Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just got a mint refurb from asurion and couldn't deal with it without uberkernal. I ran it on my old phone for two months with no problem. I'm not a very techy guy, but with the money developers and this site, my pre is at hotboy status!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysxc View Post
    seriously.
    overclock your pre.
    the instructions are simple and easy to follow if youve ever done anything with preware.

the new overclocking craze is the uber kernel, and can be found in preware by searching list of everything for uber.

the thread with the instructions can be found on here by searching for the same type of thing.

IMPORTANT:
    if you do this, set your screen-on speed to 800 and screen-off speed to 125.

this makes the battery life the same (unnoticeable change)
    and no joke, REINVENTS the pre.

there is ZERO hiccup while scrolling and none whatsoever when flipping through cards, closing cards, opening cards, or going side to side in launcher.
    music is also MUCH faster switching songs or going through lists of music.

if youve used an iphone and thought to yourself, "why arent all phones so smooth and fluid through menus?" or "why cant scrolling be less jumpy on MY phone?" look no further.

i loved my pre before, but now i can honestly say that i have no use for my ipodtouch any longer.

i monitor my temperature and it never is any where near a level that would be considered warm.

overclock your pre; you wont regret it and youll love using your pre more than you ever have before.
    it is honestly a better feeling than the feeling you had when you first opened your pre.

-scott
    Overclocking to 800 Mhz does make the Pre more responsive, but it is far from the smoothness of the iPhone/iTouch. The reason for that is because the UI is not video accelerated, and depends on the CPU for all of the visual effects. Until that happens, you will not see iPhone-level smoothness.

As far as temperature, whenever I plan on using the phone heavily, I turn off the overclock. On a recent trip, I was running the Sprint Nav app, Trapster, and Slacker Radio at the same time, so the CPU and 3G radio were pretty busy. At 500 Mhz, while charging from the USB cable, temps reached 51C, via the Govnah app. Since this was at stock speeds, and given that this phone is designed to handle any multitasking, I didn't worry about it. Which also leads me to believe that the 45C temp cutoff is sort of an arbitrary number that may not reflect the processor's true thermal design capacity. It is common for my PC CPU to reach 70C when running at full load, which is still below it's thermal design. And it's overclocked by over 1 Ghz on stock cooling. Two years and still going strong. During normal use, my Pre does not get very hot, even at 800 Mhz.
    I have to say. I have read all the posts had my pre for at least 8 months and love it. I just tried the Preware overclocking and WOW. What a ride ! It's running great. Thanks to all of you.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Overclocking to 800 Mhz does make the Pre more responsive, but it is far from the smoothness of the iPhone/iTouch. The reason for that is because the UI is not video accelerated, and depends on the CPU for all of the visual effects. Until that happens, you will not see iPhone-level smoothness.
    I am no techie expert but that makes perfect sense to me.

I did not know that the UI on iPhoneOS had its own video acceleration.

I was merely giving my lay opinion on the lack of video shutter or choppiness when scrolling or flipping back and forth through launcher pages.

Maybe Palm should include a dedicated video processor in the fabled C40!

This would make sense as the majority of sensory interaction with any handheld device (as far as actual data entering the user's brain, I don't want to have an aesthetics war erupt from this...) is centered around sight and the screen.

Regards,
    Scott
  5.    #25  
    oh and another response,

as far as temperature is concerned i have not used nav and pandora at once as i have not taken a trip in months.

however i am sure that this would heat it up a bit.

one thing that i do use that heats it up beyond belief is mytether.

the 3g and wifi modems going full force while simultaneously acting as a router heats up my phone to literally burn-your-hand hot.

what i do is lay it screen down and remove the battery cover while also leaving the slider open.

i have no done research to confirm that this actually improves airflow, but it does let it cool down and stay at a safer temp.

and also when on a long automotive haul i use my laptop (with a clever stand i devised) to do gps and music, while using the pre to provide the all important interwebz.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysxc View Post
    I am no techie expert but that makes perfect sense to me.

I did not know that the UI on iPhoneOS had its own video acceleration.

I was merely giving my lay opinion on the lack of video shutter or choppiness when scrolling or flipping back and forth through launcher pages.

Maybe Palm should include a dedicated video processor in the fabled C40!

This would make sense as the majority of sensory interaction with any handheld device (as far as actual data entering the user's brain, I don't want to have an aesthetics war erupt from this...) is centered around sight and the screen.

Regards,
    Scott
    We actually have a pretty good graphics chip in the Pre. In fact, it is the same as the iPhone 3GS, which is already much better than the one in the previous iPhone versions, which share the chip with the Pixi. And even the old iPhones and ipod touches were very smooth. The problem is, the UI can't access the graphics chip. At least not yet. But games can, which is why 3D gaming on the phone works so well. This is my biggest gripe with this phone. It basically came out in an extremely unfinished form, that would barely qualify it for alpha testing had it been produced by any other company. It had a video accelerator that, as of the release date, the OS could not access at all. It was about 6 months after that, when apps had access to it, and a year after release, the UI still has no access to it. I can gripe about all of the software problems with this phone, but that is not the scope of this thread. Overclocking, as you mentioned, does improve scrolling response, but my launcher pages, while much better than at stock speed, are still a bit choppy. When i pick up an iPhone and play around with it, the difference in smoothness is night and day. In the end, I paid $200 for a phone with a major part of the hardware unusable in some form, even to this day.
    I would imagine it would take quite the code rewrite to have the UI use the GPU vs. CPU. It's not just a simple 'switch' so I'm not quite sure we will see that happen with the Pre. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by vortmax View Post
    I would imagine it would take quite the code rewrite to have the UI use the GPU vs. CPU. It's not just a simple 'switch' so I'm not quite sure we will see that happen with the Pre. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Most likely you are right about that. Which makes me seriously wonder why they didn't implement it in the first place. Everything about this phone was so rushed, that I'm not surprised that it flopped. I have a feeling that we will see a major WebOS rewrite in the future and UI video acceleration will be enabled, at which point we will have a phone at the level where it should have been at release date.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    so downloading govnah and uberkernel from preware is all it takes to overclock the phone? why do they have these long threads with a list of procedures if it's that simple? is getting preware the bulk of the work?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    it used to be you had to install overclocking kernels via lengthier (altho still easy) methods.

Now they've been packaged into Preware.

So yes, it's as easy as installing preware, going to the feed, and pressing 'install'

enjoy your new phone
    I have been reading about the new Uber Kernel and took the leap earlier in the week. Love that and the Govnah app so far.
    I'm looking for a thread on the community's experiences with different Govnah settings and tweaks to see what the optimum settings are. I have read the Web OS links so please, no responding with that page.
    Does anyone know where to see where different people have tried different settings and given feedback?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baconnbitz2010 View Post
    Does anyone know where to see where different people have tried different settings and given feedback?

I would also like to know this.
    im kind of confused a bit by these settings. can someone please give a conservative recommendation if im just looking to add a little speed to my Pre Plus?

also, what exactly does screenstate mean?

edit: okay answered a few of my own questions. could someone however please tell me if these settings are okay?

The following is what I have in Govnah:

PROFILE: Unknown
    GOVERNOR: screenstate
    FREQUENCY: 720 Mhz
    TEMPERATURE: (35-42)
    LOAD AVERAGE: (variable)

For some reason I feel paranoid having the Max setting at 800, with it being the highest available setting and all.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 06/14/2010 at 12:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    holy crap thank you! At first I changed the overclock settings and nothing happened...but I waited... And now my pre runs amazingly! I just hope my pre doesn't overheat....:-/ no worries,now the pre just needs a good vnc, flash and my wishlist will be complete
    Just took the plunge....no idea about all these settings.....is it just trial and error?

I have it on "Fixed Speed 720" profile, with "performance" governor that has "500mhz" min frequenxy and "720mhz" max frequency.
    Done my overclock last night and running at 800 Max and 125 Min. are these setting okay?

Phone seems a little hotter, but a lot faster. Especially multi-tasking

Can't comment on battery life as I have a touchstone @ home and work
    Quote Originally Posted by kanucme View Post
    so downloading govnah and uberkernel from preware is all it takes to overclock the phone? why do they have these long threads with a list of procedures if it's that simple? is getting preware the bulk of the work?
    The threads are mostly long because so few people even read the instructions. When you have nothing better to do, go to the Uber Kernel thread and count the number of times somebody installed UK and Govnah then complained that it won't run faster than 600 MHz only to have someone else tell them to "Restart Your Phone". Or how about.. "When I tap the UK icon nothing happens"?

Each revision in OC history has sought to make the process more accessible and easier for more users, yet most won't even follow the most basic instructions. It has to be frustrating for developers.

Oh... you would be surprised at the number of folks who have trouble just getting WOSQI and Preware up and running.

EDIT - Overclocking in particular adds a level of risk and complexity all its own since you run the risk of voiding your warranty. As such, most developers, implementers and promoters go out of their way to let you know all of the risks and precautions one should take before making such a big step.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 06/14/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Done my overclock last night and running at 800 Max and 125 Min. are these setting okay?

Phone seems a little hotter, but a lot faster. Especially multi-tasking
    I'm worried about this too. The Pre seems to have it's fair share of heat related issues. The 'heat splotches' problem comes to mind which is the reason I had to return my first Pre. I'd like to keep this thing nice and fast but not at the expense of additional issues. I'm curious if anyone has seen an increase in any heat related issues since overclocking their Pre..
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has seen an increase in any heat related issues since overclocking their Pre..
    There are a number of threads about the heat issue. Unfortunately most people aren't really sure what the source of heat in their Pre's is so your answers will be varied and completely subjective.

I have been OC'd for a long time now and running at a constant 800 MHz with no heat issues.

Your data use/gps/phone patterns, ambient temperature, and air circulation all have a much bigger impact on device temperature.
    Help please! Where is Govnah? I installed Uberkernel but I can't find govnah for christmas tree sake.

Thanks.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast