Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Good info... been wondering about speeds on these devices
    I've seen download speeds of 3.3mbps on my wife's Asus netbook when testing with speedtest.net and connecting thru my pre +'s MHS. Usually averages around 2mbps. I'm very happy with the free MHS for that purpose. I just wish I could get better than 100kbps down (300kbps up!) when using it to connect my iPod touch.
    I tried Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Download - 0.43 Mb/s
    Upload - 0.07 Mb/s

I then tried www.speakeasy.net/speedtest:

Download - 0.24 Mb/s
    Upload - 0.37 Mb/s
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Problem with my Pre Plus is that Pre has very weak reception compare to Mifi and other Verizon smartphone like Droid. I have no problem connecting my PC to my Pre Plus Hotspot if I got very strong reception. I think speed is about same with Mifi. However, I've seen plenty of times when my Pre got 1x instead of 3G, I can't use my Pre for hotspot yet Mifi has no issue.

I didn't test Hotspot last night, but me and my friend who has droid, we both had great speed outside. And as soon as we walked into the building, my signal dropped and droid still went very strong.

Mifi connection is much more reliable in the spot where our Pre is having hard time finding the 3G signal.
    I have strong service (5 bars) and the 3G icon showing at the top of my Pre Plus.

The results using the Pre's Verizon Mobile Hotspot app on my Vista laptop via Speakeasy: 0.70 Mbps download, 0.23 Mbps upload

The results using the Pre's Verizon Mobile Hotspot app on my Vista laptop via Speedtest.net: 1.08 Mbps download, 0.25 Mbps upload, 222ms ping

I'll take what I can get for FREE.
  6.    #26  
    OK, some more information:

Running test directly on the Pre+ without Mobile Hotspot using my3gspeed.com and mobilespeedtest.com results fluctuate (even in the exact same location) from 250Kbps to 1.1Mbps down...most often around 400Kbps to 600Kbps. Tried at two different locations about 6 miles apart. Can't get anything more than about 300Kbps on a connected device via Mobile Hotspot. I even ran a iPod Touch against Mobile Hotspot and got 50Kbps down. Then shutdown the Palm Pre+, fired up the MiFi and got 1.1Mbps down on the same iPod Touch, same location but joined with the MiFi.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pespen View Post

Running test directly on the Pre+ without Mobile Hotspot using my3gspeed.com and mobilespeedtest.com results fluctuate (even in the exact same location) from 250Kbps to 1.1Mbps down...most often around 400Kbps to 600Kbps. Tried at two different locations about 6 miles apart. Can't get anything more than about 300Kbps on a connected device via Mobile Hotspot. I even ran a iPod Touch against Mobile Hotspot and got 50Kbps down. Then shutdown the Palm Pre+, fired up the MiFi and got 1.1Mbps down on the same iPod Touch, same location but joined with the MiFi.
    I really want this Palm Pre Plus to work for me...but this is just too discouraging. Considering sending back to Verizon, even if it might mean a $35 restock fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by pespen View Post

im new to the forum..but i read something regarding how the mobile hot spot doesn't work to well with ipod touch/ipad
    Just connected to my macbook pro and here's what speedtest.net tells me.

I'm in Tampa btw but for whatever reason that's where speedtest thinks the connection is.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Did a few tests today. I have never used a mifi, but I do find it interesting that I'm now getting a consistent 1.5 mb/s when the MHS is connected to my Macbook, but much slower times with my iPod Touch. Recent test with the Touch are around 400 kbps. (Don't know why there should be such a huge difference with the speeds.) Not the fastest speeds ever, but acceptable for me for those times when wifi isn't available for my Mac or my Touch. The mifi at $60 is in no way worth it to me, I simply wouldn't use it enough. But the "free" MHS is definitely worth it. (hard to say free when, in my opinion, Verizon is overcharging for the data plans on these phones, and don't get me started on the price of texting. I also note that ATT has basically raised the rates on its data plans).

So all in all, the MHS is, for me, just one more reason to have buy this great little phone.

JD
    Sitting in my living room I get about 1 mbps on Sprint. That's with 3 bars.

I have hit 2 mbps at my desk at work. I get full bars there.

I don't like speed test websites. I usually download something big then multiply the throughput I get by 8.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12