turn data off unless in use, and see what happens again. I am going to have to resist the urge to use my new Naztech charging holster.

Wednesday, I may switch to F104 (and set Govnah for performance min/max 720). Question...if going to F104, do I really need to doctor the phone? I've been through a lot of Pre's (all documented in other threads) and I'm super tired of reloading everything.

My last step will be to go back to Uber, possibly the new Alpha version with Compcache, and, go back to performance 720/720.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/21/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Ok giving it a try now. Uninstalling Uberkernel....plugging in USB and running WebOSQI.....
    F102 = cottonseed food allergen... After working for an allergy diagnostics company, that's what F102 means to me...
    F102 = cantaloupe food allergen.... After working for an allergy diagnostics company, that's what F102 means to me.... At first I thought it was cottonseed >.>
    I love this kernel! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I installed the F104 Kernel with Govnah and my Palm Pre (Sprint) works great! I can have many cards open at once, including PDK apps like Need 4 Speed without restarting my phone. I definitely can't complain. Haven't had any lockups or phone problems of any sort. Shout out the the developer who made the Kernal.
    Palm Pre Owner|Sprint Everything Data + Corporate Discount + Perks Galore....
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    Working great with Webos 1.4.5
    we have a leaked developer here.

lol, thanks for the testing!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Perhaps a stupid question... But, does this have any over heating issues when being used with the TS?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    we have a leaked developer here.

lol, thanks for the testing!
    Since 1.4.5 is right around the corner, is there any reason to install this now? I see it in Preware just calling to me, but I assume I have to uninstall it before running the update (or will AUPT work for a kernel?).
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    xImtc stole a bit of my thunder. Does F104 support AUPT since it is an alpha build?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb1313 View Post
    Perhaps a stupid question... But, does this have any over heating issues when being used with the TS?
    I've definitely had it get warmer on the TS. Using Brightness Unlinked has solved the issue in both my car and at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by shieldss View Post
    xImtc stole a bit of my thunder. Does F104 support AUPT since it is an alpha build?
    F102A (note the A), F104A (note the A), F105, UberKernel, SBromwich, Warthog, are all packaged properly and OTA-safe. You should install them from Preware alpha testing feeds, and can leave them installed when accepting 1.4.5

All other kernels are not. This includes the F102 (note the lack of an A) and the F104 (note the lack of an A) kernels (they are packaged properly, but not OTA-safe).

If you installed a kernel with something other than Preware, or from somewhere other than a feed from ipkg.preware.org, you should remove it and in some cases webOS Doctor before 1.4.5

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    difference between Warthog and SBromwich?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast