Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Iphone since first launch as never change its look or formation. Steve Jobs only make each generation even better than the one before. Even though I am not a Iphone lover,but I do respect the company's effort. Most people are looking for Palm to completely change the formation and size of the Palm pre/plus,because of this or that. How about palm keeping the pre/plus the way it is and permanently get rid of the oreo effect the phone seem to have. Add a slightly larger screen. I love the size of the phone and personally don't need one larger than this. Do y'all think this is a good idea?
    Last edited by rush; 06/08/2010 at 05:33 AM.
    agreed!!!
    hmmm...disagreed...They should make it longer and bigger so they can put a keyboard on it just like the pixi, centro and treo 800 instead of puttting a shakey keyboard that pulls out. It'll look more elegant that way.
    As long as they change the keyboard I'm happy with the Pre's form factor. But honestly, the keyboard is horrible.
    Don!t forget, that the iphone is a huge success, and the pre couldn't help palm surviving. Changes have to be made. And I like the idea of 2 formfactors, pixie + pre is a good combination. Webos can handle different screen resolutions, use them!
  6.    #6  
    I really like the keyboard. @jason,longer and bigger.. then it would not be a palm pre.
    Some of the original Pre reviews said that it might be interesting to lose the physical keyboard so the Pre is thinner, but then add a virtual keyboard.

Many people seem to believe that a slightly bigger screen would be ok too, especially for web browsing.

So I think the Pre has scope to change form a little or to have some different versions.

Same for the Pixi, it's just a little too small for me.

iPhone is quite settled from an ergonomics point of view, although that extra screen resolution will be interesting and might bring problems. Due to it's size, the video conferencing will probably give a good view of your friend's nostrils as people will hold it below their head.
    agree! Just make the pre thinner
    I don't think that Palm / HP will pursue a business strategy like Apple's. I think they will try to emulate a mixture between the Google strategy and the Apple strategy, in-house. The Apple strategy being "keep the OS to yourself to stay vertically integrated" and the Google strategy being "spread the OS to as many different handsets as possible to capture a big chunk of the market by having something for almost anyone".

So I don't think that Palm will want to do away with the Pre form-factor, simply to hold on to that part of the audience that likes such a setup. I wouldn't be surprised however to see webOS on more than just a handful of different devices come this time next year. In that light, I'm not so sure if I expect Palm's next offering to follow the Pre mold; they might try and go for a different portion of the market with that. Landscape slider or (rather) touchscreen-only slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I really like the keyboard. @jason,longer and bigger.. then it would not be a palm pre.
    Either they lose the physical keyboard and extend the screen with a native virtual keyboard (thereby making the phone thinner) orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they make the phone longer (length) and bigger (width, not size) thereb giving it a Pixi form, but still making it look thin.

P.S - they should consider axing that crappy plastic look and get a glass screen already, this screen sucks, it cracks on its own. I can confirm that because mine got scratched with a damn screen protector right on it. Try some aluminum Palm and hope and pray Sprint doesnt get the iPhone 4 at anytime because if they do, your Pre will never be the same again.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I love my pre just the way it is. Please don't change it.
    The only thing I would change is to make the keyboard 'clickier' like the pixi.
    Apple always has a way of duping us into thinking that we have never seen the new features they add to their phones. Holy crap! 3G! Video Recording! A front facing camera! LED Flash! Multitasking! Whatever.

Granted I must admit, they have very smooth and likeable products. But this is how they brainwash the public...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    hmmm...disagreed...They should make it longer and bigger so they can put a keyboard on it just like the pixi, centro and treo 800 instead of puttting a shakey keyboard that pulls out. It'll look more elegant that way.
    If you want a Pixi type keyboard then I suggest that Palm change the Pixi to have a pre size screen and the same processor so people who do not want a slider keyboard will have an option. Don't mess with the Pre size and form factor - I think that it is the perfect size - perhaps a slightly larger screen, faster processor, zoom on the camera, Bluetooth sync, 4G radio and all the other bells and whistles without changing the form factor.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Pixi 2.4in screen, Pre with a 3.3in screen(same foot print/form factor as current) and a slab with a 3.7in screen(maybe 4in). Three devices should be good enough for the majority.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I always thought palm should make 3 devices.

the pixi - for intro to smartphone. (basic phone)
    the pre - Compact high end professional smartphone. (great, next gen specs)
    the pro - High end professional smartphone. (same specs as pre with different form factor)

Also, they need to launch the pixi on all major cell providers (sprint, at&t, verizon, and T mobile) with the pre and pro split up across the four.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    If Palm produces and maintains a well OS and hardware what other people do should have very little bearing.
  17. Gyd
    In my opinion, 3 basic shapes would be OK for everyone. Treo-like model is here, slider too, touchscreen with a bigger screen only could be the next step, if the official SW keyboard is introduced anytime in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLipson View Post
    I always thought palm should make 3 devices.

the pixi - for intro to smartphone. (basic phone)
    the pre - Compact high end professional smartphone. (great, next gen specs)
    the pro - High end professional smartphone. (same specs as pre with different form factor)

Also, they need to launch the pixi on all major cell providers (sprint, at&t, verizon, and T mobile) with the pre and pro split up across the four.
    I do like this lineup, however the pro should be a landscape slider with a big landscape keyboard, now that would be absolutely perfect
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I love my Pre's size and keyboard as they are.

To contend everyone, I suggest the following line-up as the the form-factor is concerned:
    - Pixi
    - Pre
    - one smartphone like The EVO 4G
    - and finally one tablet.
    I've said this many times, and I'm going to say it again: if Palm ever ditches the keyboard slider and goes slate large screen only, I'm ditching it and going back to my old Nokia pseudo-smartphone.

Though the BlackBerry 9800 looks interesting and could be my backup route.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast