1.    #1  
    A new guy started at my work last week, he has an iPhone. I received a text so I pulled out my phone (pre) to reply, all of a sudden I hear "holy s*** thats a nice phone man what kind is that?" to which I replied....are you serious?

The guy has never even seen the phone before, I find that inexcusable and just wanted to share.
    I have experienced this many a time.

It saddens me.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    I get that all the time w/ my pre... it's a little too late though down the product line to worry about marketing though so i see why they aren't spending all that money now... When next device hits maybe they need to look into better marketing...

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    It happens to me few times. But one time I went out and couple of co workers asked me to show them my Pre Plus and show that how the multitask works. So I proudly took out my Pre Plus and tried to show some of the feature this phone has, and it just crashes and rebooted. And it took just too ******* long to reboot, they all lost an interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    It happens to me few times. But one time I went out and couple of co workers asked me to show them my Pre Plus and show that how the multitask works. So I proudly took out my Pre Plus and tried to show some of the feature this phone has, and it just crashes and rebooted. And it took just too ******* long to reboot, they all lost an interest.
    wow..... that sucks lmao what are the odds.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    wow..... that sucks lmao what are the odds.
    I am not kidding. Matter of fact, last weekend, I had a poker night at my friend's place. 4 of them have Iphone. One has Nexus One, he works for google got it for free on his x-mas company party, and my Pre Plus. They asked me about my Pre since they never seen one in person. They all play it around and they all agreed it's pretty cool device. So I wanted to show them the Mobile Hotspot. And I open the hotspot program and guess what? I got the warning message saying my service is not activated or something. DAMN!!!!! I used that hotspot all the time, and one time that I wanted to show all my friends how cool it is and it doesn't work right in front of them. They all laughed like crazy and each one of them made some kind of jokes regarding Palm and Pre. I couldn't defend it.
    BTW, I came home around 2am and I search the error message here and figured out how to fix it. Some how hotspot profile got corrupted or something. I have to redo the setup. I had no idea and I was stunned and freaking out. It's shame!
    For a company that was desperately trying to position themself for a huge comeback and had developed an incredible device to be the center piece of their revival, I am just mystified at how they could have dropped the ball SO badly on marketing. Once it was announced, the Pre received overwhelmingly glowing reviews across the spectrum of techie magazines etc. However, unless you're given to getting online and tracking that information down, you'd have never known about it. Palm did NOTHING to let the general public know about this great device they had developed that was getting such rave reviews. I remember watching the video online when it was first unveiled at CES. People LOVED the device and what it could do. There was lots of ooohing and aaaahing, lots of applause. And the ensuing reviews gave it pretty much high marks across the board. Apple would have generated MONTHS of anticipation leading up to the announcement and then would have marketed the H*LL out of it afterward. The only reason I even knew about the Pre is b/c I was a Sprint customer at the time and got a little pamphlet in the mail that had a blurb in it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known and wouldn't have known to look for it. The average, non-Sprint customer didn't have a clue the Pre was coming, had no idea that it was announced, was unaware that it was released, and many still haven't the foggiest idea that it exists. This would be understandable for a phone that got BAD reviews, but the Pre got GREAT reviews and was received incredibly well by the tech community.

Another way Palm screwed up was by releasing their phone so close to Apple's unveiling of the new iPhone. While the new iPhone didn't turn out to be a big deal, the way that Apple is able to generate anticipation and excitement over their devices completely sucked the wind out of the Pre's release.

I have to imagine if I were a business professor in school, I would use the release of the Palm Pre as an absolutely prime example of how poor marketing can kill a great product.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    LOL....similar thing happened to me i was trying to show the earthworm jim game to a coworker and the dreaded "too many cards" error started to pop i kept on hitting the OK button repeated it 3-4 times and it worked
    phew..saved me from embarrassment....
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have seen some of Palm's billboards with the lovely color scheme of BROWN. They are small and impossible to read. Really a missed opportunity.
    Face it, Palm Pres are novelty items, no one know it exists.

I all but gave up on trying to show it to friends, though. All too often it just freezes and reboots in front of a friend. Curious thing is that during normal use the Pre doesn't freeze as oftern
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    For a company that was desperately trying to position themself for a huge comeback and had developed an incredible device to be the center piece of their revival, I am just mystified at how they could have dropped the ball SO badly on marketing. Once it was announced, the Pre received overwhelmingly glowing reviews across the spectrum of techie magazines etc. However, unless you're given to getting online and tracking that information down, you'd have never known about it. Palm did NOTHING to let the general public know about this great device they had developed that was getting such rave reviews. I remember watching the video online when it was first unveiled at CES. People LOVED the device and what it could do. There was lots of ooohing and aaaahing, lots of applause. And the ensuing reviews gave it pretty much high marks across the board. Apple would have generated MONTHS of anticipation leading up to the announcement and then would have marketed the H*LL out of it afterward. The only reason I even knew about the Pre is b/c I was a Sprint customer at the time and got a little pamphlet in the mail that had a blurb in it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known and wouldn't have known to look for it. The average, non-Sprint customer didn't have a clue the Pre was coming, had no idea that it was announced, was unaware that it was released, and many still haven't the foggiest idea that it exists. This would be understandable for a phone that got BAD reviews, but the Pre got GREAT reviews and was received incredibly well by the tech community.

Another way Palm screwed up was by releasing their phone so close to Apple's unveiling of the new iPhone. While the new iPhone didn't turn out to be a big deal, the way that Apple is able to generate anticipation and excitement over their devices completely sucked the wind out of the Pre's release.

I have to imagine if I were a business professor in school, I would use the release of the Palm Pre as an absolutely prime example of how poor marketing can kill a great product.
    Yes, its quite a mystery why they decided to team up with just a few operators.

Like O2 in Europe for example who only is available in a few countries out of the 27 that are within the European Union.

We can only speculate but I think Palm displayed their product for other carriers but they decided not to carry the product due to the infancy of the current webOS version. Had it had the functions of 1.4 it would probably have been a different story, or? We have remember that Android wasnt that big back then so had the Pre launched world wide or to more countries perphaps it would have gone better than it did.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/10/2010 at 11:22 AM.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    PALM is scared of being compared with the iPhone.
    The article here about the Pre hits and misses in the past year describes their marketing problems perfectly, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Two random stories:

A friend of mine just reached new phone eligibility on Verizon last weekend and he got Pres for both him and his wife because he's seen mine and knew how much I liked it. It's their first smartphone and so far they're really likeing it. He did complain about battery life. I told him yeah it kinda sucks, but any smartphone is going to be worse than a dumbphone.

Another friend of mine is a supervisor at a Verizon store and he had a Pixi until he upgraded to the HTC Incredible. He said he loved webOS but most of the workers in the store hated the Pre and Pixi and always pushed the Droid on people. A few times he'd intervene and show the customer the Palms and sometimes they would choose them. He said the biggest complaint he'd hear is that people said their old Palm phones had terrible reception and they were afraid the new ones would too.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Honestly, the marketing is not the only bad thing about this phone. As an idea, this phone is fantastic. It works well, is very easy to use, and I like the look/design as well as WebOS. But what passlogix and darkzone described happens all too often. My particular phone has had multiple issues that are fixed very easily, but were very frustrating at the time. Putting a wedge between the battery and top of battery compartment is easy and completely solves the problem of the screen-fail, but it's still really annoying that you have to do that period. Every few days, WebOS crashes - not completely as I first thought, though. The phone becomes non-responsive to opening the screen/pressing the power button until... it feels like being responsive. About a month ago, if my phone didn't respond for a minute, I [reasonably] pulled the battery to restart it. Now I realize that every time that happens I just need to wait for the stupid OS to finish whatever it's doing. The other issue I experienced was when the phone got stuck in headset mode.

Considering the fact that I got this phone, brand new, about 2 months ago - this is extremely disappointing. In spite of all the good of this phone (its features are fantastic) these issues would definitely prevent me from recommending this phone to anyone. This is unfortunate because it had so much potential.

That said, I don't think that Palm's horrid marketing is the worst thing about this phone. I think that these widespread, unacceptable issues are the worst. And no, I don't think that even requiring one replacement unit is acceptable, and I have heard horror stories that people have needed 4-5 replacements. Really? I don't know anyone who has had to replace their iPhone 3G or 3GS - sure, the argument can be made that 1st Gen devices have issues, but I don't really think that's an argument against the iPhone. Almost every day in these forums you see an issue someone's having with their phone like... phone not ringing, can't hear anything in the earpiece, phone freezes, etc.

In short, the pre is not only an example of bad marketing but a very clear example of poor engineering and quality control, and has clearly suffered from a lack of lab and field testing.