Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I bought a Palm Pre Plus from VZ almost 3 weeks ago and ended up getting it replaced with another new Pre Plus because it had a stuck pixel and bad 'S' key. This newer one seems to be better built. It has a snappier keyboard and the action on the slider is tight and solid.

    I noticed on the box that it has a sticker saying '1.4.0' which my other Pre Plus box did not have.

    Anyone notice this too?
  2. #2  
    That's good to hear. Maybe going forward, we can put all the hardware nightmares in the rear view mirror.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  3. #3  
    I just recently got a replacement Sprint Pre and I have been having a very similar experience. The machine has a much better keyboard, it doesn't have any Oreo feel to it at all, my old machine could slide a little even when new, it doesn't creak or make any noise, and it's fast! The machine is running very very smooth and for a little while I thought maybe they put a Pre plus internals in there by mistake but I still get the too many cards error sometimes. However yes the phone is of a much much higher quality than my old machine.
  4. #4  
    Common effect. Although some phones are just naturally built better, after using a phone it becomes worn and "broken in". The reason for the increased speed is most likely the clean install of WebOS. This is the same thing as when your doctor your phone.

    Not sure if you are aware, but maybe the 1.4.0 is referencing the fact it has a WebOS version of 1.4.0? Just wondering if you knew

    I hope as much as the next person that Palm is improving their hardware quality though.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  5. #5  
    I too, just got a new verizon pre that came with version 1.4. My previous Pre was only two weeks old but it shipped with the older version of web os, and I had several problems with it. So far this one has been great!
  6. crobcary's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #6  
    I dunno if the webOS version has any demarcation value, but I believe there has been a new manufacturing batch. I drowned my fourth warranty replacement Palm Pre+ (which STILL had a creaky slider, keyboard, and stuck pixel) that had stayed with me for a month, and had it replaced two weeks ago via insurance…and it has been absolutely perfect, save an occasionally skipping alt key.

    I still have my old one's box and my new one's box…I don't know what the serials mean, but perhaps someone here does? Would that indicate any new sources/batches/generations/whatever in the supply chain?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Common effect. Although some phones are just naturally built better, after using a phone it becomes worn and "broken in". The reason for the increased speed is most likely the clean install of WebOS. This is the same thing as when your doctor your phone.

    Not sure if you are aware, but maybe the 1.4.0 is referencing the fact it has a WebOS version of 1.4.0? Just wondering if you knew

    I hope as much as the next person that Palm is improving their hardware quality though.
    IDK. I hadn't sat idly by with my old pre to make sure it ran well. I had doctored that thing at nearly every update. Done full erases, installed processor hacks, god know what other little tricks to just make it fast enough that I could stand it. I even tried keeping it freshly patch clean after one of the full erases to see if that would help. From the first day I loved everything but the speed, and here comes this new one and it runs faster than my old one ever did regardless of how I had it hacked or not hacked out. This thing is not even close, although strangly it won't load 3d games period. It loaded Nova once. But besides that it actually runs flawless. Much happier than new one and no this new machine is of a much higher build quality period. No beat up effect no nothing.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah the 1.4.0 referred to the webOS version. It seems the newer batches are shipping with the newer OS. The original Pre Plus I got was running 1.3.x.

    All in all, I'm extremely happy with this replacement. The keyboard is clicky (not as clicky as the Pixi Plus, but better nonetheless).

    If you're having trouble with TMC, try Unixpsycho's F104 kernel. It has CompCache which allows your kernel to use the 16GB memory space on your phone as swap space. It may help with TMC errors. I am running it at screenstate 125/720 and my phone operates flawlessly so far. Heat has not been an issue; for some reason the UberKernel causes my phone to heat up quite a bit compared to Unixpsycho's kernel at the same speeds.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekpyr View Post
    Yeah the 1.4.0 referred to the webOS version. It seems the newer batches are shipping with the newer OS. The original Pre Plus I got was running 1.3.x.

    All in all, I'm extremely happy with this replacement. The keyboard is clicky (not as clicky as the Pixi Plus, but better nonetheless).

    If you're having trouble with TMC, try Unixpsycho's F104 kernel. It has CompCache which allows your kernel to use the 16GB memory space on your phone as swap space. It may help with TMC errors. I am running it at screenstate 125/720 and my phone operates flawlessly so far. Heat has not been an issue; for some reason the UberKernel causes my phone to heat up quite a bit compared to Unixpsycho's kernel at the same speeds.
    Would that swapspace trick work with my sprint pre? I only have 8 gigs. And actually the one thing that helped before was running the machine at a higher clock speed. However I donno if I want to do that yet. Pre still feels snappy and I worry about over heating the machine and damaging it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Would that swapspace trick work with my sprint pre? I only have 8 gigs. And actually the one thing that helped before was running the machine at a higher clock speed. However I donno if I want to do that yet. Pre still feels snappy and I worry about over heating the machine and damaging it.
    I have read several reports on these forums saying Compcache has helped the Sprint Pre TMC issue dramatically.
  11. #11  
    OK I'm looking at his post where he provides the files. Is there any specific instructions for it anywhere or is it just download file, open quickinstall, install file with quickinstall?
  12.    #12  
    Uninstall any previous custom kernels first, reboot, install the new kernel, reboot. Install govnah, select a profile and done.

Posting Permissions