1.    #1  
    Hi, first time post but have been reading the posts for a few weeks.

Basically I have just purchased a Pre Plus in America on AT&T and would like to know what steps I need to go through to get it working here in the UK.

I am on T-Mobile and read that they work for voice, activation and data so do I need to just worry about unlocking it or do I need to get around activation as well?

The pre plus I have got is BNIB so it wouldnt have been activated in the states.

Cheers

edit: I realise that I wont get 3G here due to different bands but that doesnt bother me too much at all.
    Last edited by ldodd; 06/10/2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence
    Take a look at http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html
    Since you won't have 3g you will need to bypass the first use so that you can set up your palm profile through wifi.
    Since you are in the uk you will have access to the uk app store.
  3.    #3  
    I've not actually got it yet as its on its way from the US but its been described as new in sealed box.

Would it be easier if I just got a payg free O2 sim to do the activating (if I can go it over g) and then unlock it and put my T-mobile sim in?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Three issues:
    - He could activate via G right?
    - Never heard of any UK user activate for the first time in the UK using another network that o2. Hope that won't be a problem in accessing the AppCat.

ldodd:
    If you see 2000+ apps and the US/Canada/Mexico are your payment options, it's not BNIB, and someone has activated the phone for the very first time in the US.
    No I'm pretty sure it has got to be 3g. If your in a small town without 3g you need to go to somewhere with 3g to activate, g and edge fail when you try.
    Somebody posted about having a o2 pre on the vodafone network in uk, I know they got data and things working but didn't ask about app cat.
    Tomi is def right on the last one.
  5.    #5  
    From the O2 pre + international networks I read

UK:

Provider: T-Mobile UK
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (MMS unconfirmed) (thanks happymore!)

I just assumed the same would apply to an AT&T Pre plus?

Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    No I'm pretty sure it has got to be 3g. If your in a small town without 3g you need to go to somewhere with 3g to activate, g and edge fail when you try.
    Somebody posted about having a o2 pre on the vodafone network in uk, I know they got data and things working but didn't ask about app cat.
    Can I not connect to a wifi access point before activating?
    Quote Originally Posted by ldodd View Post
    From the O2 pre + international networks I read

UK:

Provider: T-Mobile UK
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (MMS unconfirmed) (thanks happymore!)

I just assumed the same would apply to an AT&T Pre plus?

Can I not connect to a wifi access point before activating?
    You would not be able to use a o2 sim because the pre is locked to A&T. How are you unlocking the phone to use on T-Mobile or is it coming unlocked?
    No you can not use wifi to set up your profile, it must be 3g unless you use the meta-doctor. (can you clarify this tomi)
  7.    #7  
    Sorry yeah ignore that bit then

I was planning on using this Palm Pre & Palm Pre Plus Unlock, Unlock Palm Pre & Pre Plus Network & SIM locks - Palm Pre Deblocage to unlock it.

So I would use meta-doctor to bypass the first run thing, set up wifi and then set up my profile?
    Hmm. Clarify what?
    That to be able to create a profile through wifi you need to use the meta doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Oooooooooops, that'll be me using a O2 pre on vodafone.

Everything is just working fine now. It was a UK O2 locked phone as received and didn't need activation or anything like that. I was able to use my O2 SIM in straight away. I unlocked the phone via nextgen and it works with voda then. Then set up the APN via phone-references and it's done!

Oh yes I had to update to 1.4.1 before I was able to unlock it.

Add: someone just mentioned creating profile. If that is the activation procedure then yes you'll need 3G... I didn't realise that until I found 0.85 data charge on my bill.....
  10.    #10  
    Hmm. Clarify what?

Guess you need to
    1. install meta-doctored firmware
    2. unlock using nextgenserver unlock client
    3. pop in your SIM to activate via data connection or activate via WiFi

Don't think you need a SIM if you activate using metadoctor fw. Not sure though, haven't done it in a while.
    That's what i seemed to have worked out. Sounds simple enough just gotta work out metadoctor business.
    Hey, that's interesting. Why was that?
    Well, I got "data collection error" message during the unlocking
    Novacom and diag drivers were both on, and phone was in developer mode so the only possible reason should be "USB passthrough process did not start" according to the instruction. And the suggestion on it was to upgrade phone's firmware.....So I did
  12.    #12  
    I take it I use the ATT Pre Plus rom for meta doctor? As I only wanna bypass the first run I just uncomment the first run part in the file correct?
    Hmmm, less drastic option (in Windows XP) is to just right click the different drivers and select Install, just to kick them in (at least that's what I just did).
    (Putting the Pre in diag mode manually also works. But that's another story.)
    Haha, I like drastic options, simple!
    btw: my antivirus keeps deleting my nova driver!! why!!
    I was using NOD32, and in the end I had to uninstall it first to get the unlocking go,
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    you can activate over gprs, you dont need 3g. I dont have a 3g signal in my area and ive never had problems except it used to take forever to load all the apps before you could use the phone ( a feature they thankfully did away with )
  15.    #15  
    Ah OK, that sounds good then, so I just need to unlock it and whack my sim in and it should work then?

Thanks for all the help
  16.    #16  
    I thought I wouldn't need to get past the first use screen if I can use just g to set up my palm profile and activate the phone? Or does more happen in the first use screen.

(I'm assuming I can unlock my phone before like setting the phone up with a profile and things?)
  17.    #17  
    Oh Ok so when I get my phone I have to

charge -> apply metadoctor with disabled first run -> unlock -> set up profile and activate?

can I not unlock before and then just do the set up and activation with my t-mobile sim or am I misunderstanding what you mean by invalid SIM, I'm assuming that after unlock I will have a valid one?
  18.    #18  
    OK thanks for the run through, I was going to the use the data settings from this site unless they are wrong are the proper ones are provided somewhere else?

Mobile Data Settings - What Mobile
    At lease vodafone settings are correct!
    any idea if the at&t pre plus will work on 3UK ? what are 3UK bandwidths?