1.    #1  
    I was thinking of getting a Palm Pre as a backup phone. However, i was told that my data plan would be switched to the new plans and the palm pre wouldnt work. Has anyone tried this yet
    Here is my understanding:

Because the data goes through different APNs (routes) an iPhone SIM card would not work with a Palm Pre - because of this it's impossible to have one SIM card for both the iPhone AND the Pre.

Similarly a Palm Pre SIM card would provide no data for an iPhone.

Best plan of action: Get a PAYG Sim card or another contract to run alongside your main account.
    i dont recommend a Pre as a backup phone, as the battery isnt that reliable
    from my understanding its because of the way the data plans are set up an iPhone will only work with an iPhone data plan. However in my experience and others on this board, other handsets will work on the iPhone data plan, but most reps belive iphone plan will only work with an iPhone, and that a regular data plan will only work with everything else.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Not sure about US, but for us iPhones use a different APN, but it works just fine for regular phones. I've had my Centro and E51 and both work on, er, both.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I was told the same thing, but I'll call it in by phone and switch back to my iphone plan.
    I think your current plans should be retained. But check with them, especially if you're getting iPhone 4 w/a micro sim.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    From my understanding (sitting chatting to o2 store people while waiting for things) is that the data plans for pre, iphone and all other phones (except BB) are the same except different prices as the iphone and pre one one will allow wifi usage (hotspots), regular data wont. I think theres also some usage limits in there somewhere too. The bb one uses a different gateway and therefore if you try and use a normal data plan with a bb or vice versa you end up with a huge bill as I can vouch for, 200 quids worth of data and a dozen irate phone calls before they finally sorted it out. (thankfully it was credited)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'm not sure about all that. I popped my sim out of my iPhone and used it in a Motorola Backflip for a while. Nothing changed and I had data connectivity. Now, all this was before I got my Pre that came with a new sim card anyway. I almost just used my old but I figure they're all the same.
    I use my iPhone SIM in my Pre+ for nearly a month, used a gig of data that month, hehe. No problems yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    i dont recommend a Pre as a backup phone, as the battery isnt that reliable
    Dude, have you ever read one thread on this forum? Battery issues have been solved long ago with updates. I easily get through a whole day with heavy usage on my 8 month old Pre (with the original battery). There are many things you can do to reduce battery consumption. There are countless threads on this. Plus, you can always get a spare battery. Sorry to threadjack, but that needed to be said.
    Oh, one detail I didn't mention in my previous post, I bought the phone outright. No new SIM, no registration/activation. Popped my iPhone SIM from my Nokia N79 into the Pre+. It just works.

Battery: Any smartphone I've ever owned barely lasted the day the way I use them. I'm so accustomed to daily charge it doesn't cross my mind as a problem. If you want a two-three day phone better get one that calls and texts only, haha.
    Last edited by Fountainhead; 06/11/2010 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Battery: Any smartphone I've ever owned barely lasted the day the way I use them. I'm so accustomed to daily charge it doesn't cross my mind as a problem. If you want a two-three day phone better get one that calls and texts only, haha.
    Seriously.