Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0fluX View Post
    So, just to be clear...

Patches and pretty much everything else installed via Preware will not cause any problems. Themes, however they were installed, must be removed before an OTA update. Are those the current rules in a nutshell?
    Only thing left that has to be removed before OTA update is THEMES. All patches are OTa compatible now, and worked fine for me on the last update. The Uberkernal should be OTA compatible, this update coming up will be the real test.

So in short - YES you are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    If I understand the way the uber-kernal works:

-It is OTA compatible

If concerned about bricking your Pre etc (and maybe a PreWare guru can input on this), you need to do the following steps:

1. Delete the 'UberKernal' icon in the launcher
    2. Reboot Pre
    3. Open 'Preware'
    4. Install the 'Palm Kernal'
    5. Reboot Pre
    *6. (Optional) delete 'Govnah' but not required.

REPEAT after update to reinstall the UberKernal.
    Are you saying to do this before an update or what you will need to do after the update?
  3.    #23  
    ok, that sounds good. I went ahead and installed the restore kernal from Preware just to be safe. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Although they really don't have to do it, I hope Palm installs the update on an uber kernal phone just to make sure it doesn't brick the phone. I'm sure some people will be caught unaware after the update comes out.
    I saw a post by Rod that said no need to remove the kernal. He said that IF there was an issue (unlikely, but just "if"), the "new" (Palm default) kernal would simply override Uber and no problem. Then, when they 'update' Uber....you just update on your phone.

I'll try to find the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Are you saying to do this before an update or what you will need to do after the update?
    ^Before the update, then if you want to re-install the Uberkernal after the update then thats fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I saw a post by Rod that said no need to remove the kernal. He said that IF there was an issue (unlikely, but just "if"), the "new" (Palm default) kernal would simply override Uber and no problem. Then, when they 'update' Uber....you just update on your phone.

I'll try to find the post.
    ^Yes, please find that would be great. Last I can remember is that there shouldn't be a problem OTA compatible BUT I don't remember anything about it writing back the default kernal automatically.

I know it does a backup of the kernal files before install though. Take this in mind though...just 5 minutes ago UberKernal had an update in Preware for me...so I saw it was backing up the kernal files, so now if it DOES default will it put the older UberKernal files on for me, or will it still put the Palm default ones on?
    Quote from rwhitby's post:

UberKernel and Govnah are designed to be OTA-safe.

OTA-safe means that if Palm update their kernel, then overclocking will be disabled until the user installs a kernel update. Just like with AUPT patches.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2499192
    ^Before the update, then if you want to re-install the Uberkernal after the update then thats fine.
    Why go through the trouble of deleting the icon then installing the palm kernel when you can just uninstall uber in preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Why go through the trouble of deleting the icon then installing the palm kernel when you can just uninstall uber in preware?
    Etiher way, to each their own. Both ways should work. Guess uninstalling in PreWare and then installing the default Palm Kernal would be the most staight forward way and safer too.

Ok you win!
    Etiher way, to each their own. Both ways should work. Guess uninstalling in PreWare and then installing the default Palm Kernal would be the most staight forward way and safer too.

Ok you win!
    Installing the palm default kernal is definitely a good idea after removing a custom kernal. But it is also good to make sure you uninstall the custom kernal properly first just in case it touches files that the defaukt kernal doesn't, as nobody wants leftover files messing about.
    Well I'd say we are all winners here because we have power and simplicity of the uber kernal.
    Ok, sorry to sound so technically dumb, but I hear 2 different solutions here.

Some people say that leaving Uber in place should be fine with the OTA update, just remove your themes (I like this solution and trust that my pre will be ok, I'm ok with the risk).

Then I'm also hearing that Uber should be removed via preware and the original Palm kernal put back in. This solution is not alot of work but I like the above one better.

Which one guys?

Also, I have a sprint pre, should I remove the mobile hotspot or just leave it?

Thanks for the help guys, you make the most technically dumb guy(me) have an already awesome phone even better!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    just remove the kernel app and theme if u have any install.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    To clear a few things up, the "danger" is that doing the WebOS update could potentially conflict with certain mods, and might also break the ability to properly uninstall the old UberKernal. To be safe, uninstalling that sort of thing and going back to the "Palm provided" version is the safe bet.

Using the doctor, you can of course, revert your device to factory, which clears out all patches, mods, themes, etc. Then you can do the WebOS update once available, and then re-apply your patches. Depending on how many patches you have, that may be a bit of a nuisance, but it would be safe at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Ok, sorry to sound so technically dumb, but I hear 2 different solutions here.

Some people say that leaving Uber in place should be fine with the OTA update, just remove your themes (I like this solution and trust that my pre will be ok, I'm ok with the risk).

Then I'm also hearing that Uber should be removed via preware and the original Palm kernal put back in. This solution is not alot of work but I like the above one better.

Which one guys?

Also, I have a sprint pre, should I remove the mobile hotspot or just leave it?

Thanks for the help guys, you make the most technically dumb guy(me) have an already awesome phone even better!
    We were debating how to remove a custon kernal properly more than debating whether the kernal should be removed.

Anyway, in response the theme MUST be removed but the kernal is OTA update safe so can be left on. However an aupt Kernal has not been publicly tested so far (Im sure webos internals have done it privately), so we are the guinea pigs for this one.
    Personally I expect it to all go smoothly. But as a rule of thumb, if you absolotly don't want the prospect of having to doctor then remove the kernal. I'm willing to test it so am keeping the kernal for the update, I'm really excited at the prospect.
    Hope my posts help.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Only thing left that has to be removed before OTA update is THEMES. All patches are OTa compatible now, and worked fine for me on the last update. The Uberkernal should be OTA compatible, this update coming up will be the real test.

So in short - YES you are correct.
    Thanks! So, can anyone tell me why themes cause problems in OTA updates? Wouldn't the Palm provided files just overwrite the theme files anyway?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12