Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My MiFi is way faster than Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot.

I bit on the Verizon free Mobile Hotspot with Palm Pre Plus and got a Pre Plus about a week ago. I've had a MiFi with Verizon for about a year and thought the free Mobile Hotspot would allow me to drop my MiFi (I'm only on a one year contract with the MiFi).

One of the first things I did was compare the data speeds between the MiFi and the Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot. It's not good for the Palm. With everything the same: same wifi device, same location, same Verizon, etc. I'm getting consistently faster speeds with MiFi than with the Mobile Hotspot....three to six times faster on the MiFi.

Using speeds tests apps (I've used about three) like speedtest.net, speakeasy, etc. I'm getting anywhere from 1Mbps to 2.2Mbps down with the MiFi and about 200Kbps to 300Kbps with Mobile Hotspot. I went ahead and got MyTether for $14.95...just to test if this was something built into the Mobile Hotspot app, but I'm getting consistent results between Mobile Hotspot and MyTether wifi.

The difference is so drastic between MiFi and Palm Mobile Hotspot that I'm wondering if Verizon is purposely slowing the Palm 3G in order to compensate for giving away Mobile Hotspot for free.

Any thoughts or questions?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Thanks for running those tests. That's really interesting. However for me the performance of the mobile hotspot has been more than acceptable espcially considering I'm saving 60 dollars. For me it wouldn't be worth the cost.

However I've always wondered how integrated phone wifi could be as fast as a stand alone router. This proves..well that it isn't.
    yeah, I've tested with my Pre Plus with my co worker's verizon Mifi, no contest. Mifi wins, connection speed and signal. I think Pre Plus has very weak signal overall. Everytime I am inside the building, my 3g signal just drops, at the sametime my friend's Droid got really strong 3G. I am asking my friend to put the wifi tethering program so I can test out the speed against his droid hotspot to mine but my friend is just too lazy to do that atm.
  4.    #4  
    BTW, my results don't change whether I'm inside my house or outside.
  5.    #5  
    Oh...and a question: I've seen reference to some sort of "unthrottle" preware app...but I can't seem to find it with the WebOS preware install JRE tool. Does such and thing exist...and also...is there a CPU throttle tool of any kind in the preware apps?
    This is interesting as there shouldn't be that significant of a different between the two. If someone has a technical reason as to why there is, I'd sure like to hear it.

Does anyone have mobile hotspot with a different Verizon phone to provide input?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    What about running tests on your phone, over 3G and compare that to the mifi speeds and see if there is any difference.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    What about running tests on your phone, over 3G and compare that to the mifi speeds and see if there is any difference.
    I thought about doing that, but couldn't find any speed tests apps for the Palm. Can someone point me to the best way to do a 3G speed test on the Palm Pre Plus itself?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pespen View Post
    I thought about doing that, but couldn't find any speed tests apps for the Palm. Can someone point me to the best way to do a 3G speed test on the Palm Pre Plus itself?
    I also wanted to do try tethering to the Palm Pre Plus via USB and mytether, but there's no way to Mac OS X <-> USB <-> Palm w/ MyTether that I can see.
    I average 1.5 - 2 MBs on my Mobile Hotspot, so I think may be area specific.

This is the site I use for mobile speed tests

Mobile Speed test

There is also a thread here with people posting their results.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...dtest-app.html
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    I average 1.5 - 2 MBs on my Mobile Hotspot, so I think may be area specific.

This is the site I use for mobile speed tests

mobilespeedtest.com Mobile Speed test

There is also a thread here with people posting their results.

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/250198-speedtest-app.html
    OK then...more data points coming in a couple of hours (I can't take any phones into work)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I also switched from the MiFi to the Palm to save the monthly fee. We typically use DSL at home but use the mobile connection for traveling in our RV. I noticed no difference between the MiFi and the Palm Mobile Hotspot. Just now I ran a series of tests at speedtest.net and averaged 1.43 Mbps down and .283 Mbps up with the Palm. I'm sorry but I don't have comparison numbers for the MiFi and it is now disconnected so I can't test it, but I'm happy with the Hotspot performance.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by edistopre View Post
    I also switched from the MiFi to the Palm to save the monthly fee. We typically use DSL at home but use the mobile connection for traveling in our RV. I noticed no difference between the MiFi and the Palm Mobile Hotspot. Just now I ran a series of tests at speedtest.net and averaged 1.43 Mbps down and .283 Mbps up with the Palm. I'm sorry but I don't have comparison numbers for the MiFi and it is now disconnected so I can't test it, but I'm happy with the Hotspot performance.
    Did you run the test at speedtest.net on a device accessing via Mobile Hotspot...or on the Palm itself?

My results between MiFi and Palm Pre Mobile Hotspot have been consistent for a week now. My MiFi is significantly faster as detailed in my OP.
  14.    #14  
    Did you run the test at speedtest.net on a device accessing via Mobile Hotspot...or on the Palm itself?

My results between MiFi and Palm Pre Mobile Hotspot have been consistent for a week now. My MiFi is significantly faster as detailed in my OP.
    If anyone has any suggestions on why my MiFi is so much faster than my Palm Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot, I'd love to hear them. I'd love to get the MiFi speeds on the Palm and save myself some money every month.
    I've just tried running speedtest.net through the hotspot and I got great results.

2.23Mb Down / 0.53Mb Up.

I replaced my home DSL with this a few months ago and I've been consistently getting these kind of speeds. I live within 30 miles of Seattle so I guess I'm lucky to be in a major coverage area. From the sound of the responses on here it seems to be very 'signal' dependent, maybe the MiFi has a higher power receiver?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

That was accessing via my Compaq laptop wirelessly to the Palm Mobile Hotspot.
    At work MHS has consistent download speeds of 1.2 to 1.6 Mbs on my ipad. At home it depends. With the phone by my side and next to iPad, 200 to 400 Kbs. If I place the palm against a window with the back facing outside, I get 600 to 900 Kbs. A significant difference and it is consistent from day to day.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Sitting at my desk at home, only 0.78 Mbp/s. Not so fast at all. Like slow dsl. Of course at the same desk with Verizon VIOS I'm getting 25.74 Mbp/s (not the greatest, but pretty good.)

This is on my 3 year old Macbook.

JD
    Last edited by SceneThat; 06/08/2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: to add "This is on my 3 year old Macbook
    There's a massive difference between MiFi and the mobile hotspot that will keep me from ever signing up for MiFi --- the mobile hotspot is FREE. I'll live with a little difference in speed.
    The mobile hot spot is 811.g, yes? Doesn't that have an impact?

Our choice is dial-up fo $20/mo or MHS for $30/mo. Guess which one we chose.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast