Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know when, but I'm assuming that an update is coming soon. I want to be ready for it, and I might even uninstall the kernel ahead of time.

I use uber kernel with govnah. I also have preware with over 60 patches. I already uninstalled my custom theme.

I think it would be very helpful if one of the gurus would explain the process of update preparation to the masses. So what is the best process to use?
    Patches should be perfectly alright since they have AUPT technology now.

For kernels, however, I'm curious on that one as well.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    the only prep you need is to remove themes and kernels and thats it !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    the only prep you need is to remove themes and kernels and thats it !!
    I think UberKernel was believed to be OTA safe. That was the big reason they didn't add stick on reboot for so long. But at the very least if you were concerned you could set it to the Palm Default profile and reboot once before installing the update.
  5.    #5  
    But what is the best way to uninstall the kernel? Does it matter? Preware or do it from the launcher?
    just uninstall right from your phone
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    But what is the best way to uninstall the kernel? Does it matter? Preware or do it from the launcher?
    Preware absolutly, launcher delete will leave the custom kernel on the device.
    anyway see this post for details on what to do before an update

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-updates.html
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/10/2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Linkified the link
  8.    #8  
    ok, I uninstalled the kernel from the launcher, and all seems to be fine. I also did a device reset. I removed govnah too, just for good measure. Hopefully my patches will be fine. I had no problems with them last time.
    ok, I uninstalled the kernel from the launcher, and all seems to be fine. I also did a device reset. I removed govnah too, just for good measure. Hopefully my patches will be fine. I had no problems with them last time.
    Removed by launcher, does that mean a orange tap delete of the icon?
    And is a device reset a reboot or a partial a erase?
    Well I have had my patches on for the last 2 updates and mine have been great with no problems. I think I am going to take the plunge and leave uber-kernel and govnah on for the update.
    What makes you think there is any kind of update coming? I doubt Palm would do one before the merger.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    What makes you think there is any kind of update coming? I doubt Palm would do one before the merger.
    1.4.5 has been confirmed. It could be here very shortly...
    i have no problem
    PDK apps are scheduled to hit the app catalogue on July 1st according to post on precentral homepage about the next Hot Apps contest. In order for that to happen webOS firmware will be updated to new build version 1.4.5.
    I believe too, that it's coming soon! It was supposed to happen sometime in the later half of May to June.

And since most of my Apps are getting updated (have your noticed that?), I suspect it's coming by the end of June.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by mykal900 View Post
    PDK apps are scheduled to hit the app catalogue on July 1st according to post on precentral homepage about the next Hot Apps contest. In order for that to happen webOS firmware will be updated to new build version 1.4.5.
    This is exactly right. In order for them to be able to securely allow third parties to run PDK software on your Pre without opening webOS up to Viruses, PDK apps need to run in a 'sandbox' from within which they cannot screw up anything outside. Sandboxing is not currently implemented in webOS, which is why only a select few developers trusted by Palm have so far been allowed to publish PDK apps.

With the PDK Hot Apps competition starting on July 1st, the update enabling the sandboxing (probably 1.4.5 although no public announcement has been made to that) must be delivered to devices by then, so common sense would expect the update to hit in the last week of June - around the 27th to give people a couple of days to update.

Another reason why to "expect" an update: Palm have actually already given the update to developers to test their apps against and in case something's wrong, update them to be compatible with the new version, and to beta-test the new version and report possible bugs to Palm. A while ago. They had a deadline to report bugs by, which has already passed. The update is likely already handed to the carriers for inspection - in the past, carriers have reliably taken anywhere between one and three weeks to give updates their seal of approval and actually push them to devices.

So yeah, the update's coming alright.
    Dang, and I JUST installed Mobile Hotspot on my Sprint Pre. Maybe it'll be ok...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Removed by launcher, does that mean a orange tap delete of the icon?
    And is a device reset a reboot or a partial a erase?
    Well I have had my patches on for the last 2 updates and mine have been great with no problems. I think I am going to take the plunge and leave uber-kernel and govnah on for the update.
    Yes, orange tap. A device reset does not delete anything. It is the same as shutting down and removing the battery, I think.
  18.    #18  
    "Preware absolutly, launcher delete will leave the custom kernel on the device.
    anyway see this post for details on what to do before an update"

From that thread, it looks like uber kernel doesn't need to be removed at all. Sounds good.

We are getting conflicting info here. Does removing uber kernel from the launcher with orange tap do anything, or does it just remove the icon? Is the uber kernel still there?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    So, just to be clear...

Patches and pretty much everything else installed via Preware will not cause any problems. Themes, however they were installed, must be removed before an OTA update. Are those the current rules in a nutshell?
    "Preware absolutly, launcher delete will leave the custom kernel on the device.
    anyway see this post for details on what to do before an update"

From that thread, it looks like uber kernel doesn't need to be removed at all. Sounds good.

We are getting conflicting info here. Does removing uber kernel from the launcher with orange tap do anything, or does it just remove the icon? Is the uber kernel still there?
    If I understand the way the uber-kernal works:

-It is OTA compatible

If concerned about bricking your Pre etc (and maybe a PreWare guru can input on this), you need to do the following steps:

1. Delete the 'UberKernal' icon in the launcher
    2. Reboot Pre
    3. Open 'Preware'
    4. Install the 'Palm Kernal'
    5. Reboot Pre
    *6. (Optional) delete 'Govnah' but not required.

REPEAT after update to reinstall the UberKernal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast