Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    When you hit that first letter, the launcher makes a rapid appearance then gives way to the search field and whatever hits you may have.

I realize that U search is probably just a function off the Launcher app, but why tax the CPU any more than you have to, especially since that lazy bum of a GPU is just slumming around doing nothing?

If I hit the second letter too quickly, I lose my first. Why?
    What? The is exactly universal search. oi don't understand what you're saying?

Mine seems to be able to recognise two letters typed really fast, might because I'm slow though.
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    When you hit that first letter, the launcher makes a rapid appearance then gives way to the search field and whatever hits you may have.

I realize that U search is probably just a function off the Launcher app, but why tax the CPU any more than you have to, especially since that lazy bum of a GPU is just slumming around doing nothing?

If I hit the second letter too quickly, I lose my first. Why?
    I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like you're assuming that Universal Search only searches contacts when, in fact, it searches apps as well as your contacts. As such, when you first begin typing, the phone should display a list of all apps AND contacts that begin with that letter. Does that answer your question?
    I could not figure out what you were talking about until I tried it.

The reason I believe the Launcher is showing up for you, it that the first letter is part of an app that you have on the phone.

Remember, you are typing in the Universal Search, that search will also search out the apps on your phone so you can quickly find an app and launch it.

So if you type 'a' you will get 'App Catalog' or any other app that you have that starts with 'a'.

Have I answered your question?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I understand what you're saying. When you do a universal search press one letter, and the launcher pops up, then quickly disappears. It's really fast.

And btw OP thanks for making me notice this, it will now bother me >=|
    Welcome to our world, we are the wasted youth, and we are the future too.
    http://diegoeatspandas.tumblr.com/ <--Tumblr<3 Follow.
    Ahh, I never noticed that before!

I think it's just a quirk of the way Universal Search was done. There's no "Universal Search" process; it seems that performing a Universal Search is part of the Launcher's functions. So, you start typing and the Launcher does open because it houses the search feature, but it quickly removes icons and places a text field with what you type in it for the user to use the search feature. I think if Palm had done a Universal Search process standalone you wouldn't see this happen, but it would be an additional service placed on the phone. That's my take on it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    Ahh, I never noticed that before!

I think it's just a quirk of the way Universal Search was done. There's no "Universal Search" process; it seems that performing a Universal Search is part of the Launcher's functions. So, you start typing and the Launcher does open because it houses the search feature, but it quickly removes icons and places a text field with what you type in it for the user to use the search feature. I think if Palm had done a Universal Search process standalone you wouldn't see this happen, but it would be an additional service placed on the phone. That's my take on it anyway.
    I don't think it's built into the launcher, the launcher is a way for you to get to the apps. So when you type that first letter and you don't have an app that even begins with the letter you are trying, it's probably just checking in the Launcher real fast to see if an app is available with that first letter you are typing in, if not then you get the line to continue typing in a that seach field.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Logically, that sort of checking can be done without the Launcher getting its panties in a bunch, no?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    US is a function of Launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    US is a function of Launcher.

This.

The launcher acts as a text field, just try to open the virtual keyboard. It opens, why? because the launcher is not only a launcher but a text field that works with Universal Search.