Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    seriously.
    overclock your pre.
    the instructions are simple and easy to follow if youve ever done anything with preware.

the new overclocking craze is the uber kernel, and can be found in preware by searching list of everything for uber.

the thread with the instructions can be found on here by searching for the same type of thing.

IMPORTANT:
    if you do this, set your screen-on speed to 800 and screen-off speed to 125.

this makes the battery life the same (unnoticeable change)
    and no joke, REINVENTS the pre.

there is ZERO hiccup while scrolling and none whatsoever when flipping through cards, closing cards, opening cards, or going side to side in launcher.
    music is also MUCH faster switching songs or going through lists of music.

if youve used an iphone and thought to yourself, "why arent all phones so smooth and fluid through menus?" or "why cant scrolling be less jumpy on MY phone?" look no further.

i loved my pre before, but now i can honestly say that i have no use for my ipodtouch any longer.

i monitor my temperature and it never is any where near a level that would be considered warm.

overclock your pre; you wont regret it and youll love using your pre more than you ever have before.
    it is honestly a better feeling than the feeling you had when you first opened your pre.

-scott
    I haven't kept up with the Uberkernel thread, but for a while, I recall that screenstate was recommended to be at least 500 due to reported problems setting the min freq lower than that. Has that changed?

In fact, as I recall, screenstate for a while wouldn't even allow the minimum to be lower than 500. Is that still true?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    My phone has been overclocked for so long, and it has made such a significant impact on the pre's enjoyability factor, I don't think I could manage going back to 500MHz.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have the same ? as mu7efcer. I have my pre overclocked but the minimum is at 500. I would like to drop it to 125 but I didn't know if it was safe to do so. Anyone know whether it is???
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    few days ago there was a new gov updated and it looks that a few bugs were fixed well atleast on my pre plus it seens to be working perfect and yes now i can go and leave at mini=125 and max=800
    THE GAME OF LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by Matgeo15 View Post
    I have the same ? as mu7efcer. I have my pre overclocked but the minimum is at 500. I would like to drop it to 125 but I didn't know if it was safe to do so. Anyone know whether it is???
    The various govenor settings can have a different affect on one Pre to another. The screenstate govenor does allow a minimum setting below 500Mhz. My Pre does not like to be set below 500, with every govenor I've tried my phone freezes, heats up and has even lost all the launcher icons on one occasion. After having to pull the battery several times I will not go below 500Mhz anymore.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    totally random. based on this thread I went ahead and added the uber kernel. well today i used my my dr podder and when it was downloaded the feeds it froze up every time. sometimes it came back to life and others I had to take the battery out. any suggestions?

I have just deleted the uber kernel and dr podder froze up again? I have used it dozens of times and never had a problem before today.
    Last edited by mikeiniowa; 06/08/2010 at 10:07 PM.
    the only app running is dr podder and I get memory critical too many apps message
    Running the Govnah/Uber-Kernel with the conservative mode set at 500 min and 720 max with a 35% freq step, love it so far. Battery life is not much different than running stock.
    Govnah updated back to 125mhz min speed. With the last version, I had to set it to 500, like everybody else. If I didn't, everything would lock up for a few seconds. The new version is perfect, been running at 125/800 since the update with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeiniowa View Post
    totally random. based on this thread I went ahead and added the uber kernel. well today i used my my dr podder and when it was downloaded the feeds it froze up every time. sometimes it came back to like and others I had to take the battery out. any suggestions?

I have just deleted the uber kernel and dr podder froze up again? I have used it dozens of times and never had a problem before today.
    From my experience, you have to give your phone a little time to get adjusted to a new kernel.
    A safe and stable govenor setting like screenstate with min. at 500Mhz and max. at 600Mhz or above is a good way to start.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Matgeo15 View Post
    I've been running screenstate Off:125 On:800 for a couple weeks and have had zero issues.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I've been running screenstate Off:125 On:800 for a couple weeks and have had zero issues.
    have you seen a noticeable difference in battery life?
    I tried the Uberkernel for a while, but went back to the Compcache kernel. It's the only one that allows me to use my Pre normally and then enjoy a few 3D games without a reboot. I had to reboot all the time either with the standard Palm kernel or with Uberkernel. Being able to enjoy all the features of my Pre while enjoying a smoother, overall snappier OS is awesome.
  15.    #15  
    i saw that this was an issue, but i have been running my pre this way for a few days now.

i have noticed only sometimes that when using the power button to turn the screen on and then slide the lock out of the way that the lock moves choppily.

but this is no issue for me. i have had no issues as of yet.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by junwah View Post
    have you seen a noticeable difference in battery life?
    no i have not seen a difference. which is probably due to leaving the processor so slow in "off" mode.

it does drop more quickly when in use (eg. playing hawx) but the time you spend using your pre , even if the battery goes down by maybe 3-4% more, is SO much more enjoyable.

NOTE: I know i shouldnt text and drive but having the phone be so quick and predictable with no lags actually improves the safety of using the phone while driving. i dont have to look down to see if messaging opened and stuff. i know everything works.
    Ok, I just installed Uberkernel from Preware. What next? I got the Uberkernel icon but when I open it, I get the patch note. How do I set the speed? Do I need additional app? Please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Ok, I just installed Uberkernel from Preware. What next? I got the Uberkernel icon but when I open it, I get the patch note. How do I set the speed? Do I need additional app? Please help.
    download govnah, also in preware, then when you have govnah, open the app and choose which profile you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    download govnah, also in preware, then when you have govnah, open the app and choose which profile you want.
    I just reinstalled the kernel and Govnah a couple of days ago. I tried it a month or so ago, and things were not stable on my phone. But now things seem to work well. I love that Govnah now retains its settings after a reboot.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I downloaded the uberkernal and govnah and in the govnah app, it won't let me select the screenstate profile. I just says unknown as my profile and it won't change it to the screenstate one that is 500/800. Am I doing something wrong???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast