Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 140
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Excellent, thanks. I might try F104 later, but right now F102 seems to be running just fine and I'm enjoying the speed decent battery life (going on about 11 or 12 hours and I'm still at 48%), and low temperatures. One thing I am doing is turning off my data when not in use, to help preserve battery life and keep the temperature down.

    Thanks!
    So you're turning your phone into a RAZR by turning off data?
    Live free or DIE!
  2. #82  
    As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I tried the F104 Kernel with Govnah and it kept locking up my phone. So, I loaded F102 and have been relatively happy. But, (seemingly) all of a sudden my Pre is running slower. So, I loaded Govnah for the graphing and realized that, none of the profile options allow my phone to go above 600Mhz. If F102 is actually screenstate 500/800, shouldn't I be able to pick fixed 720 or 800 or screenstate 500/800 as an option? It also shows my speed as 500MHz with the screen on. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

    Thanks!
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I tried the F104 Kernel with Govnah and it kept locking up my phone. So, I loaded F102 and have been relatively happy. But, (seemingly) all of a sudden my Pre is running slower. So, I loaded Govnah for the graphing and realized that, none of the profile options allow my phone to go above 600Mhz. If F102 is actually screenstate 500/800, shouldn't I be able to pick fixed 720 or 800 or screenstate 500/800 as an option? It also shows my speed as 500MHz with the screen on. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

    Thanks!
    I don't have any suggestions for you, but I can tell you that you cannot change anything with F102. It is fixed at 500/800 screenstate. Other users were having a similar problem to yours and theirs were being caused by the brightness unlinked patch having the setting too low with the TS.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I tried the F104 Kernel with Govnah and it kept locking up my phone. So, I loaded F102 and have been relatively happy. But, (seemingly) all of a sudden my Pre is running slower. So, I loaded Govnah for the graphing and realized that, none of the profile options allow my phone to go above 600Mhz. If F102 is actually screenstate 500/800, shouldn't I be able to pick fixed 720 or 800 or screenstate 500/800 as an option? It also shows my speed as 500MHz with the screen on. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

    Thanks!
    What version of what tool are you using to install the kernel?

    What does 'cat /proc/version' say?

    -- Rod
  5. #85  
    I used the latest version of quick install to install F102.

    According to Preware, it's installed. But, when I run cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state, it shows 600Mhz as the max capacity of the device, so something's not right.

    'cat /proc/version' says Linux Version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3420 (gcc version 4.2.1)


    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What version of what tool are you using to install the kernel?

    What does 'cat /proc/version' say?

    -- Rod
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  6. #86  
    I am using the Dagger Kernal and just noticed in Preware I have the CPU Scaler Ultimate Scaler service listed under installed services. I had previously used the CPU Scaler but removed the program when I went to Govnah and UK. Now I just have dagger. Should I remove this service? I do get periodic, odd slowdowns. Maybe it is interferin? Or should it be there? Thanks.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I used the latest version of quick install to install F102.

    According to Preware, it's installed. But, when I run cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state, it shows 600Mhz as the max capacity of the device, so something's not right.

    'cat /proc/version' says Linux Version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3420 (gcc version 4.2.1)
    Never mind... I unloaded and reloaded and it's fine. I loaded the terminal app so I can keep an I on my speeds.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  8. #88  
    This may seem like an odd question, but does the phone actually use processing power once the app is open?

    I understand the concept with the F102 that the Pre runs at 800Mhz when the screen is on and 500Mhz when it is turned off, but the "rush to idle" concept is still in effect, right? When the screen is on, it's not at a constant state of 800Mhz, nor is it in a constant state of 500Mhz when the screen is off. Only when running a job and only until that job is finished.

    I understand (and correct me if I am wrong) that there are certain things that are not processor intensive or do not require the processor's attention at all. Is act of the screen being on, one of those things? If I am just sitting and reading the Evo vs Pre review, am I burning away at 800 Mhz for however long the screen is on and I am reading?

    How about the phone (as mentioned above)? I understand the act of talking on the phone is battery intensive (running, unknowingly, at a max of 600Mhz, and topping off at 550Mhz, I put a dent in my battery in less than an hour of talk time), but is it processor intensive, and therefore even MORE battery intensive?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I used the latest version of quick install to install F102.

    According to Preware, it's installed. But, when I run cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state, it shows 600Mhz as the max capacity of the device, so something's not right.

    'cat /proc/version' says Linux Version 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3420 (gcc version 4.2.1)
    cat /proc/version says a whole lot more than that. And you've left the important part of the single line that it prints out of your post.

    Come on guys, you are alpha testers are you are expected to do better than that. Don't leave out information when you're reporting issues.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I am using the Dagger Kernal and just noticed in Preware I have the CPU Scaler Ultimate Scaler service listed under installed services. I had previously used the CPU Scaler but removed the program when I went to Govnah and UK. Now I just have dagger. Should I remove this service? I do get periodic, odd slowdowns. Maybe it is interferin? Or should it be there? Thanks.
    It should not be there. You didn't remove CPU Scaler correctly.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #91  
    since running f104 for a couple of days, i have noticed it is much slower than the uber kernel. both set at 800 min and max.... the tmc error tho did go away with the f104 installed... i never have had a problem with the tmc error unless trying to open the big games, so i have switched back to the uberkernel. i am too addicted to the speed
  12. #92  
    Thanks, Rod. I thought so--I probably removed the original app but didn't realize the service was there separately. I removed the service using Preware and then restarted the device. Should I be set now? Or do I need to de and re install the F102 kernel?
  13. #93  
    hi guys,
    have been reading through old threads etc for ages and i want to go to bed now so I'm gonna give up and ask! could someone please pm me or just explain to me the details of how to fix the 600 club issue? sorry to ask newbie questions but it would help me out a huge amount.
    thanks in advance!
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph1471 View Post
    hi guys,
    have been reading through old threads etc for ages and i want to go to bed now so I'm gonna give up and ask! could someone please pm me or just explain to me the details of how to fix the 600 club issue? sorry to ask newbie questions but it would help me out a huge amount.
    thanks in advance!
    WebOS Doctor.

    -- Rod
  15. #95  
    How many days should one use a particular overclocking solution, at their regular rate of usage, before it levels off and they can be sure they know what to expect consistently at that usage rate?

    I am, as previously mentioned, running the F102 kernel. Today, I took the phone of the charger around 8:30am. I have had some light to moderate use, mostly a few phone calls (maybe 3 with 2 being under a minute and one being around 20), a few texts, a few email checks throughout the day, a quick check for a solution on Preware, and about 10 minutes of web use (because it was too slow and took too long to get connected) and a couple adjustments to the calendar. It's now, 8:40pm and I have 33% of my battery left. I will also point out that MOST of the day, I have turned data off (using Quick System Tasks) unless I am actually using it. This is to help preserve power and keep temperature down.

    During the 10 minutes of web surfing, my phone kept flipping between Evdo and 1x, so I had trouble looking up what I needed (just a couple phone numbers on Google). So, I started up WiFi, which only seemed to make things worse. I also noticed my phone got very hot, and hit 42%, which it hasn't for some time (peak is usually 36-38%).

    I am not sure this is the best overclocking experience I have had, but I want to give it more of a chance. I'm pretty sure that was with the 800Mhz, .sh kernel, with second being Uber/Govnah, running Performance fixed at 720Mhz. But, I like the simplicity of F102. I may try F104 and fix Govnah at 720Mhz like I have in the past with Uber. But, again, how long is best to give something a fair shake?

    Also, does anyone notice a temperature and battery life improvement with F102, by keeping data off until needed? I fear my ability to get 12 hours of light work out of my phone is dependent upon using every energy saving trick I can muster (brightness off, data/gps/Wifi off).

    Thanks!

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    How many days should one use a particular overclocking solution, at their regular rate of usage, before it levels off and they can be sure they know what to expect consistently at that usage rate?
    Apart from battery calibration effects, I'm not aware of any code in any of the overlocking solutions which changes it's behaviour over time.

    In my opinion (and it's my personal opinion only), all previous statements from others about needing to let things "settle" for some period of time are not able to be supported with technical facts.

    Once you reboot the device (to reset any parameters in memory), the kernel operates the same way every time when provided with the same input stimulus.

    The most likely thing to change the battery usage is how hard the phone radio is needing to work to talk to the tower. And this is affected by such random things as interference from overclocking frequencies themselves, and the number of other cellular users in the same area (which will probably change depending on which day of the week it is). If your phone is flipping between Evdo and 1x, or flipping between talking to two different towers, then that is going to kill your battery quick smart.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    WebOS Doctor.

    -- Rod
    thanks for your reply, but doesnt that just reset your phone to factory settings? how do i know it wont just happen again?
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph1471 View Post
    thanks for your reply, but doesnt that just reset your phone to factory settings? how do i know it wont just happen again?
    Your use of the term "600 club" indicates you're using an obsolete broken kernel package distributed by the SPK author against the wishes of the actual kernel code developer (unixPsycho).

    When you stop using that, visit the webOS Doctor, and then instead use a correctly-packaged OTA-safe kernel (such as the F102A, F104A or UberKernel packages available in Preware), then you should not experience such problems any more.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Your use of the term "600 club" indicates you're using an obsolete broken kernel package distributed by the SPK author against the wishes of the actual kernel code developer (unixPsycho).

    When you stop using that, visit the webOS Doctor, and then instead use a correctly-packaged OTA-safe kernel (such as the F102A, F104A or UberKernel packages available in Preware), then you should not experience such problems any more.

    -- Rod
    ok, thanks very much for your help, ill give this a go later on when im back at home. I just used the first instructions which came up on google. Even with just the extra 100 mhz the phone is running better.
  20. #100  
    Right, Ive done what you said and have installed UberKernal and Govnah. The difference is amazing! thanks to everyone involved who might read this and especially rwhitby for making things clearer for me. It has made the difference between my phone being unacceptably slow and super quick. cheers!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions