1.    #1  
    First off, I'm not a techie by any means. That said, here we go...

Every cell phone/device I've ever owned, everyone's always told me that constantly charging kills your battery quicker, leading to having to buy a whole new battery eventually. Now, with my Sprint Palm Pre, I have this thing sitting on a Touchstone to full charge at least 3 times a day. I'm not necessarily complaining about this, but... you see where I'm coming from? Is the possible battery-kill something we have all just accepted, or is the "constantly charging = dead battery" an old wive's tale?

Just curious, thanks!
    Constantly charging your Pre is just fine. The Pre has a li-ion battery which basically requires zero fussing around to get a decent return from. It's charge capacity will decrease slightly over time but you likely will not notice this in the phones 2 year life cycle.

Where li-ion is concerned, gone are the days of battery antics.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Since every other device of yours was probably not a Li-ion battery device then the old wives tale holds true here.
    However since the pre has a Li-ion battery it doesn't count, regular charging is better in this case. A simple google search will show you that a Li-ion battery is good for about 500 charge cycles. Recommendations for a Li-ion batteries are that it be kept in the 20 to 30C temp mark and is best charged at 40-60% A full cycle should be carried out about every 30 full charge cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Since every other device of yours was probably not a Li-ion battery device then the old wives tale holds true here.
    However since the pre has a Li-ion battery it doesn't count, regular charging is better in this case. A simple google search will show you that a Li-ion battery is good for about 500 charge cycles. Recommendations for a Li-ion batteries are that it be kept in the 20 to 30C temp mark and is best charged at 40-60% A full cycle should be carried out about every 30 full charge cycles.
    For Li-ion technology, it's not the number of charge cycles that determines the life so much as the DEPTH of the charge cycle. So you will get a significantly longer life out of a Li-ion battery if you keep it mostly charged.

There is no "memory" effect with Li-ion like there is with Ni-Cad. As far as I know, the only reason to ever do a full charge cycle (discharge completely, then charge completely) is to reset the battery calibration. I wouldn't want to do that more than about once every six months, because it is hard on your battery.

But frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Charge when you have the opportunity, charge when you have to, but don't go out of your way to do anything beyond that. Eventually your battery will die, and you'll have to get a new one, but I think everyone can pretty safely assume a 2 year battery life.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    my phone is plugged in 7 hours a day at work with the "No auto off while charging" patch.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everyone for the great info. I figured there had to be something high-tech to the battery mystery.

THANK YOU!!