View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Lite multitask that save battery or True multitask that drains it

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lite Multitasking phone no option to swap battery

9 13.24%
  • True Multitasking phone drains battery faster, has option to upgrade\carry add. to swap

59 86.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im curious. In the almost year I have been on this site... I have heard a lot of complaints about Battery life on Pre. My question is.... What would you rather have, a phone with true multitasking capabilities that if you use it heavy, it will drain fast - or..... a phone with multitasking lite... which saves your battery, but you never get to truly multitask...?
    true multitasking phone is easy to charge at work, home or in car en route to both. It allows you to buy a bigger battery or just carry an extra for the times you happen to leave civilization... and your car charger... and need to pop in your extra battery.
    Multitasking lite phone saves battery life... but when its dead, and you are away from a charging source.. its dead. no swapping batteries, and no true multi tasking.
    So whats it going to be for you? True multitasking phone that drains faster, but has bigger battery options and swappable battery capabilities.... or multitasking lite that saves battery , but battery is unswappable ?
    Lots of complaining going on for over a year... lets hear what Webos users really want.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    So basically your asking would I want a Pre or an iFone?
    True (WebOS) multitasking all the way!
    Not even the Evo handles MT as nice as the Pre.
    Poor battery life is just the trade off I accepted long ago.
    When I (finally) got a Touchstone it really hasn't been an issue just being able to 'drop and charge' through out the day.. .
    i go with full multitasking, i have a touchstone in my car, plus i have an extra seidio battery in my pocket and my gf has a pre at her house too so if i need to charge i got her cable too, so i'd rather have my pre for TRUE MT!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I still don't exactly understand the services apple speaks of. If I open an app that records my engine status for example using bluetooth to conect to odbII port and then run pandora or gps, will it still log my engine messages or will the program pause? bluetooth will still comm with the program as a service but can the prog actively log? I don't think the devs even know.
    I like True multitasking. I still get 10-15 hours on my Pre anyways, even overclocked.
    True (Full) multitasking. I want options. If I want to extend battery life, I can do less multitasking or add a bigger (or second) battery.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I guess I want full multitasking, but I think it's more like degrees of lite-ness. At any rate, I don't agree that there is necessarily a battery life trade-off between the two, unless apps in the background on a full multitasking system are consuming a lot of cycles, which they certainly might not be doing. In other words, I don't think full multitasking is really responsible for the Pre's current battery life, unless you're running a problem app.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't believe that battery life is necessarily affected that much by multitasking. Most apps that are in the background probably aren't very "active" and don't use much power (unless they are constantly doing net or other radio access). But, highly dependent on exactly what apps you're using.

The more relevant problem with multitasking IMO is performance. I suspect it's one of the major reasons that webOS seems "laggy" at times. And for me, I chose multitasking over performance.
    I really don't think the "lite-multitasking" is multitasking at all, it just saves the state of running apps. It's essentially like saving a file, closing it, and then opening it again and calling that multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I don't believe that battery life is necessarily affected that much by multitasking. Most apps that are in the background probably aren't very "active" and don't use much power (unless they are constantly doing net or other radio access). But, highly dependent on exactly what apps you're using.

<snip/>
    I agree. Apple's services are about control, not so much about battery-life. I had an iPhone prior to my Pre. I had it jailbroken with multi-tasking enabled. I noticed little battery difference between running Pandora and checking email vs. just running Pandora.
    Explorigin Software - Home of Simple Shop, your easy, free shopping list app.
    Palm actually had a multitasking light OS. It was called Cobalt. Nobody ever used it in a production device. At the time everyone seemed to hate the concept. Now the cult of the fruit implements something similar and the world goes wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I really don't think the "lite-multitasking" is multitasking at all, it just saves the state of running apps. It's essentially like saving a file, closing it, and then opening it again and calling that multitasking.
    If what we mean by lite-multitasking is that which is implemented in iPhone OS (or iOS as it's now known) version 4, then you're not quite right. iOS allows apps to perform a few functions in the background based on some predetermined services.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    iPhone (3G/3GS) already allows you to close an app, saving the state, and return to the same place when re-opening the app. This exists in the current iphone. For example leaving the browser app, and coming back to it, doesn't require re-loading the page again. It's still there.

I assume the version of multi-tasking in the iPhone 4 keeps the app open (for the last few apps or something, right?) so it doesn't have to be re-opened.

As far as those "pre-determined" services, they are likely the ones people notice and use. So while the multi-tasking purists will cry foul, the user won't notice any crippling; just that they can bounce back and forth between apps, doing what they need to.
    One false premise of this poll is the assumption that true multi-tasking eats more power than lite multi-tasking. The real factors in this poll are automated task management vs manual task management. WebOS' task management is manual requiring the user to make all decisions regarding which programs to run or kill with the associated risk of overextending memory, the Cpu, or the battery. iOS' task management is tightly controlled, limiting the user's range of actions regarding multiple programs in an attempt to automatically manage all memory, Cpu, and battery loads. Android OS falls in between the other two by allowing full multi-tasking while memory resources are available, but it shuts down programs automatically when memory resouces get low. Like WebOS, Android OS does nothing to limit CPU or battery loads automatically.

...and the mention of battery is a red herring as indicated by Pre posters here who mention the liberal use of chargers in their daily routine.
    Considering that data usage is the primary battery drain on my Pre, I would vote for true multitasking.
    Really cannot vote in your poll because I have great battery life and also enjoy/appreciate true mutitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    One false premise of this poll is the assumption that true multi-tasking eats more power than lite multi-tasking. The real factors in this poll are automated task management vs manual task management. WebOS' task management is manual requiring the user to make all decisions regarding which programs to run or kill with the associated risk of overextending memory, the Cpu, or the battery. iOS' task management is tightly controlled, limiting the user's range of actions regarding multiple programs in an attempt to automatically manage all memory, Cpu, and battery loads. Android OS falls in between the other two by allowing full multi-tasking while memory resources are available, but it shuts down programs automatically when memory resouces get low. Like WebOS, Android OS does nothing to limit CPU or battery loads automatically.

...and the mention of battery is a red herring as indicated by Pre posters here who mention the liberal use of chargers in their daily routine.
    id rather have manual task management
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I choose full multi-tasking, because I think it's amazingly useful to see things side by side. There are so many times where I switch back and forth between open cards whilst I'm doing something.
    For example, if I'm sending an SMS with details of something or other from a webpage and I forget what I'm writing halfway through, I can just swipe between cards for a reminder, then swipe back and continue.

With something like iOS4, that's not really possible, even WITH the new lite multitasking. It's effectively closing the Messaging app, reopening the browser, closing it, then opening Messaging again. With all the clunkiness and awkwardness, you'd have forgotten what you were going to write already. The only real alternative is copy and paste.

If you have information in more than 2 cards, swiping quickly between them all to work out the connection between the information and how you're going to achieve something is made extremely easy in webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I choose full multi-tasking, because I think it's amazingly useful to see things side by side. There are so many times where I switch back and forth between open cards whilst I'm doing something.
    For example, if I'm sending an SMS with details of something or other from a webpage and I forget what I'm writing halfway through, I can just swipe between cards for a reminder, then swipe back and continue.

With something like iOS4, that's not really possible, even WITH the new lite multitasking. It's effectively closing the Messaging app, reopening the browser, closing it, then opening Messaging again. With all the clunkiness and awkwardness, you'd have forgotten what you were going to write already. The only real alternative is copy and paste.

If you have information in more than 2 cards, swiping quickly between them all to work out the connection between the information and how you're going to achieve something is made extremely easy in webOS.
    the other way of explaining it better is that webOS with cards; its showing you a "preview" of your app, not an icon. Both android and ios4 are just icons that show u ur multitasking. this is the reason y i love webOS. bc i can just go to card view and c wut i have or be in the actual app and do full swipes on the gesture area and swip back to do wut i was doing
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I like my devices unrestricted. If anything, individual developers have the OPTION of implementing Apple's notification service model if they choose so, and potentially make improvements, but not FORCED to do so by the OS.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast