Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Yeah...mine didnt charge too. I just restarted the Pre and then it powered back on. Im going to contact hardbeatz about that kernel and then send the link via Palm feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Compcache also make the device run smoother
    My experience with this is that it makes my device run less smooth. Swiping up to get the launcher seems more staccato. And scrolling around on things like TweetMe, twitter & browsers seems much less smooth to me, too.

Of course, I came from using UberKernal w/screenstate 500/800 settings. If I were comparing to a stock kernel, then maybe it'd feel smoother because F102 would be running at 800MHz vs stock 500MHz.

All that said, it's a pretty nice improvement to avoid TMC errors. It just comes with a tradeoff: the cpu has to compress/decompress all memory operations. Which is going to slow down memory reads/writes. Combined with MHz increase, it may not be a big deal. But having been accustomed to the UberKernel's faster speed, this one seems less smooth to me.

$0.02.

Still using it in order to avoid TMC. But just saying that there's a tradeoff.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    My experience with this is that it makes my device run less smooth. Swiping up to get the launcher seems more staccato. And scrolling around on things like TweetMe, twitter & browsers seems much less smooth to me, too.

Of course, I came from using UberKernal w/screenstate 500/800 settings. If I were comparing to a stock kernel, then maybe it'd feel smoother because F102 would be running at 800MHz vs stock 500MHz.

All that said, it's a pretty nice improvement to avoid TMC errors. It just comes with a tradeoff: the cpu has to compress/decompress all memory operations. Which is going to slow down memory reads/writes. Combined with MHz increase, it may not be a big deal. But having been accustomed to the UberKernel's faster speed, this one seems less smooth to me.

$0.02.

Still using it in order to avoid TMC. But just saying that there's a tradeoff.
    I was hoping it can be instituted into govnah.
    @mu7fcer

It isn't that the device is less smooth, but that it is more responsive when overclocked. It scrolls slower when running at 500 and therefore appears smoother. The 800 is able to respond to your scrolling much more quickly. Try longer swipes for a more fluid scrolling experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Compcache
    What DOES that mean? Isn't Compache just a word?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    So, are you running F102 or F104 and why? I installed F104 and I'm not sure about it yet. First my Pre locked up with the screen off, as soon as I took it off the desktop. I rebooted it, and it came up to the desktop, but none of the icons worked, so I rebooted again. Then I went to Preware to get Govnah and it took 3-4 reboots before I could get Govnah installed. I then set it to Performance 720/720 and everything leveled out, speeds went back to where they were when I was using UberKernal, and temps stayed at or below 32degrees. Later this evening, I tried to go on eBay to check some messages, and I lost my internet connection, even though it still seemed to be there. I also activated WiFi and it still said I didn't have an internet connection. Eventually, the phone locked up on the browser, and I had to pull the battery. I have also had several spontaneous lockups on the desktop.

I actually had great luck in terms of low heat, fast performance and long battery live, way back with the first 800Mhz sh file. But, I admit, I like the control provided by Govnah and CPU Scaler (speaking of which, anyone using that with this Kernal?).

Can I expect that same combo of speed, low heat and battery life if I switch to F102? Will that help avoid lockups?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/14/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Idk I came from the original 720.sh, and my battery life seems to have taken a dive, but who knows, it may smooth itself out in a few days. It doesn't seem to have as many glitches, and have not had a random reset yet.
    Just had yet another lock up on the desktop. Went to Preware and locked up again. Gonna switch to F102 and see if my luck improves.

I'm on a crappy refurb right now anyway. My brand new Pre, complaints of Sprint, will be here tomorrow, so I thought I would get a feel for F102/104 on a device that is expendable.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Just had yet another lock up on the desktop. Went to Preware and locked up again. Gonna switch to F102 and see if my luck improves.

I'm on a crappy refurb right now anyway. My brand new Pre, complaints of Sprint, will be here tomorrow, so I thought I would get a feel for F102/104 on a device that is expendable.
    your Pre probably cant handle the low MHz speeds. hence why F102 Delta Dagger was created.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustano View Post
    It isn't that the device is less smooth, but that it is more responsive when overclocked. It scrolls slower when running at 500 and therefore appears smoother. The 800 is able to respond to your scrolling much more quickly. Try longer swipes for a more fluid scrolling experience.
    I wasn't comparing 500MHz stock to 800MHz compcache. I was comparing 800MHz UberKernel to 800MHz compcache. And IMHO, 800 MHz compcache is much more staccato than 800 MHz UberKernel. Not a bad tradeoff for never having to see TMC again. But it is a tradeoff.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I am trying to install F102 and I keep getting the following:

ERROR: An error has occurred while attempting to install com.unipsycho.kernel_F102_armv7.ipk

Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=com.unipsycho.kernel (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    An error ocurred. return value 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package com.unipsycho.kernel.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'

-----------------------------------------------------

I checked to make sure that the complete file size (1.9mg) made it down and it did. But, I get this each time. I also check, when it finishes, and find there are no patches loaded.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    your Pre probably cant handle the low MHz speeds. hence why F102 Delta Dagger was created.
    But, I'm running at 720 fixed. Does this still make a difference? I ended up having to Doctor the phone because it went into a near constant state of lockup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I was hoping it can be instituted into govnah.
    A lot of people don't realise that Marco (uNiXpSyChO) is a core developer on the WebOS Internals team, and that the F102 and F104 kernels and the UberKernel are just different points along the same timeline of experimentation, stabilisation, and release to mainstream of different kernel features such as overclocking, memory management and battery life.

Marco and I continually find it very amusing that people here in PreCentral seem to always want to put these kernels in some sort of competition, without actually realising that it's the same team that is creating all of them

BTW, UberKernel 1.4.x-37 and Govnah 0.4.3 (both in alpha testing) now have compcache kernel module support. Note that there are still some differences from what you will experience from F102 or F104, cause Marco and I have not yet worked out how to still keep the TMC errors when both your memory *and* your compcache swap space fills up (at which point F102 and F104 will currently hard crash your kernel). We want to make UberKernel give one last final TMC error at that point so you know you are *really* at the limit and that opening one more card will crash your device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Do I need, or should I be using, Govnah, with F102? I loaded the temp warning software and the temp gauge next to the battery level.

Also, interestingly enough, the crappy phone I was testing this out on, turned out to be a hardware Version A (this means new right?). It hosed completely under F104, as I mentioned and had to be doctored. I then tried to load F102 on the clean device, and got an error (mentioned in a previous post). When I activated the replacement phone, F102 went on right away, no errors, no difference in how I did things, and seems to be running just fine.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/16/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Also, interestingly enough, the crappy phone I was testing this out on, turned out to have to be a hardware Version A (this means new right?). It hosed completely under F104, as I mentioned and had to be doctored. I then tried to load F102 on the clean device, and got an error (mentioned in a previous post). When I activated the replacement phone, F102 went on right away, no errors, no difference in how I did things, and seems to be running just fine.
    Yeah, people seem to have this funny idea that different phones will work identically when they are operated outside of their guaranteed specification limits. The opposite is actually true.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, people seem to have this funny idea that different phones will work identically when they are operated outside of their guaranteed specification limits. The opposite is actually true.

-- Rod
    My hope was to take risks with the phone I didn't plan to keep. But, I understand that manufacturing to within a range of tolerance means performance can vary.

Does this mean it's worth trying the F104 version on the NEW Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I installed the F102 kernel yesterday and I am not getting ANY too many cards open errors. I was getting them without any cards open (I have several apps that run periodically and update stats e.g. weather icon, wallpaper switcher etc.).

I was able to run and play several PDK games WITHOUT having to restart the phone a single time. Battery life seems to be great as well.

It defaults to 800/500 screenstate profile and 800MHZ with this kernel feels a lot snappier than uberkernel that I was using previously. I am not getting any checkerboards in the browser either.

This feels like the Phone I had hoped PRE was and hoping that with all the enhancements for GPU acceleration it will be even faster after the next update.

I think this deserved its own thread as a lot of people who have used it have already thanked the creator in the main thread. However, I would not have seen it had it not been on webOSroundup.

AS always overclocking runs the risk of voiding your warranty. You can however use the F104 kernel and underclock using Govnah i.e. 250/500 or 250/600. The enhancements in this kernel related to memory are worth getting this kernel.

Link to the Kernel Thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...erimental.html
    I followed the link to the Kernel Thread, but it didn't say how to install 102 or 104. Do you use Preware or WOSQI?
    just to reclarify... I don't need Govnah with the F102?
    just to reclarify... I don't need Govnah with the F102?
    Nope. F102 is barebones. Govnah will only give you graphing data....or if you wanted to set a different max speed.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Nope. F102 is barebones. Govnah will only give you graphing data....or if you wanted to set a different max speed.
    Excellent, thanks. I might try F104 later, but right now F102 seems to be running just fine and I'm enjoying the speed decent battery life (going on about 11 or 12 hours and I'm still at 48%), and low temperatures. One thing I am doing is turning off my data when not in use, to help preserve battery life and keep the temperature down.

Thanks!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast