Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Please excuse me if theres already a million threads regarding Uberkernel but I just dont have the time to look through them all. Ok so I just installed UberKernel/Govnah a little while ago and am using the screenstate 500mhz/800mhz profile. I am absolutley loving the speed. It makes the phone perfect and is extremely noticable. However, my phone seems to be heating up considerably. I mean in Govnah the highest I have seen it is about 42 but then again at the times it was heating up I really wasnt messing around with Govnah.

Is this normal? Is it going to eventually brick my phone by heating up like this?
    I heard as long as it stays under 50 yr fine.i have had uber since it came out and I am always between 35 and 41 during high use. No problems here
    It's normal, but try turning off Data or stop over-clocking for a little while if it gets above 45C.

There is a temperature monitoring patch available in Preware which will alert you if it heats up to a point where something should be done, and when it is way too hot for safety.

Just as a rule of thumb, try to keep it below 45C and you'll be fine, but don't freak out if it reaches that point, the phone is cable of a bit higher temperatures, but really shouldn't be stressed if it doesn't need to be.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks. Was just a bit worried with the actual physical heat stemming from the phone. Just doesent feel normal. My blackberry tour used to do the same thing though and nothing ever happened with that when it got hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivalrejectq View Post
    Please excuse me if theres already a million threads regarding Uberkernel but I just dont have the time to look through them all. Ok so I just installed UberKernel/Govnah a little while ago and am using the screenstate 500mhz/800mhz profile. I am absolutley loving the speed. It makes the phone perfect and is extremely noticable. However, my phone seems to be heating up considerably. I mean in Govnah the highest I have seen it is about 42 but then again at the times it was heating up I really wasnt messing around with Govnah.

Is this normal? Is it going to eventually brick my phone by heating up like this?
    Overclocking isn't the big heat producer. I run at a fixed 800 MHz all the time. The heat culprit is your phone radio, wifi radio, 3g radio or some other component. The OC only makes a minimal difference.

Try openening the slider and making sure you have some good air flow moving across the Pre and you won't have any issues.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Try openening the slider and making sure you have some good air flow moving across the Pre and you won't have any issues.

I actually do keep the slider open often and just pretend that the phone was built without the sliding mechanism lolol because its a lot easier to use but the phone is still very hot like that. Im actually thinking about going back to the regular kernel because of this and wikipedia has this to say :

"My phone gets really hot during heavy use. At what temperatures should I start to worry?

This is a difficult question to answer. Over-clocking is generally uncharted territory, and as such, there are risks. One is over-heating your cpu. Another is shortening the life of your cpu because of excess heat. Note that the Govnah application measures internals CPU temperature, which may or may not be hotter or colder than battery temperature (depending on how quickly the battery is charging or discharging). The Govnah icon progresses from green to yellow to red to flames as a general indication of what we currently believe to be conservatively safe regions, but the exact boundaries of these regions are yet to be determined.

At the moment, we have green up to 39, yellow from 40 to 49, red from 50 to 59, and flames from 60."

I dont really want my phone to have a shorter life, Ive been through too many phones. So i guess Ill have to put up with the lag. Just wish there was a different alternative. Ive already tried the setting logging to minimal discussed in another post and that did very little.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    So does anybody know a work around to keep the fast speed without my phone heating up?
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivalrejectq View Post
    So does anybody know a work around to keep the fast speed without my phone heating up?
    I have Uber and run 500/800 screebstate, also.

I had it heat up to "red" numbers only once. I went to Palm Default profile in Uber and cooled the phone down (was in car, held near AC vent). I then went back to Screenstate and have not had any problems.

I've run Uber for quite a while and it only happened this once. It was on the Touchstone at the time, BTW.

I'd just try it again and watch it. Mine was an anomaly. Perhaps, yours is, too.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I too have this problem. I run 500/800 and have a Seido 2600 battery.
    This only occurs for me in the car, however. I find that removing the back or placing near an A/C vent helps. It does bother me that essentially I cannot use NAV while charging without the AC on in the car. Sunny days with the sunroof are useless if I have NAV running.

Anyway, that's where I find I have the most trouble - Data, sunlight and charging all mixed together. I find that if I remove the back when I get the battery 45 C warning that it cools down immediately.

Hope this helps.
    Dan
    I'm running uber-kernel screenstate 500-800,the heat issue your experience will not brick your pre. It get hot even when not overclocking,especially using the touchstone charger. I don't even use the heat monitor patch,because it goes off to often when playing games and videos. Sometime my cpu temp go up over 55F,and nothing ever happen to my phone. The thing is if it bother you so much,then you might wanna go back down to stock. I've been using overclocking since the first gen. Hope you find the setting that make you comfortable with your phone. Good luck on the choice you make.