1.    #1  
    Okay...so here's a weird one.

I bought a used Palm Pre Plus today and decided to activate it for the evening to try it out (comparing it to my HTC Droid Eris). I noticed the last person who owned the phone didn't do a factory reset before they packaged the phone so I went into phone info and did the Erase All option. When the phone reset, it said activation successful before I did my Palm Account setup...only problem is it never actually called to activate the device. I'm now stuck at the Palm Account setup screen because I can't get any data to go through the device (because it isn't actually activated) and I tried calling customer service...but they said they couldn't do anything and I needed to dial *228 from the phone...which appears to be impossible until I actually get an account created with Palm and reach the main home screen.

I saw an instructional page on Verizon's website on how to do a Full Factory Reset using the option, sym, and power keys at the same time but it doesn't seem to do anything even if i hold the three keys in for like 15 seconds.

Any ideas?

Also, since I don't actually have a Palm profile created, I can't do a remote wipe of the device...

Thanks,

Ryan
    You should be able to go online to your Verizon account and add that esn to your line.
  3.    #3  
    gapost, I would do this, but the phone itself has no way of being programmed correctly unless I can do a *228 on the device....which from the account setup screen appears to be impossible. Is there another combination of hardware buttons I can use to completely reset the phone and try to get the activation to work correctly this time?
    visit webosinternals.org, there is a section there on putting your phone into recovery
    one thing I've learned in years of smartphones is that you have to talk to an actual customer svc rep the first time an ESN is activated on your account (assuming you didn't buy/activate at a VZ store)

choose the option to speak to a live person when you call.

and do a secure erase before you call. After logging in to your palm profile, it may say its activated but you probably won't be able to make a call. Unless the seller hasn't activated a new phone on their number...

after the agent assigns the ESN to you, the *228 programming will complete the process...
    I'm not sure what you mean you can't call *228 does it not give you that option or does it not work? At the bottom right hand corner it should say tap to place emergency call and will also give you the option to call customer service.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean you can't call *228 does it not give you that option or does it not work? At the bottom right hand corner it should say tap to place emergency call and will also give you the option to call customer service.
    I see both of those options, however I don't want to call 911 (emergency call) and I don't want to dial customer service (*611)...I want to dial *228 to activate the device.
    use another phone to call vz support. Once they get the esn work done, you will be able to actkvate and use *228. Trust me on this...
    Are you saying that *228 does not work? Just hit call emergency service. Wipe out the 911 and then hit *228.

If you are not getting that to work then you have no other option than what cantaffordit has provided on numerous posts.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

10.    #10  
    Are you saying that *228 does not work? Just hit call emergency service. Wipe out the 911 and then hit *228.

If you are not getting that to work then you have no other option than what cantaffordit has provided on numerous posts.
    Thank you...this worked...I feel like such an ***** now.

that is a cool trick. Why didn't VZ customer support know that? You are a genius.
    I am not..wait yes I am a genius lol Jk.

Verizon should know that, but who knows you are always going to have really great customer experience with awesome agents who know what seems like everything and then the ones that think you are speaking a different language when you talk about your mobile device.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

I also had the calling pad blocked by the "Activation Failed" screen. I happily used the suggestion here to make an emergency call, but I kept getting disconnected. I called Verizon customer support and it took 40 minutes but they walked me through it. 2 small points; the customer service rep had a very detailed Palm Pre manual that worked well, which is something I'd heard was not likely. Second the problem was I'd used an upgrade from a different line and I had to convince Verizon that I'd accepted their terms. Finally it's running and I'm liking it.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that is a cool trick. Why didn't VZ customer support know that? You a genius.

I had the same issue. I wanted to do the same thing but VZ said no that will just call 911. I said are you sure? Yes. Positive. Enter Palm support. Go to 911 screen and erase, type *228
    Wow, I didn't know this. I was thinking if I lost my phone then no one can use my minutes since it's locked, but this seems to say otherwise!
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    i dont think it will consume your minutes if its only emergency calls... *228 is still considered an emergency call
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I had this EXACT same problem! The Emergency Call option (deleting 911 and entering *228) worked PERFECTLY! And I agree.........why didn't the rep tell me that instead of making me try to hard reset my phone like 100 times using the options key, SYM key, and power button.......which never worked by the way.

THANKS AGAIN!