Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm brand new here and I just got my Palm Pre Plus yesterday. I absolutely love it, it's exactly what I need.

I'm kind of a clean freak... and my sister got staph infection from her phone last summer so I'm kind of obsessed with cleaning my phone. BUT, the last thing I want to do is damage the screen! I know they say to just wipe it clean with a cloth, but that doesn't kill the bacteria... =/

Sorry if this is the wrong forum or this has already been answered, but I couldn't really find a clear answer... how do I disinfect the touchscreen without damaging it?
    How in the world did they isolate the source of the staph infection to the phone?
    soak it in bleach!!! Everyday for at least 23 1/2 hours. JP I would use the clorax disinfecting wipes. Or other disinfecting wipes.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Should try using those KFC cloths.
    Just get a screen protector from Amazon.com or Radio Shack. Any cleaning solution would damage your precious pre. Good luck man! :-)
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I use eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Never spray any solution directly on the device; spray the cloth then wipe. That will clean your phone. Anything more (e.g., antibacterial wipes and such) is overkill.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    And also, don't let cheap hookers use your phone.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    And also, don't let cheap hookers use your phone.
    Ewwwww

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Turn off your pre.
    Get a cloth towel damp with antibacterial soap water (ring it out to the point it stops dripping, and then some).
    Wipe your pre down.
    Dry your pre with a dry cloth towel or micro fiber cloth.
    You'll only need to do this after someone else uses your Pre or you suspect your hands were dirty (with bacteria or whatever) while handling your phone.

I doubt very much that your sister got it from a phone when there are about a million everyday places that you can get it. Anywhere from stair railings, to bathroom floors, to just about any surface the general public can use.
    Staph Infection (Cellulitis) - WebMD | Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Cellulitis

Anyway, hope I've massaged your paranoia
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Turn off your pre.
    Get a cloth towel damp with antibacterial soap water (ring it out to the point it stops dripping, and then some).
    Wipe your pre down.
    Dry your pre with a dry cloth towel or micro fiber cloth.
    You'll only need to do this after someone else uses your Pre or you suspect your hands were dirty (with bacteria or whatever) while handling your phone.

I doubt very much that your sister got it from a phone when there are about a million everyday places that you can get it. Anywhere from stair railings, to bathroom floors, to just about any surface the general public can use.
    Staph Infection (Cellulitis) - WebMD | Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Cellulitis

Anyway, hope I've massaged your paranoia
    30% of people have MRSA growing on them. The most common way to get a skin infection (or any infection for that matter) is a tear in your skin. So if you cut yourself, wash with soap and water (the single best way to prevent infection outside of iodine). In a recent study, the single most important factor to preventing infection during surgeries was hand washing. Almost no other factor affected whether or not a patient got an infection. So wash your hands.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    30% of people have MRSA growing on them. The most common way to get a skin infection (or any infection for that matter) is a tear in your skin. So if you cut yourself, wash with soap and water (the single best way to prevent infection outside of iodine). In a recent study, the single most important factor to preventing infection during surgeries was hand washing. Almost no other factor affected whether or not a patient got an infection. So wash your hands.
    I was hoping you would chime in. You have to know more about this than most of us do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I was hoping you would chime in. You have to know more about this than most of us do.
    NP Windzilla knows this stuff too (he is also a medical student)!

Also windex sprayed on a paper towel, then wiped on your phone will do a great job disinfecting. It evaporates fast enough too so it won't hurt your Pre. Leaves a nice shine as well

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Right, everything you said is in that article I linked too...
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    NP Windzilla knows this stuff too (he is also a medical student)!

Also windex sprayed on a paper towel, then wiped on your phone will do a great job disinfecting. It evaporates fast enough too so it won't hurt your Pre. Leaves a nice shine as well
    Didn't know that Windzilla is also a med student.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Right, everything you said is in that article I linked too...
    MRSA is a special strain of Staph aureus. MRSA is methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus and is a very nasty bug as it is resistant to the vast majority of antibiotics used today. If you get a MRSA infection you will end up in the hospital on IV antibiotics and observed carefully as it can very easily make its way into your blood stream to system infection, shock and death.

But really, you have all sorts of things growing on you. Most adults have Neisseria meningitidis in their nose (causes meningitis in people in their 20's). You have strep species in your mouth which cause cavities. Most infections people get are from things living on their skin or in their GI tract that made it past the skin or the mucus membranes.

If you couldn't tell I have been studying for the first part of my licensing exam, which I take on Friday

MRSA is a special strain of Staph aureus. MRSA is methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus and is a very nasty bug as it is resistant to the vast majority of antibiotics used today. If you get a MRSA infection you will end up in the hospital on IV antibiotics and observed carefully as it can very easily make its way into your blood stream to system infection, shock and death.

But really, you have all sorts of things growing on you. Most adults have Neisseria meningitidis in their nose (causes meningitis in people in their 20's). You have strep species in your mouth which cause cavities. Most infections people get are from things living on their skin or in their GI tract that made it past the skin or the mucus membranes.
    i was JUST about to say that^. jk
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    If you couldn't tell I have been studying for the first part of my licensing exam, which I take on Friday
    Ah good luck! I know from experience license tests are no fun.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Any good self contained lens/screen wipe packet should be fine as well. These usually have an alcohol base which will do nicely to disinfect and clean the smudges off your screen. Personally I use the Wipe n clear brand which costco sells for a decent price.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm so grossed out now. I'm going to go clean my phone now... I use electronic wipes that have been approved for cleaning cell phones - uses alcohol, at least that's what it smells like..
    I use the little packaged alcohol wipes. You can culture MRSA from all sorts of envionmental surfaces, so cleaning certainly helps.

Edit: my 1000'th post! Yipee!!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast