1.    #1  
    How do I backup the SMS and call log in a Palm Pre? I have spent a great deal of time using these tow functions in my many previous Palm products. Now I cannot find a way to do it with the Pre. I use Pocketmirror to link with Outlook 2007 and not the 'Cloud'.
    Quote Originally Posted by testor15 View Post
    How do I backup the SMS and call log in a Palm Pre? I have spent a great deal of time using these tow functions in my many previous Palm products. Now I cannot find a way to do it with the Pre. I use Pocketmirror to link with Outlook 2007 and not the 'Cloud'.
    There is no way other than homebrew at the moment.
    Pre back up utility. http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...backup-utility If you are backing up call logs and sms you must restore to the same webos version
  3.    #3  
    I just downloaded this backup file but it does not have installation instructions. I just got the Pre and am having to learn all the new processes. I was able to download and actually install the software to backup the phone, the next part of the question is: how can I down load the call log and SMS to my computer in a way it is usable? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by testor15; 06/09/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by testor15 View Post
    I just downloaded this backup file but it does not have installation instructions. I just got the Pre and am having to learn all the new processes. Thanks for your help!
    Ok. Well you have two options of installing the Pre Backup Utility. You will have to be running webOS version 1.4.1.1 on your pre though (device info app, fifth option down shows your version)

1. You can install the Pre Backup Utility through webOS quick install
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ighlight=v3.14
    or
    2. You can use preware to install the Pre Backup Utility
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Either way I recommend installing preware onto your phone as it offers full customisation to your phone.
    My recommended way to download

Go to the quick install thread, check the pc requirements(ie java)
    Open the installation guide, this will be easy to follow but here is what you will basically have to do.
    After downloading the quick install and doctor.
    Turn dev mode on(upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on pre keyboard)
    Plug the device into the usb via the cable and select just charge when it prompts you, will probably also install a driver on the pc.
    Double click the quickinstall.jar (don't touch the doctor) to open.
    Now check that the program has recognised your device, go to oiptions, device managment and see if your device comes up. If it does then close this and go back to the main screen of quick install.
    Now hit the blue arrow button, a new pop up should come up. Change the feed at the top to webos-internals (pre) if you have a pre or webos-internals (pixi) if you have a pixi.
    Now find preware and tick it off. Hit download, once it has downloaded go back to the main quick install, you should have a package ready to install, hit install.
    After it is done installing, close down wosqi and unplug the phone. Make sure the phone reboots.
    Now on your pre you should have a preware icon, tap and let the feeds load.
    Once it has loaded, go to applications, system utilities and the backup utility will be near the bottom. Tap on it and click install, after installing just close preware and you will now have the backup utility of your launcher.
    And now you can read up and play on the rest of preware.
    There is a troubleshooting section in that quick install thread. If you have any other issues you can pm me.
    Sorry for being long winded but oh well.
    Good luck
  5.    #5  
    Sorry I guess I should have started a new thread, I will learn... I was able to download and actually install the software to backup the phone, the next part of the question is: how can I down load the call log and SMS to my computer in a way it is usable? I often need the text messages and phone logs for client work...